VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 47180 of 52680, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sold my one only a couple of months ago and regretted it a lot.

Was extremely excited to have an offer of £20 accepted on this one 😀

Attachments

• IMG_0845.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_0845.jpg
    File size
    1014.54 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

My retro pc youtube channel
Twitter

Reply 47181 of 52680, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
LewisRaz wrote on 2022-12-03, 12:37:

Nice find , but man that font really reminds me of that silly you wouldn't steal a car anti piracy commercial 😆

stealcar.PNG
Filename
stealcar.PNG
File size
295.8 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
snippy.PNG
Filename
snippy.PNG
File size
129.26 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

:edit damn that actually looks like an exact match
...or maybe not they look eerily similar though.

Reply 47182 of 52680, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
stef80 wrote on 2022-12-03, 10:04:
pete8475 wrote on 2022-12-03, 05:41:

Today I ordered a Dallas clock chip replacement for use on a socket 7 board I have with a dead rtc battery.

Where did you source it from?

Likely from eBay, which there are sellers that sells "newer" Dallas RTC batteries. These still works on Socket 7 motherboards that uses the RTC chip.

Most would rather get the Glitch Works RTC replacement module instead so they could use a coin battery and making replacement easy in the long term.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 47183 of 52680, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
AppleSauce wrote on 2022-12-03, 14:47:
Nice find , but man that font really reminds me of that silly you wouldn't steal a car anti piracy commercial :laughing: […]
Show full quote

Nice find , but man that font really reminds me of that silly you wouldn't steal a car anti piracy commercial 😆

stealcar.PNG
snippy.PNG

:edit damn that actually looks like an exact match
...or maybe not they look eerily similar though.

I cannot unsee that now 😁

My retro pc youtube channel
Twitter

Reply 47184 of 52680, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow, that is quite a deal!

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 47186 of 52680, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gmlb256 wrote on 2022-12-03, 14:55:

Most would rather get the Glitch Works RTC replacement module instead so they could use a coin battery and making replacement easy in the long term.

Most would rather mod original Dallas chip retaining original motherboard look, as well choosing the most economical and ecological solution. 🤷

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 47187 of 52680, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HanJammer wrote on 2022-12-03, 17:05:
Gmlb256 wrote on 2022-12-03, 14:55:

Most would rather mod original Dallas chip retaining original motherboard look, as well choosing the most economical and ecological solution. 🤷

Well, the mod is quite the same thing for me in terms of functionality. 😜

I also tend to prefer the original look whenever possible as years ago I bought one of these Dallas RTC to replace a STMicroelectronics one that was DS12887-compatible and the RTC was socketed in my case, so I didn't have to worry about soldering.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 47188 of 52680, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I also prefer to mod the original Dallas, but in some instances a low profile replacement is very useful, especially when the motherboard manufacturer puts the RTC in very inconvenient locations where it ends up blocking longer expansion cards.

Reply 47189 of 52680, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheMobRules wrote on 2022-12-03, 18:54:

I also prefer to mod the original Dallas, but in some instances a low profile replacement is very useful, especially when the motherboard manufacturer puts the RTC in very inconvenient locations where it ends up blocking longer expansion cards.

I learnt this the hard way, by having to order and mod a new module.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 47190 of 52680, by mrzmaster

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just bought this neat baby AT system from a local seller with whom I've done business in the past for $50.

Pentium MMX 233MHz
Asus P5A-B
S3 Trio 3D 8MB

I had no real intention of doing an AT based project, however, it could be a fun challenge to restore and upgrade this computer. The first thing I'll have to look at is replacing the old PSU with a modern ATX one (the P5A-B fortunately has an ATX power connector).

Attachments

Reply 47192 of 52680, by libby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Found this ASRock K8Upgrade-VM800 socket 754 board in a PC about to be stripped at the recycler and grabbed it, seemed a pity to let it get shredded.

FjG1lV-WAAIyZVa.jpg
Filename
FjG1lV-WAAIyZVa.jpg
File size
272.77 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 47193 of 52680, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
libby wrote on 2022-12-04, 04:35:

Found this ASRock K8Upgrade-VM800 socket 754 board in a PC about to be stripped at the recycler and grabbed it, seemed a pity to let it get shredded.

FjG1lV-WAAIyZVa.jpg

Wow, I had to look that up to jog my memory, but according to their website that odd backward-AGP slot is for a card that would house a Socket 939 CPU...?

https://www.asrock.com/mb/VIA/K8Upgrade-VM800/index.asp

I remember those boards being a super weird item back in the day. The idea now seems completely absurd. Both of those sockets were SO short-lived... it's hard to imagine the quirks and complications of that setup being at worth it to keep on that particular platform. I mean, both 754 and 939 together were only relevant from late 2003 to mid 2005 (except for the FX60 which was January 2006), with AM2 being a substantial improvement and adding DDR2 support by mid 2006.

Anyway, that's an awesome find. If you ever wanted to confuse a PC enthusiast who wasn't around back in those days, this board would certainly do it.

EDIT: OH! I just realized that they actually made an AM2 card for that slot later on!
https://www.techpowerup.com/9287/asrock-futur … ort-am2-upgrade
So, even though the website simply says "Socket 939", it can be used for other things, including adding DDR2 support. Wow! Probably almost zero chance of ever finding one of those expansion boards sadly.

Very neat find indeed. 😀

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 47194 of 52680, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is also the 939Dual-SATA2 that can use this CPU addon board.
And it also features AGP and PCEe
But there is no "magic" in supporting both sockets, as there are **TONS** of jumper to move in order to support the addon board.
Basically, it disconnects the old CPU and route all the lines to the addon board

Edit : on the k8upgrade, you can see the jumpers just left of the chipset. (black jumpers blocks)

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 47195 of 52680, by vutt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My deep dive to retro digital rabbit hole continues - bought few accessories for my 2000-ish PC setup.
That Topping DAC sports ESS sabre chip. I was positively surprised to see that ESS™ Technologies is still in business and going strong.

Attachments

• spdif_ready.jpg
    Filename
    spdif_ready.jpg
    File size
    268.96 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 47196 of 52680, by mmx_91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mrzmaster wrote on 2022-12-03, 20:43:
Just bought this neat baby AT system from a local seller with whom I've done business in the past for $50. […]
Show full quote

Just bought this neat baby AT system from a local seller with whom I've done business in the past for $50.

Pentium MMX 233MHz
Asus P5A-B
S3 Trio 3D 8MB

I had no real intention of doing an AT based project, however, it could be a fun challenge to restore and upgrade this computer. The first thing I'll have to look at is replacing the old PSU with a modern ATX one (the P5A-B fortunately has an ATX power connector).

Nice find mate, just one silly comment make sure that if you install a modern ATX psu, it will be mounted upside down in these AT cases and the fan will point up to the chassis.

A good solution is to use a psu with the fan in the back (older psu) or mount a SFX psu with an adapter so you can correct its position 😀

Reply 47197 of 52680, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mmx_91 wrote on 2022-12-04, 13:19:
mrzmaster wrote on 2022-12-03, 20:43:
Just bought this neat baby AT system from a local seller with whom I've done business in the past for $50. […]
Show full quote

Pentium MMX 233MHz
Asus P5A-B
S3 Trio 3D 8MB

Nice find mate, just one silly comment make sure that if you install a modern ATX psu, it will be mounted upside down in these AT cases and the fan will point up to the chassis.

A good solution is to use a psu with the fan in the back (older psu) or mount a SFX psu with an adapter so you can correct its position 😀

Most modern ATX PSUs will let you install them upside down, not sure how well the screw holes will line up but you only need two to hold the PSU in place 😉

Reply 47198 of 52680, by Turbo ->

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bought this AGP card cheap from a local seller. I liked the way it looked. When I came home, I tested it and when VGA bios first booted up, it showed that it is a Diamon Viper V770. It seems like a good card.

Attachments

Reply 47199 of 52680, by Jaron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Turbo -> wrote on 2022-12-04, 17:39:

Bought this AGP card cheap from a local seller. I liked the way it looked. When I came home, I tested it and when VGA bios first booted up, it showed that it is a Diamond Viper V770. It seems like a good card.

Same one I have, and likely many other people. Diamond TNT2 cards were quite popular in the day because Diamond often set clocks significantly faster than Nvidia specs. Normal reference Nvidia drivers work just fine for them. Though I've also seen more than a few examples of people needing to use the Diamond specific drivers to get the clocks running where they were supposed to be ( without using other overclock utilities, of course ).