VOGONS

First post, by Harlock

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, maybe anyone can shed some light on what I'm doing wrong?
I'm using a Win 98 PIII 866Mhz with a SB Live! 5.1, drivers installed, Win 98 SE, so far everything works flawlessly.
I do also have 4-pin cables going from the SB Live! to both CD/DVD drives.

I'm testing Outlaws (with CDs), but I got no cd-audio in game.
I tried the CD Reaser from the Windows accessories, I got CD-Audio from one of the CD/DVD drives, but nothing on the other one.
So I try to launch the game by using the CD drive that actually outputs audio but....no result 😳

Any idea about this, or what could be checked to troubleshooting this issue?

Cheers.

Reply 1 of 5, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

check the pinout diagram on the drive and check the pinout diagram for the sb and make sure the wires are going where they are supposed to go. Not all manufactures used the same pinouts. Next what drivers are you using WDM or VXDs. It makes a difference. The WDM drivers might use digital from the ide cable, the vxds might use the audio cables from the header.

Reply 2 of 5, by Harlock

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmmm I really can't remember what drivers,, I downloaded the Creative SoundBlaster Live driver ISO and installed it from there.
About the pinouts, gotta check that, but I suppose that one of them is plugged correctly, as I do have cd audio from one of the CD/DVD drives, just not in game music.
Just to clarify, it's not the FX sounds etc..., those are fine, just the cd audio tracks that are missing 😀

Reply 3 of 5, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

if everything is right with the setup, in the control panel, check the multimedia control panel, under cd audio tab, check enable digital audo playback from this device. That will play digital audio throguh the IDE cable, not trough the 4 pin header. I would try that after you made sure the headers were wired correctly.

If you have the WDM drivers installed and not the VXDs than that probably fixes your problem. The defualt install from the driver CD is WDM drivers.... So it sounds like what you have...If you installed VXD drivers you would know the difference, becasue thats actually optional, and its what most people do. Becasue they are more compatible running DOS games under windows.

Reply 4 of 5, by Harlock

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, well I use other systems with IDE cards for better DOS compatibility.
Anyways, thanks a lot, the issue is sorted out, I checked the "enable digital audio playback from this device", although this option is greyed out, the default drive letter was the virtual drive (Daemon tools), switched it to one of the physical ones and it worked! 😉

Reply 5 of 5, by MadMac_5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This may seem like an obvious question, but is the CD-audio muted in the mixer? I know that on a SB Live if you have "What U Hear" selected as a recording source, sometimes the analog CD audio can get muted if you have your Line-In un-muted. I also ran into a similar problem thinking that my Vortex 2 wasn't working right with my X2GS wavetable card, and after 40 minutes of frantic troubleshooting and driver re-installs I finally realized that the MPU-401 input was muted in the Windows volume control.