VOGONS

First post, by flynth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've got a Pentium II 350 SL2S6. It came with an enormous but passive cooler/radiator (no fan). When running it doing nothing in BIOS it does get warm to touch. I wonder, do those CPUs always come with active heating? Or is it fine to run my CPU as it? It looks like this: https://www.tiger-technik.de/images/product_i … ages/6285_1.jpg

I also found one online with exact same radiator with a fan attached on the side, but also many similar ones for sale with no fans.

So what is the proper way to run them?

This is how it sits in the case. It looks like it might cook there...

Compress_20221120_183652_2018.jpg
Filename
Compress_20221120_183652_2018.jpg
File size
510.56 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Do I need to add a case fan?

Back in the day I had a slot 1 celeron (266, or 300) and I remember it having an intel fan, but I never saw a "proper" p2 back then.

Reply 1 of 8, by slivercr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Retail ones came with a fan right on the heatsink.
OEM ones usually had big heatsinks and pushed air through it with ducts or well placed fans.

I'd be sure to have some airflow through it to keep it cool.

Outrigger: an ongoing adventure with the OR840
QuForce FX 5800: turn your Quadro into a GeForce

Reply 2 of 8, by AlexZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would attach a small fan on side of heat sink.

I see you've got a VIA 693 board. That will give you terrible performance with PII. If you care just about DOS then I would recommend getting a cheap early 440BX board with 3x ISA (100Mhz FSB only, no PIII support). If you want run Windows 98 on it then get at least mid 440BX board with 2x ISA. Mostly late 440BX boards are stable at 133Mhz FSB. Those usually have 1x ISA.

Pentium III 900E, ECS P6BXT-A+, 384MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 128MB, Voodoo 2 12MB, 80GB HDD, Yamaha SM718 ISA, 19" AOC 9GlrA
Athlon 64 3400+, MSI K8T Neo V, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT 512MB, 250GB HDD, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 3 of 8, by smtkr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
AlexZ wrote on 2022-11-20, 18:09:

I see you've got a VIA 693 board. That will give you terrible performance with PII. If you care just about DOS then I would recommend getting a cheap early 440BX board with 3x ISA (100Mhz FSB only, no PIII support). If you want run Windows 98 on it then get at least mid 440BX board with 2x ISA. Mostly late 440BX boards are stable at 133Mhz FSB. Those usually have 1x ISA.

I mean, if you are running DOS, you're not hawking the difference in performance between a 440BX and a VIA chipset on a Pentium 2. You already have overkill performance.

This hobby of ours doesn't require absolute convergence on VOGONS' members collective preference for 440BX. It's all about experimenting. I love that people are messing around with other stuff.

Reply 4 of 8, by flynth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
smtkr wrote on 2022-11-20, 19:33:
AlexZ wrote on 2022-11-20, 18:09:

I mean, if you are running DOS, you're not hawking the difference in performance between a 440BX and a VIA chipset on a Pentium 2. You already have overkill performance.

This hobby of ours doesn't require absolute convergence on VOGONS' members collective preference for 440BX. It's all about experimenting. I love that people are messing around with other stuff.

Thanks for the info. I'll make sure to put a fan in there. I have to get some standalone pwm thermal controllers as there is little worse to me than a tiny fan running at full speed all the time.

Performance wise, thanks for the tip, but I think it is useful to quantify "terrible performance". From what I read we're talking about at the very worst 35%.

For the purpose of a late DOS, early Windows 98 games and various other non-performance intensive software this is perfectly fine. In fact I had an almost exact same setup back in the day with the exception of running a Celeron and a pretty cheap gpu(so it was even worse). However, having said that I do want an option to push this machine faster that's why I was trying to get a coppermine cpu running on it, but the highest this motherboard will go is 6x multiplier. So I'm getting a P3 600/100 (in all likelyhood it will sit in the drawer for the most time).

Also a big requirement for this build was an AT format (no atx) and isa slots due to wanting to use my NOS great AT tower case. Perhaps if I see a bx motherboard that fits those requirements I'll get it. For now I'm really happy that this p2 turned out to have an unlocked multiplier. So far I only could run it at 100mhz fsb so the lowest it went was 200mhz. If I do manage to get 66mhz working I woukd love to hook up the turbo button and the frequency display to switch between let's say 350mhz and 132mhz (not without reboot of course). That would be really cool.

If someone knows of a really good motherboard for slot1 in AT form factor that will run p2 as well as P3 coppermine (no longer than 5 slots). Please do let me know.

Reply 5 of 8, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Later DOS games that can run 640x480 or higher will usually benefit from faster CPUs. A Pentium 3 is actually an excellent choice.

Sure there are also oldies that will run too fast but DOS is quite a mixture of games.

Reply 6 of 8, by flynth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote on 2022-11-21, 01:07:

Later DOS games that can run 640x480 or higher will usually benefit from faster CPUs. A Pentium 3 is actually an excellent choice.

Sure there are also oldies that will run too fast but DOS is quite a mixture of games.

I have yet to receive the one I hope will work. BTW, could you suggest some good games from the (late dos, early win98) era? I really only know the classics(quakes, doom, Duke 3d, fallout 1&2, starcraft). However, most are really windows games so any that I felt were too slow on my win98 build should run "blazingly fast" on the winXP build (I havent decided between an early p4 or athlon 64, gts 250 as graphics as I happen to have one).

I built the win98 pc mainly for other software, but I would live to play some games (especially, good ones I don't know - my favourite genre is anything fast paced).

Reply 7 of 8, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How about:

Build engine games like Duke 3D, Blood, Shadow Warrior, Tekwar.
Quake was originally DOS
Cybermage
Bioforge
Terra Nova Strike Force Centauri
System Shock
Strike Commander
Wing Commander 3
Wings of Glory
Pacific Strike
EA / Janes flight sims
Mechwarrior 2 was originally DOS
TIE Fighter Collector's CDROM edition (SVGA support, expansions included, MIDI music)
Star Trek TNG A Final Unity
Carmageddon
Crusader No Remorse / No Regret
Need For Speed
Screamer
Magic Carpet
Master of Orion
Master of Magic
XCom / XCom Terror From The Deep

Turn based strategy games get slower as the campaign develops so CPU helped there.

I suggest you go here and do an archaeological dig. 😉
https://cgwmuseum.org/

Last edited by swaaye on 2022-11-21, 19:14. Edited 7 times in total.

Reply 8 of 8, by AlexZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

NVidia gts 250 can't run Windows 98 games well as it requires a driver that is too new. You need a GeForce 4 or FX paired with PIII or Athlon. Running Windows 98 games in Windows XP is not a good option at all. PIII AT boards tend to be quite poor - usually VIA 693 chipset with inferior performance and poor AGP stability.

Pentium III 900E, ECS P6BXT-A+, 384MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 128MB, Voodoo 2 12MB, 80GB HDD, Yamaha SM718 ISA, 19" AOC 9GlrA
Athlon 64 3400+, MSI K8T Neo V, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT 512MB, 250GB HDD, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS