VOGONS

Regressive bugs - report them here

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 117, by Ringtail

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

dgVoodoo 2.79.1 appears to have introduced a minor issue in Lego Island; it appears to be related to D3DImm.dll. The score cube's dynamic lighting is broken, and the side that started off facing the player remains lit while the other three sides remain dark, rather than changing with the light source.
The rest of the game appears fine, though this might be affecting other objects and I haven't noticed since they're smaller and aren't constantly rotating in place. From other graphics testing I've done with this game however, the Score Cube seems to operate very weirdly compared to everything else (for instance, when running the game without dgVoodoo, depending on the version of D3DRM I'm using, it will either not display at all while everything else is fine, or it will be the only 3D object that displays while everything else in the game is broken).

CRXEPkf.png
2.79.0 on left, 2.79.1+ on right

Video demonstration.

Settings used in both cases: Force point sampled, Antialiasing 8x, Force vSync; otherwise using default DirectX settings.

There's also a much older issue that first appeared in 2.71.3, again related to D3DImm.dll. The game is already shinier-looking than normal with dgVoodoo (though going by some old E3 1997 footage this is what it's supposed to look like), but the racetrack in particular now has some major issues that it did not have prior to that version, where many surfaces are far too reflective and flicker a shine effect. This does occasionally happen even without dgVoodoo, but something in 2.71.3 amplified the issue.

Video demonstration, visible at 0:09 and 0:22.

Reply 61 of 117, by Mplode

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Regression bug in dgVoodoo 2.76 in Dark Age of Camelot (DAoC). Very old game (2001) but still active today. Supports free to play and can be downloaded here: https://trial.darkageofcamelot.com/

Some ground textures/rendering look blurry with dgVoodoo when "Atlantis Terrain" option is enabled in game. Maybe blurry is the wrong word. It looks like a fog effect rendered on top of the base ground texture.

I tested several versions of dgVoodoo to see where the regression occurred...

2.79.3 - bad
2.76.1 - bad
2.76 - bad (regression happened here?)
2.75.1 - good
2.74.1 - good
2.72 - good

2.75.1 and older look fine.

My setup: Windows 10 (x64), NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 (4 GB), driver version 517.48 (latest), game is 32-bit and uses DX9, bug is in dgVoodoo D3D9.dll.

dgVoodoo settings can't seem to fix the bug (I've tried everything I can think of). I'm typically using default settings + Direct3D 12 (feature level 12.0), 4096 MB VRAM, force trilinear filtering, 4x MSAA, because those settings are a nice balance of performance and quality on my machine.

Atlantis Terrain OFF (looks fine with or without dgVoodoo, but I don't usually play the game configured like this)

1.jpg
Filename
1.jpg
File size
106.71 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Atlantis Terrain ON (this is how it's supposed to look)

2.jpg
Filename
2.jpg
File size
90.41 KiB
Views
File license

Atlantis Terrain ON with dgVoodoo 2.76 or newer (this shows the bug)

3.jpg
Filename
3.jpg
File size
41.98 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 62 of 117, by Aurel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I just updated dgVoodoo and noticed a big visual quality regression from 2.79.2 version for most of my ddraw games
From this version my games are very pixelated I think it's because of this change in 2.79.2 "Changing scaling of cpu-written surface data from bilinear to point sampled"
Any tip to resolve the problem and to get again a "nice" scaled result with the lastest versions?

Reply 63 of 117, by yochenhsieh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Possible regression between 2.7.3 ~2.7.9.3:
Star Trek Hidden Evil
Windows 11 22H2 + Windows98 compatibility mode + disable fullscreen optimization + old quicktime files*

The game working with 2.7.3, although pre-rendered video don't have sound*
But 2.7.9.3 the game will crash with Glide and DirectX.

*see Star Trek Hidden Evil no sound when playing pre-rendered video (I think not dgvoodoo problem)

Reply 64 of 117, by mgtroyas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In many 3dfx games, when gaming fullscreen, now I have the real mouse cursor stuck in one side of the image, centered vertically, while the ingame cursor works ok. It doesn't happen on the DirectX version of the games. Any way to hide it?

I'm on Windows 11 with a Radeon RX580. Tested on Redline Racer and POD.

Edit: just discovered pressing alt-enter to switch to window mode then again to enter fullscreen back hides the cursor.

Reply 65 of 117, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Aurel wrote on 2022-10-14, 11:24:

Hi, I just updated dgVoodoo and noticed a big visual quality regression from 2.79.2 version for most of my ddraw games
From this version my games are very pixelated I think it's because of this change in 2.79.2 "Changing scaling of cpu-written surface data from bilinear to point sampled"
Any tip to resolve the problem and to get again a "nice" scaled result with the lastest versions?

Bilinear filtering caused a lot of glitches in other games (when upscaling content into texture for example) so I made it be point sampled.
Whether blurry or pixelated 2D elements are nicer is debatable, but anyway I could rename option 'DirectX\BilinearBlitStretch' to 'Bilinear 2D scaling' or sg like that, and tie the CPU-written data filtering to that in the next version (DD blit and CPU operations).

Lego Island: thx for the report, fixed

Reply 67 of 117, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mirh wrote on 2022-11-25, 00:00:

A nice new trick with bilinear filtering that I have seen btw.

Actually the same happens in dgVoodoo frame postprocessing (with the selected resampling filter) when an integer scaled image is (down)scaled into the desktop resolution for presentation.

Reply 70 of 117, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mitradis wrote on 2023-03-26, 23:22:

NEED FOR SPEED HOT PURSUIT 2 CRASHED IN 2.8 VERSION!

Any specific conditions, like dx11/12, or a location somewhere in the game, maybe a config option? I tried it but it works for me.

Reply 71 of 117, by Joshhhuaaa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A weird regression bug that I find occurs on v2.80 but not v2.79.3, found it by complete accident:

I've tried DirectX8 Splinter Cell Chaos Theory Versus Mode (very limited joystick support, pretty much useless), and I tried DirectX9 Splinter Cell Double Agent for the hell of it (and that supports XInput).

If I have a Xbox One controller connected and start the game. If a resolution switch occurs in-game, like a user going in video settings and switches his resolution or simply Alt+Tabbing out of the game and Alt+Tabbing back in will crash the game. Basically anything that makes the game flicker/go out of focus for a second. This crash did not occur on dgVoodoo 2.79.3 or any older versions that I have tried.

This can be very annoying I'd imagine if someone wants to play a game with a controller, they can't alt+tab. More games might need tested, since I've only tried Splinter Cell games, but they worked perfectly fine in the previous dgVoodoo version.
Could possibly related to that Need For Speed post, since I assume most would use a controller on it and you are not experiencing it on your end.

Reply 72 of 117, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Joshhhuaaa wrote on 2023-03-30, 05:02:
A weird regression bug that I find occurs on v2.80 but not v2.79.3, found it by complete accident: […]
Show full quote

A weird regression bug that I find occurs on v2.80 but not v2.79.3, found it by complete accident:

I've tried DirectX8 Splinter Cell Chaos Theory Versus Mode (very limited joystick support, pretty much useless), and I tried DirectX9 Splinter Cell Double Agent for the hell of it (and that supports XInput).

If I have a Xbox One controller connected and start the game. If a resolution switch occurs in-game, like a user going in video settings and switches his resolution or simply Alt+Tabbing out of the game and Alt+Tabbing back in will crash the game. Basically anything that makes the game flicker/go out of focus for a second. This crash did not occur on dgVoodoo 2.79.3 or any older versions that I have tried.

This can be very annoying I'd imagine if someone wants to play a game with a controller, they can't alt+tab. More games might need tested, since I've only tried Splinter Cell games, but they worked perfectly fine in the previous dgVoodoo version.
Could possibly related to that Need For Speed post, since I assume most would use a controller on it and you are not experiencing it on your end.

Could you test it with this version, plz?
Re: dgVodooo 2.7.x and related WIP versions (2)

Reply 73 of 117, by Joshhhuaaa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote on 2023-04-04, 19:46:
Joshhhuaaa wrote on 2023-03-30, 05:02:
A weird regression bug that I find occurs on v2.80 but not v2.79.3, found it by complete accident: […]
Show full quote

Could you test it with this version, plz?
Re: dgVodooo 2.7.x and related WIP versions (2)

Works just fine on the WIP build, no crashes with a controller plugged in during Alt+Tab's or resolution switches.

Update: Just to confirm dgVoodoo 2.8.1 is also working good, problem is solved.

Reply 75 of 117, by mgtroyas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

DirectX version of Carmaggedon uses 640x480 resolution. Before and ingame there's no problem but when in the menus during or after a race, the game aparrently tries to write only on the 640x400 region, so the top and bottom parts of the screen show flashing garbage when using DgVoodoo. In real hardware those parts of the screen are drawn black.

Carma.gif