VOGONS

First post, by olivil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!
I have a ThinkPad 380Z with a Crystal 4237B audio chipset running Windows 98SE.
I am trying to enable the use of the MS Wavetable Synth to play DOS games using GM.
I have installed the WDM drivers for my chipset and everything works well, including playing MIDI files in Windows but also the SB + Adlib emulation under DOS.
Under Control Panel->Multimedia->MIDI, the Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth is selected as a single instrument.
Looking under Device Manager, I see three devices:
- Crystal WDM Audio Codec
- Crystal WDM Audio Control Registers
- Crystal WDM MPU-401 Compatible

The only device with an address in the usual MIDI range is the MPU-401, using 330-333 and IRQ 9.
So here is my question.... When launching DOS games under Windows, should I hear sound when I set a General MIDI device at 330?
I can't hear anything, Duke3D's setup even says it can't locate a MPU-401 adapter at 330....
Of course, SB or Adlib emulation works.

Is there something I am missing?

Reply 1 of 6, by igna78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, maybe I remember correctly, but the MS Wavetable Synth only works in Windows and not in DOS window. If you run a game in DOS window then you won't get any sound.

I hope someone with more experience can say: hey you remembered wrong! ..and that it can then help you solve the problem 🤗

Reply 2 of 6, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, the Windows 9x Dos Box does not have its own MPU-401 Midi interface, it is up to the sound card driver to supply such services. And even then, like 99% of these drivers do not allow you to freely route midi to a Software Synth of your liking.

VDMsound can do it, but it is tricky and uncommon.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 3 of 6, by javispedro1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

actually its the opposite. With WDM drivers (aka sbemul.sys) , there is emulated mpu401 device which is redirected to whatever you select in the midi mapper, and there is absolutely no adlib/fm emulation (sbemul only emulates the opl timers but generates no sound).

Since you mention adlib emulation works, it means you already have some driver which is doing extra emulation inside dos boxes. May also explain why mpu cannot be redirected away from it. Perhaps the vortex driver itself.

See eg Routing DOS MPU-401 to Windows 98 MIDI mapper?

Reply 4 of 6, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sorry you are right. it seems;
https://msfn.org/board/topic/182729-exist-a-s … ator-for-win9x/

win9x have integrated SB emulation for own dos vm.
HKR,,NTMPDriver,,"sbemul.sys"
HKR,Drivers,SubClasses,,"wave,midi,mixer"

I suppose, back then, I was always using VXD drivers, and therefor never activated it.

Edit: For Crystal 4237B there are both VXD based and WDM based driver sets. First set is dated 1998, the WDM-one is from 1999. Though I suppose both are aimed at driving actual midi hardware attached to its MPU-401. Nothing attached meaning no sound.
Crystal ISA Audio Drivers for DOS/Windows + Extras

Reply 5 of 6, by olivil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Right! The WDM driver I have installed is the one linked. Further testing tells me that you guys are right, in a Windows DOS window the adlib/SB sound is a little different from the one I get in "pure DOS" mode (after a reboot to MS-DOS mode) so that's telling me what I'm hearing under Windows is probably the emulation mentioned.

So them am I right in assuming that the driver simply doesn't support redirecting MPU-401 to the Windows GS/GM synth?
Or is that supposed to work with all WDM drivers? Really unfamiliar with this!

Reply 6 of 6, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Since the ThinkPad 380Z has no gameport, you cannot attach hardware to the MPU-401's midi-pin. So that is like a dead-end.
- You can try the VDMsound trick in the link, of course.
- Maybe someone could tweak the driver configuration so it reverts to the microsoft sbemul.sys. I currently have no time, and assembled system, for that though.
- Or wait for someone to drop by with a better idea 😉