VOGONS

First post, by fool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My interest for CS9233 synth began by repairing Terratec SOWT-11 watetable daughter board. I had to replace most of the main ICs to get some audio out of it, so at the same time I had to do reverse engineering. Thanks to Tiido! Eventually I had the whole schematic on my screen and decided to build it. I have some experiments ongoing how to get the best out of that chip. Of course there are also some flaws. For example big capacitors are placed and selected poorly. As I've been waiting for new PCB's I recorded this DOOM 2 END GAME track to which I can compare against later.

No high expectations.

Here's the first real recording with SB CT2940 + CS9233 WT
DOOM2 END GAME https://soundcloud.com/fool6/doom2-endgame?si … =social_sharing

Attachments

• cs9233_wt.JPG
    Filename
    cs9233_wt.JPG
    File size
    243.78 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by fool on 2023-01-04, 16:24. Edited 1 time in total.

Toshiba T8500 desktop
SAM/CS9233 Wavetable Synthesizer daughterboard
Coming: 40-pin 8MB SIMM kit, CS4232 ISA wavetable sound card

Reply 1 of 20, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice project!

Keep it going!

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 2 of 20, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Very nice ~

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 3 of 20, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Very cool!
AFAIK CS9233 is a relabeled or license-produced Dream SAM9233. "This device is available as the result of a technology partnership between Crystal Semi-conductor Corporation and DREAM S.A. of France."

I had a 4MB SAM9233 daughter board failing spectacularly a few months ago, when a tantalum capacitor burned out. I still have to repair it, maybe I can learn something here.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 4 of 20, by fool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gerwin wrote on 2022-11-24, 00:02:

Very cool!
AFAIK CS9233 is a relabeled or license-produced Dream SAM9233. "This device is available as the result of a technology partnership between Crystal Semi-conductor Corporation and DREAM S.A. of France."

I had a 4MB SAM9233 daughter board failing spectacularly a few months ago, when a tantalum capacitor burned out. I still have to repair it, maybe I can learn something here.

Thats good! Not that it's broken, but because you will have to look it more closely. I have 4MB version coming and may need some help with it. Already fixed couple of minor layout issues today. It's kind of swedish "tårta på tårta" design with optional 1MB or 2x2MB ROMs and effects processor in two different packages. Would be a miracle if it rocks.

Toshiba T8500 desktop

Reply 5 of 20, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
fool wrote on 2022-11-24, 18:24:

Thats good! Not that it's broken, but because you will have to look it more closely. I have 4MB version coming and may need some help with it. Already fixed couple of minor layout issues today. It's kind of swedish "tårta på tårta" design with optional 1MB or 2x2MB ROMs and effects processor in two different packages. Would be a miracle if it rocks.

Sure, hope I can help. I have two different Terratec 4MB models and one 1MB model. Another such 9233 synth is on a Terratec Maestro 32/96 sound card.

Reply 6 of 20, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerwin wrote on 2022-11-24, 00:02:

Very cool!

Yes, they are one and the same. Crystal licensed the design, software code, and MIDI instrument sounds from DREAM (Atmel) in the early 90's, including the knock-off Roland GS bank that triggered a lawsuit from Roland at the same time Roland had just licensed their GS sounds to Microsoft and Apple and console gaming studios that wanted to use MIDI in their games, while also beginning to offer their Virtual Sound Canvas software.

Reply 7 of 20, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RetroGamer4Ever wrote on 2022-11-24, 20:22:

Yes, they are one and the same. Crystal licensed the design, software code, and MIDI instrument sounds from DREAM (Atmel) in the early 90's, including the knock-off Roland GS bank that triggered a lawsuit from Roland at the same time Roland had just licensed their GS sounds to Microsoft and Apple and console gaming studios that wanted to use MIDI in their games, while also beginning to offer their Virtual Sound Canvas software.

Yes, I heard about that lawsuit.
I actually like the pre-lawsuit Dream illegal soundbanks a little more then those made after the Dream/Roland-agreement. The former are my personal favorite Hardware Midi boards. Cancun FX being an example of the latter, which has a little too much bass. But all of them are great.

@fool
Below are large images of the hardware I mentioned. I don't have the back-sides on photo now.

EDIT:
Here are more such images by vogons member CHiLL72: https://www.waveblaster.nl
Here are more such images by vogons member Salient: https://www.wavetable.nl/daughterboards
The Netherlands and Belgium are the place to be now, for Dream-based midi sound 😉...
Also this place, by vogons member kira, now only an incomplete backup: https://web.archive.org/web/20110710232559/ht … ble.web.fc2.com

MEH18SN_t.jpg
MEH18SQ_t.jpg
MEH18SS_t.jpg
MEH18SU_t.jpg
MEH18V6_t.jpg

Reply 8 of 20, by fool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Build couple of pieces with rev2 PWB. This has options for CS8905 effect processor in two packages and 2+2MB or 1MB ROM configurations.
This revision has also "better" opamp, newer DAC and "audio grade" DC-block capacitors. Uploaded couple if DOOM 2 tracks, but haven't analysed those yet. Probably difference is close to zero. Biggest difference is that CS8905 version volume level is only half of. CS9233 mixes main synth and effect channels together multiplied by 0.5. Because there's no effects in DOOM 2 tracks the output level will be half. I amplified recordings some level but still much quieter than previous recordings.
DOOM 2 ENTRYWAY: https://on.soundcloud.com/FxMgD
DOOM 2 ENDGAME: https://on.soundcloud.com/eYqbG

I heard that 4MB ROM needs different firmware, nevertheless I had to try how it sounds. (board in the second picture) Produced "music" was strange like modern art. Some DOOM 2 tracks were still recognizable. Still that wasn't fun enough to actually record it what was my original intention. Logically next step is to find proper firmware.

Attachments

• CS9233_PWB_rev2_1MB.JPG
    Filename
    CS9233_PWB_rev2_1MB.JPG
    File size
    373.11 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • CS9233_PWB_rev2_4MB.JPG
    Filename
    CS9233_PWB_rev2_4MB.JPG
    File size
    425.54 KiB
    Views
    File license

Toshiba T8500 desktop

Reply 9 of 20, by fool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Build this "latest latest & final" rev C. I really hope it will be the final revision.
This time I used SAM8905-1 because it looks badass and I need to verify it's functionality.
According to Dream datasheet it should be the second revision issue, 64MHz. Same as Crystal CS8905A, but in different package. So it's just oversized chip doing much nothing, but looks cool.
There should be also third revision of that chip, but I've never seen one.

Everything is hand soldered in about 2 hours - headache follows.

Attachments

• 9233_revC.JPG
    Filename
    9233_revC.JPG
    File size
    641.19 KiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by fool on 2023-01-15, 06:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Toshiba T8500 desktop

Reply 10 of 20, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
fool wrote on 2023-01-14, 12:19:
Build this "latest latest & final" rev C. I really hope it will be the final revision. This time I used SAM8905-1 because it loo […]
Show full quote

Build this "latest latest & final" rev C. I really hope it will be the final revision.
This time I used SAM8905-1 because it looks badass and I need to verify it's functionality.
According to Dream datasheet it should be the second revision issue, 64MHz. Same as Crystal CS8905A, but if different package. So it's just oversized chip doing much nothing, but looks cool.

Wow... I'm completely impressed.

It'd take me a LOT longer than 2 hours to solder all of that... and it would not have turned out that well.

Nice job!

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 11 of 20, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks good ~

Reply 12 of 20, by fool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Finally the 4MB ROM version is rocking!
Here's some very first samples that were easy to record.

(sorry about the mandatory Doom E1M1)

UFO Enemy Unknown Intro https://on.soundcloud.com/73p5A
Duke3D Lunar - Reactor E2M7 https://on.soundcloud.com/ca55E
Doom E1M1 https://on.soundcloud.com/2LhKm
Doom II Entryway https://on.soundcloud.com/sdDv4

First thoughts... It certanly more alive compared to 1MB. Some highs are a bit too loud and sounds weird...not in balance. Maybe it needs low-pass filter tuning.
But I'm glad it works after all.

Last edited by fool on 2023-03-10, 20:14. Edited 2 times in total.

Toshiba T8500 desktop

Reply 13 of 20, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

oh this does sound nice , kudos!
I have the bad version with the 1mb rom 🤣 now I wish there were pads to upgrade

KEtMLAkl.jpg

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 14 of 20, by fool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well...I would not say it's bad. There are also some horrible ones 😁 It lacks some detail but still performs quite well in many titles. "Lower quality, well balanced" I would say.
Some intrumets are even better, or easier, to the ear. I have found many weird ones in 4MB that should be remapped.

Toshiba T8500 desktop

Reply 15 of 20, by fool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Regarding this period correct game with mediocre multimedia speakers some of the drums are quite pointless. 4MB wave table is more colorful and has some really nice sounds, as long as listening from quality monitors or headphones.

Attachments

• Filename
    LOL-Yvel_DREAM_4MB.mp3
    File size
    2.33 MiB
    Downloads
    56 downloads
    File comment
    Lands of Lore - Yvel (CS9233+CS8905A 4MB)
    File license
  • Filename
    LOL-Yvel_DREAM_1MB.mp3
    File size
    2.27 MiB
    Downloads
    59 downloads
    File comment
    Lands of Lore - Yvel (CS9233+SAM8905-1 1MB)
    File license

Toshiba T8500 desktop

Reply 16 of 20, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Very nice ~

Reply 19 of 20, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
fool wrote on 2023-01-14, 12:19:
Build this "latest latest & final" rev C. I really hope it will be the final revision. This time I used SAM8905-1 because it loo […]
Show full quote

According to Dream datasheet it should be the second revision issue, 64MHz. Same as Crystal CS8905A, but in different package. So it's just oversized chip doing much nothing, but looks cool.

Nice work on the smd parts! Two hours is a long time to focus when dealing with tiny components. I'm guessing you finished around C9 and were starting to fight against fallibility.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder