VOGONS

First post, by haker120

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have Super Socket 7 PC that works great as long as after I power it on it'll POST, if not I have to reset it untill it happens. Mobo is DFI K6XV3+/66 with modified BIOS provided to me by @Chkcpu. Is this normal behavior?

Last edited by haker120 on 2022-12-02, 17:26. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 16, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I’d edit these into separate threads

Ss7:

Try removing all cards and trying different ones

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 3 of 16, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

When I have a weird issue like that, I go back to basics.

Single bank of known good ram, also try a different set, known good cpu, try another also, pull all but video card, try another different brand also.

Reset cmos, try a different version,

Try this and that until you have narrowed the problem down. If it all comes back to the mobo, see if anyone else has run into it, maybe order another of the same mobo.

Just gotta do lots of tests. Be careful when plugging stuff in, don’t short anything

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 6 of 16, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

if you have the Jan bios then 570 2+ is supported.

I have a few motherboards that take a while to post. I usually just wait on them. if it eventually posts then no problem.

do you have a post card?

did you find out which part caused it to sometimes hang?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 7 of 16, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

One thing to check is that you haven't got the turbo header rigged so it's default slow until it finds the turbo enabled/disabled option in setup or vice versa. (BIOS deturbos it early, and chugs through rest of POST before it decides to take notice of header/switch setting when it hands to boot device) Be aware that using a POST card will slow boot also, so not something you wanna leave in there. Also some configs are particularly slow at counting RAM so you can turn that off if you want.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 8 of 16, by haker120

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What is POST card? If you mean POST screen yes, it starts from GPU screen next typical Phoenix BIOS screen. And no, even without AGP GPU (switched to PCI) and one RAM stick (fully working, full RAMTest done) same.

I don't even know where is turbo on this mobo if exists. 😉

Reply 9 of 16, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ebay post card.
And order one. They are handy. 😀

Please note that pci is set up for 5v notched slots. Not 3.3v You should take great care to not install these backwards in pci or isa

Attachments

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 10 of 16, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

BTW if you've only ever been exposed to modern machines what it might be doing is normally fast for the era. Not sure where you have your expectations pegged for fastness or slowness.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 11 of 16, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-12-02, 23:00:

BTW if you've only ever been exposed to modern machines what it might be doing is normally fast for the era. Not sure where you have your expectations pegged for fastness or slowness.

I hope it's not any slower than a modern Ryzen boot. I remember it taking over a minute to boot when it was first assembled and had to do RAM configuration.

I thought my keyboard was preventing it from booting at first. The smoke test posted, but I didn't have anything connected. Powered down and back on but RAM config wasn't saved due to not being able to get into the BIOS without input. Maybe reboots later I just let it sit and it finally boot itself into the BIOS.

Reply 12 of 16, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
haker120 wrote on 2022-12-02, 18:41:

I did all the test and one thing changed, now POST happens every time just very slow untill it happens so BIOS? I have unsupported AMD K6 570MHz at 600MHz tho.

when is the slow part? Is it black screen for a while before it starts? record a video clip?

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 14 of 16, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

might be PSU dying. PSU sends power-good signal as soon as it stabilizes its power rails. Old dried caps may make it slow to reach that state, and fail completely with more hardware plugged in.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 15 of 16, by haker120

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I checked different PSU from slot1 PC and this in slot1 PC and on slot1 both PSUs give instant boot to GPU screen and both make SS7 PC to long boot to GPU screen so I guess this PC will behave like this. I guess I have to live with it like that. 😁

Reply 16 of 16, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Might be an issue of the electrolytics in the mainboard´s VRMs. There are often green 1000µF made by "Chsi" and the like that don´t age well.
Delayed start (or no start at all) are typical symptoms.