VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The upcoming game The Callisto Protocol will be available in two versions, the normal edition for £49.99, and the Deluxe Edition at £69.99

And among the extras that come with the deluxe edition are a dozen new death animations. Yes, pay extra and you get a few extra death animations (which may or may not have been part of the base game originally, I don't know).

How much longer before we get a game where you have to pay extra to activate the "Load Save Game" prompt? Or pay a one time fee and you can access the game's options menu just as often as you like. But only up to four times per month, anything more and you have to repay the fee. And we'll probably see game over screens where the "Load Last Saved Game" prompts is time-locked for two minutes, unless you buy the company's special "VIP pass" that prevents you from having to wait for those two minutes.

And we stupid, stupid gamers, will support all of this by buying the games instead of boycotting them.

I wonder if we will ever reach the point where something a company does is so ridiculous or unscrupulous that we gamers actually act together as a group and refuse to buy a game that we previously wanted to buy?

Reply 1 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well it has denuvo and people will still buy so....never. The vast majority of gamers don't care, they want a distraction and those who buy the extras have FOMO. The NFT thing was the closest but as you can see the controversy had died down and its slowly leaking in as predicted. You bother to complain and the response is "it's just games", no its your money, time and property but again that requires thought when they just want the next distraction. Sigh, if I was a corrupt POS I'd be filthy rich.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 8, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kerr Avon wrote on 2022-11-24, 14:22:

The upcoming game The Callisto Protocol will be available in two versions, the normal edition for £49.99, and the Deluxe Edition at £69.99

And among the extras that come with the deluxe edition are a dozen new death animations. Yes, pay extra and you get a few extra death animations (which may or may not have been part of the base game originally, I don't know).

How much longer before we get a game where you have to pay extra to activate the "Load Save Game" prompt? Or pay a one time fee and you can access the game's options menu just as often as you like. But only up to four times per month, anything more and you have to repay the fee. And we'll probably see game over screens where the "Load Last Saved Game" prompts is time-locked for two minutes, unless you buy the company's special "VIP pass" that prevents you from having to wait for those two minutes.

Microtransaction has evolved. Now you get a more complete game with more money.

Kerr Avon wrote on 2022-11-24, 14:22:

I wonder if we will ever reach the point where something a company does is so ridiculous or unscrupulous that we gamers actually act together as a group and refuse to buy a game that we previously wanted to buy?

There will always be some purchasers, the world has never been united as ever.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 3 of 8, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wonder how hard it is to create awareness that things like DRM, microtransactions, and loot boxes just plain suck. That in the past we didn't have such shits. That old games are as exciting, if not more exciting, than games today, despite simpler graphics.

I went down with stomach ache, but still managed to play Air Force Commander --a DOS game, naturally comes without microtransactions and such-- with my
3 years old cheering me while sitting on my lap. If the entire gaming industry collapsed, it doesn't affect me at all, because I'm happy with old games from either GoG or my own collection of boxed games.

Now, imagine if majority of gamers are like that: happily contended with old games from GoG, ebay, and even abandonware sites! Then shits like microtransactions and Denuvo would cease to exist, because nobody would buy such modern games anymore.

If only we could spread such awareness, that things like microtransactions, that we can live without modern games because old games are no less exciting...

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 4 of 8, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As usual, the game will be available as a price-reduced GOTY edition in 1-2 years and it will come with all of the content.

So the only people losing are the ones that buy it on release. Patience is a wonderful thing.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 5 of 8, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kerr Avon wrote:

How much longer before we get a game where you have to pay extra to activate the "Load Save Game" prompt?

F2P games had monetized revives for ages. And all big publishers are basically just copycatting the scumiest solutions from F2P.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 6 of 8, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote on 2022-11-24, 14:33:

Well it has denuvo and people will still buy so....never. The vast majority of gamers don't care, they want a distraction and those who buy the extras have FOMO. The NFT thing was the closest but as you can see the controversy had died down and its slowly leaking in as predicted. You bother to complain and the response is "it's just games", no its your money, time and property but again that requires thought when they just want the next distraction. Sigh, if I was a corrupt POS I'd be filthy rich.

You hit the nail on the head, My Money, My Time and My Choice, so long none of this is affecting you then let them do what they wish. Now you might go on to say that this made you not want to buy the game but you have the same freedom of choice as the people who do buy it and I don't see them here complaining about you not buying the game.

So let people do as they wish, even if it really grinds your gears, not with 10,000 people refusing to buy this game could you affect any change and if you think for one second you had a chance just take a look at the mobile gaming market, we lost this war before it started.

There are simply some things you cannot change and corporate greed is one of them nor can you change the apathy and stupidity of people who have cash and time to burn and don't care a damn about MTX in their games.

Reply 7 of 8, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What started in game industry, now has infected automobile industry as well. Mercedes-Benz to introduce acceleration subscription fee.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 8 of 8, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

They may have abandoned it since, but a few years ago Sony sold extra functionality for some of their cameras as downloads. Eh, looks like they still do it.

https://www.playmemoriescameraapps.com/portal/