VOGONS

Should I get a Pentium 1 laptop?

Topic actions

First post, by Ryccardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello, while browsing the "local" classifieds I found a Thinkpad 365XD for sale at a fair price (not "I'd spend more eating fast food twice" but reasonable for being in working condition with all original accessories), so I got excited about it 😀

But to be honest I don't really know what can be reasonably done with a Pentium 1 of unknown speed, who knows how much memory (could be anything between 8 and 40 MB officially), and probably the original 1 GB disk that I don't have a replacement for handy?

Not particularly interested in "the newest games" or other cutting edge stuff, but the slowest computer I've ordinarily used* is a Pentium 3 Celeron with 64 MB which fairly quickly became 128; I would also guess that the lack of MMX in ~1999 is the lack of SSE2 of the 2010s?

* I did have a trash-picked "Pentium-S" desktop with 8MB/2GB for a few months maaaany years ago but I only really used it for Windows 3.1 until it broke and don't remember much about it, then last year I repaired and documented a 286 but pretty much had no use for it...

Reply 1 of 20, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ideal for DOS games, but don't expect much from the screen. Chances are you will see a lot of ghosting, except if you hook up a CRT or fast LCD.

CMOS battery is probably dead, but could be a standard CR2032, or soldered connector.
And check the hinges.

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 2 of 20, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Fast DOS computer or a slow Win95 one.

Laptop means crappy display (particularly back then), but no need for external CRT like with desktop.
Potentially more issues with sound & display (particularly in DOS) due to less common laptop hardware.

Personally I'd avoid unless you have a very specific laptop-centric use case in mind, but YMMV.

Reply 3 of 20, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not only will the screen be ghosty, these laptops have limited scaling capabilities. Non native resolution will be centered unscaled or jagged pixel stretched. And if it's passive matrix you will probably not be playing action games on it. It will also have a very old fluorescent tube.

Reply 4 of 20, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I once played all the through on Keen on a LTE 286 once back then when LTE 286 was cheap to get, not again. Take from me, a notebook with decent panel is rare. I know of one that is good is mono VGA TFT is ELITE 3/25e and compaq 486 models with TFT panels is not bad to find but sound is another matter.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 5 of 20, by gilly76

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a P133MMX laptop that I used for a while for MSDOS gaming (and some light Win95 work). I ended up connecting it to a CRT monitor and used a dock for more ports. Came with a 3.5inch floppy and CDRom (I replaced the 5gb HD with a CF to IDE card, used two, one for MSDOS and one for Win95). You'll be limited by upgradeability and the CMOS, like others said, will most likely be dead. I pulled mine out so it would leak and just adjust date/time as needed.

I recently picked up a P75 desktop, and while sig slower, I like that I can upgrade it and it's easier to replace broken parts.

Reply 6 of 20, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm most interested in 386-486-Pentium1 era of computers. I have each cpu-based desktop PC which all i keep in top-notch condition.
In addition, i thought about 2 years ago that i should maybe get a "fast hassle-free Win9x machine" in the form of laptop to do any ad-hoc activities.
I got Dell Latitude CPi A-series machine with Pentium II 366MHz. Upgraded it to have 256MB of ram, 4GB of CF-based HDD, etc.
But in reality, i've practically never used it. It's always a hassle to take it out. Its screen is not the best. (So often you would connect another screen to it) And in the end, in this really rare usage, the screen hinges still start to crack. (Need to find a good solution to fix it... Maybe superglue with soda on the inside?)

So in the end, i still go to my desktop machines. If you want to save some space, maybe go with super socket 7 mATX/AT machine using picoATX powersupply. Should be possible to get it really tiny. It's easier to just switch the hard drives (in the form of CF or SD memory cards) than to have different machines.

... and as mentioned - repairability and upgradeability. A laptop can't beat a desktop type machine.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 7 of 20, by Zeerex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you can find one with an active matrix screen they serve a good niche for DOS and Windows 3.1 - but you can run 95 just fine (don’t install IE4) and especially so if you have 16mb ram, and swap the storage to solid state. Some common good ones are the CDT series of Toshiba, or the Libretto 50CT-70CT. Good reasons for this era include dos portability (of course), typically decent DOS audio compatibility and non-neomagic graphics.

Reply 8 of 20, by Dooser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think it's worth getting if it's running and if the display looks good. Uses a coin-cell CMOS battery.

Check for TFT vs. DSTN using the model number or by the number of sliders on the display: you want the single-slider TFT.

I wouldn't pay more than $100 unless it's in perfect condition.

Reply 9 of 20, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When I was studying Software Engineering in 1995, a friend came in with a Pentium laptop, and the whole class was impressed seeing it run Doom. Given where he got his tech stuff (don't ask!), I would guess it was high end for the year.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 10 of 20, by Blavius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've got a Thinkpad 760 with a TFT screen (single slider on screen!), P1-133, 48Mb ram. I love it! But of course my reasons are particular to my situation:
-As I don't have a permanent spot for my retro stuff, its a lot less hassle to take out a laptop than to set up a desktop.
-Dos,Windows 95 and Pentium 1's were central to my early teens and give me a warm feeling.
-It's good for running late DOS games that I loved in my youth (DOOM, C&C/Red Alert).

There are cons of course:
-Screen is 800x600, and doesn't scale super nice. Not really an issue for me though, once I'm in a game I don't really notice it.
-The p1-133 is good for dos, but forget win95 games (Tiberian sun, Quake2, StarCraft).

So should you do it? Depends on what scratches your itch; I personally do not have interest in playing games from 'before my time' - the matching hardware is therefore also not as interesting to me. Sure, I had 8086 and 80286's, but after the novelty wore off, I simply did not use them. Also, if you have the space, a desktop is more rewarding as you can upgrade various components.

Reply 11 of 20, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I''ve always though attach an external screen and mouse and you have the basics of a dos PC that takes up no where near as much room up.
For the hard drive you can probably convert to CF of SD card if needed.

Main problem with laptops is getting files on them if it doesn't have a CD drive or its dead but using a CF/SD card would help that as well.

Reply 12 of 20, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As long as the screen is active matrix, then sure thing.
I have two Pentium MMX laptops, a Dell XPi-CD with a 166mmx
And a Gateway Solo with a Tillamook 266.

I upgraded the passive matrix screen on the Gateway to a active matrix TFT, upgraded the RAM and even upgraded the CPU from a 166 to the Tillamook.
Both have DOS ready sound chips and are excellent for DOS gaming in my opinion.

Reply 16 of 20, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jasin Natael wrote on 2022-11-14, 21:28:

I like retro laptops. I have like 11 of them, ranging from the Pentium MMX to Pentium M. But maybe I am the odd man out in this regard.

You are not alone, mate.

For reasons of space saving I collect almost exclusively laptops. In my humble opinion collection of desktops simply doesn't fit a human habitation. And of course I buy those laptops with plans to use them with external monitor in mind, and no, those are not a CRT beasts for the same reasons of space saving.

From my little experience there is no one perfect model of laptop that you've bought and you're done. So I'd say that buying several different laptops is a more realistic plan.

Also keep in mind that there are several models of laptops which docking stations are able to accommodate ISA and/or PCI slots.

Reply 17 of 20, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It could be decent for DOS. Check the screen and look up the sound card. A quick lookup says it was shipped with both TFT and DSTN screen, but I didn't find the exact parameters, and the sound chip is an ESS ES1688, for which the manufacturer is known to have good DOS sound cards, but I didn't find much about this exact chip.

Also there is this I didn't watch: https://youtu.be/g_ycRi1SDFU
There might be some useful info here.

If the hard drive fails, it can most likely be replaced with a CF card and adapter, as for data transfer, it has PCMCIA slots and should have parallel port.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 18 of 20, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

to be honest unless it was very cheap or free i wouldn't now - they can be limited in options, components, maintenance, data transfer let alone performance and software scope

still fun, but wouldn't go looking for one now when instead you might get a P2 or P3 era laptop with usb and handy things plus (most) of the backward compatibility you want for DOS etc

Reply 19 of 20, by Ryccardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for all the opinions! I guess I'll pass as a matter of principle for having raised the price (69 to 75), it's the STN model by the way which apparently is 256 colors only?

Same seller has a DEC RL01 hard disk, curiously...

So alternate plan it is then, R40 if I can get the seller to accept pickup or maybe I'll just fix my Vectra VL400 (another thank you to GigaHerz for reminding me about those things as the original power brick is nonstandard in size...)