VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 120 of 124, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RayeR wrote on 2022-12-19, 15:27:

Also most of modern viruses doesn't work on NT and 9x 😀 (if not intentionally targetted)

Hi there! 🙂 I think it depends..

KernelEx could get them going, if it's installed..

The basic Win32 API, Java, Windows Scripting Host (VBScript, JScript), Shockwave, ActiveX Controls and dotNet Framework are technically all available to Windows 9x.

MSVBVM60, the VB6 runtime, is included from Windows 98 to Windows 11.
VB6 programs run just fine without any user intervention.

It's technically also possible to target Windows 3.1+Win32s.
With Visual C++ 4.0, it works like a charm.

However, most modern compilers/linkers don't include relocation tables anymore,
which are fundamental to the working on Win32s, due to the shared application memory model.
That's why Windows for Workgroups is mostly safe, I think.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 121 of 124, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

KernelEx can be configured as opt-in only for specific programs (this is the way I use it on Win98). Also you need some way how to get the mallware inside computer and execute it. If I don't count a stupidity where user download it and click itself it would need e.g. some buffer overflow exploit of some service. I minimized this by disabling various remote services that listens at opened ports + firewall so I think only opened hole can be in software (like browser, IM..) that has opened port and is allowed. Then probably most virus creators use recent MSVC that compiles incompatible executables by defauls and they are targetting most wide audience - win10 users. Mostly you want to run a botnet or spread ransomware so you need hit most spreaded OS that use many BFUs. I know there maye be some rare cases where e.g. NSA needs to hit a target somewhere in the middle east that runs old WinXP embedded system to destroy it so they make a special virus for it that they surely don't want to spread over the world. So I don't care, running XPs for ~20 years on open network wit public IP and never had infection happened itself without any user action...

Gigabyte GA-P67-DS3-B3, Core i7-2600K @4,5GHz, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, GTX970(GF7900GT), SB Audigy + YMF724F + DreamBlaster combo + LPC2ISA

Reply 122 of 124, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Let me ask the other way round : Why should malware want to especially target modern OSes only?
And if so, where's the proof for that?
Are there any minimum system requirements known?

In case of doubt, I'd be cautious.

Many modern every day software like IrfanView, WinHex, WinImage etc doesn't need anything higher than Windows 98SE/Me/2k/XP.

Why should malware be the exception?
Hackers/coders aren't using large frameworks.
By logic, good malware rather is small, efficient. It mustn't cause any suspicion.

Back in the late 2000s (after Win 9x went EOL), I remember, I saw a Windows 98SE system being infected within a few seconds after the internet connection was established.
Luckily the AntiVirus Guard still had current virus definitions at the time.
The third-party firewall from Kerio was installed, but didn't prevent the attack via the network ports.
Firefox, the latest release available for 9x, was installed.
But the infection began before launching the browser, if memory serves.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 123 of 124, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As time goes on, so will the ignorance to the W10+ exclusive core-path dependencies in "Visual Studio" for "Windows". It's already bit apathetic major open source software years ago (where they can just shrug that and promote linux off it).

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 124 of 124, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Back in 2014 I saw allot of businesses still using WinXP to support Old Printing machines, Print shops, Fax Machines, Supporting Old software.

I liked it myself. Lots of stuff works with WinXP.