VOGONS

First post, by Phileholic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This thread is in response to this one
Building a WinXP PC

I will build a WinXP PC for video capturing SD analog media like VHS, Laserdisc, etc. So far, these are the specs I'll be using

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7600
Motherboard: ASRock 775i65G R3.0
HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 3.5" 2TB
Graphics Card: ATI All in Wonder 9800 Pro
Sound Card: Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

The only thing left to decide on is the PSU. Since the hardware will require a Molex connector, I'm unsure which one to go with. I'm thinking of either a high-end make/model from the 2000s or a modern low-end one.

Reply 1 of 10, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would just get any modern name brand power supply that has at least some molex connections, or even just get some SATA to Molex adapters if you find a good deal on a power supply that doesn't have enough of them.

I would also compare whatever you find to the PSU Tier list to be sure you're getting something without any serious problems:
https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/

That system isn't going to need a lot of power. I don't like to go by wattage alone, but anything in the 350-500watt range would be plenty for everything you're running. I'm not 100% sure if the 9800 Pro is mostly a 12v card or if it also requires a strong +5v rail, but someone else can probably chime in on that. Either way, I think they only use like 50-70 watts anyway, which is hardly anything these days.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 2 of 10, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are there still new PSUs sold with any molex (or Floppy) connectors?

Anyway, if you need any you can just replace the SATA plugs on any new PSU if you don't mind losing the warranty. You can get molex crimps and reuse the plastic from old PSUs. Any quality PSU modern PSU should work that is at least 300W. The 9800 Pro is something like a 47W card. It's not all that taxing on any modern PSU if that's the only load on the 5W rail. Even the worst 300W PSU from reputable brands can do at least 75W on 5V. But you probably won't get anything below 400W in ATX. Sub-400W is SFX/TFX territory.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 3 of 10, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RandomStranger wrote on 2022-12-17, 09:49:

I've got one 2018 model PSU and two others from around the same time I believe and all three of them still have molex. Two of them also came with a molex -> FDD adapter, no native connector though.

Don't know common they are with brand new ATX 3.0 models but you absolutely can still get new PSU's with molex. And adapters are always available.

Last edited by Sombrero on 2022-12-17, 11:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 10, by Phileholic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2022-12-17, 08:29:

I would also compare whatever you find to the PSU Tier list to be sure you're getting something without any serious problems:
https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/

Based on the link provided, I've narrowed my choices down to these make/models

Cooler Master V550 SFX GOLD
Corsair SF450 Gold
Fractal Design Ion SFX-L 500W Gold
Seasonic SGX-500
Silverstone NJ450-SXL

Reply 5 of 10, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RandomStranger wrote on 2022-12-17, 09:49:

Anyway, if you need any you can just replace the SATA plugs on any new PSU if you don't mind losing the warranty. You can get molex crimps and reuse the plastic from old PSUs. Any quality PSU modern PSU should work that is at least 300W. The 9800 Pro is something like a 47W card. It's not all that taxing on any modern PSU if that's the only load on the 5W rail. Even the worst 300W PSU from reputable brands can do at least 75W on 5V. But you probably won't get anything below 400W in ATX. Sub-400W is SFX/TFX territory.

Surprisingly yes. I just checked a few EVGA and Corsair PSUs and both have molex cables. There are still accessories such as fan controllers or LED hubs that use molex, and IMO I prefer how sturdy molex is compared to a SATA plug in those devices.

I recommend going with a modular PSU, you can skip out on any power cables you don't need which will help with the airflow. And if you don't get enough molex cables, you can normally order additional ones from the manufacturer's site.

Reply 6 of 10, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd avoid Corsair
For about 10 years now I standardised on Corsair modular that way I have plenty of left over molex cables from PSU's for newer builds. likewise I could remove the useless sata/pci-e cables.
It worked well until a few years ago the ATX cable no longer came with the 20 +4 breakaway instead making it one solid 24 connector... despite still advertising it as 20 + 4

Don't know if other manufactures are doing the same? luckily haven't needed another PSU after that last one from Corsair and that one I could swap the ATX cable with a different PC that did need the full 24pin connector.

Reply 7 of 10, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm using a 750W Seasonic Prime Gold modular PSU in my XP machine. It worked fine with my previous E8600 build and similarly with my current i7-3770k build.

I also use a modern modular Seasonic PSU in my Windows 98 machine (Athlon XP 2000+), and it's fine there as well. I specifically use a 1000W PSU in that setup because of the added current available for the 5+V rail.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 8 of 10, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote on 2022-12-17, 15:42:
I'd avoid Corsair For about 10 years now I standardised on Corsair modular that way I have plenty of left over molex cables from […]
Show full quote

I'd avoid Corsair
For about 10 years now I standardised on Corsair modular that way I have plenty of left over molex cables from PSU's for newer builds. likewise I could remove the useless sata/pci-e cables.
It worked well until a few years ago the ATX cable no longer came with the 20 +4 breakaway instead making it one solid 24 connector... despite still advertising it as 20 + 4

Don't know if other manufactures are doing the same? luckily haven't needed another PSU after that last one from Corsair and that one I could swap the ATX cable with a different PC that did need the full 24pin connector.

Heh, I ran into this when I built my P3 system with a Corsair PSU. Had to get a 24 -> 20 pin adapter, there was something on the motherboard blocking the full 24pin connector.

But I wouldn't blacklist them just for that, they still do make some of the best PSU's out there. Well, some of them, they also have their cheaply made crap.

Reply 9 of 10, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My main PC is aXP pasive xeon 771 low power, ssd and pasive ati gpu

I bought a €40 900w psu, change fan from 12 to 5v and enjoy a quiet and nice computer

About molex, I remove some from a old non working psu and remplace two sata with molex, and add one for floppy