AWE64 Legacy

Topic actions

Reply 722 of 779, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ExplodingLemur wrote on 2022-11-03, 05:32:

Is "getting LGR'd" the VOGONS equivalent of "getting Slashdotted?" 😉

haha, probably, I haven't heard the "slashdot effect" in a long time.
by the way good job @hard1k

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 724 of 779, by Ulfenknulfen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
doogie wrote on 2022-11-03, 02:12:

Interestingly I am having similar trouble with the HardMPU functionality on this card to what LGR describes in his video - I am sure I am missing a config step (DIP switch or software). In UART mode there’s lots of “missed” notes or hanging notes and everything sounds wrong. Intelligent mode does not work at all. Have any of you gotten this to work? If so, were there specific steps?

Hi Doggie!

I'm using a Sound Blaster Legacy without any Problems. I've configured the DIP-Switches for
Intelligent Mode on WB Header, disabled DOS MPU emulation (AWE), and it´s working fine
with installed AWE64 value CD-Driver.

best regards
Paddy

🎵 Waveblaster Adaptor for IDE-HDD Swap Frames
🎧 Beepblaster 1.0 Wavetable Module
🎶 Roland MT-32 Buffer overflow Hardware Fix
🕹️🖱️USB HID Devices on PS/2 and Gameport.

Reply 725 of 779, by ExplodingLemur

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When the completed boards and bare PCBs run out, if no other production runs are planned, will the source files (schematics/layouts/gerbers) be released as open source or public domain?

Reply 727 of 779, by jpyerry

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I would also love to purchase a bare PCB, I'm too new to this forum to do PM's though. If the OP could provide with whatever information is needed to purchase (if they are available) I would be appreciative.

Reply 730 of 779, by ExplodingLemur

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I mean, the limiting factor parts here are the ones pulled from old-stock AWE64s. Those can't be substituted. So I'm not sure what you're looking to do here...
As for the rest, all the resistors and inductors can be substituted for anything of the same value, I'm guessing the capacitors can as well as long as they're not in any ESR-sensitive path. Connectors can be substituted. Voltage regulators and all the 7400 series logic are the same across vendors too. Standard opamps can be substituted. specialty opamps and the audio amps might need adjustment of other components in order to work right.

Reply 731 of 779, by doogie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Alright, after some slight frustration I got this card fully working, and wanted to share my method.

Windows is fairly straightforward (I am running Windows 2000 on the K6-III+ machine that the AWE64 Legacy card is in), so the inbox drivers were sufficient.

DOS is a minor challenge with the addition of the HardMPU and proper Yamaha OPL3. We need to move the AWE64 MPU and CQM out of the way.

Leveraging UNISOUND, this is pretty easy.

All DIP switches on the card at defaults. HardMPU is therefore configured for IRQ 2/9, and address 330h.
I have a DreamBlaster X2GS installed on the Wave Blaster header.

In AUTOEXEC.BAT:
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P300 E620 T6 F398
C:\PATH\TO\UNISOUND.COM /VC:80

Adjust the Sound Blaster base address, IRQ, and DMA channels to your liking, of course.
The key is to move the AWE64 MPU-401 out of the way (P300), and the CQM (F398, which is a parameter specific to UNISOUND).
Finally, we unmute and set the CD volume to 80, so that the Wave Blaster header output is audible.

Everything works properly when configured this way.

Reply 732 of 779, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
doogie wrote on 2022-12-20, 18:16:
In AUTOEXEC.BAT: SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P300 E620 T6 F398 C:\PATH\TO\UNISOUND.COM /VC:80 […]
Show full quote

In AUTOEXEC.BAT:
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P300 E620 T6 F398
C:\PATH\TO\UNISOUND.COM /VC:80

Adjust the Sound Blaster base address, IRQ, and DMA channels to your liking, of course.
The key is to move the AWE64 MPU-401 out of the way (P300), and the CQM (F398, which is a parameter specific to UNISOUND).
Finally, we unmute and set the CD volume to 80, so that the Wave Blaster header output is audible.

Everything works properly when configured this way.

Are you using CQM or the AWE64 MPU-401 at all? If not Unisound gives the option of port 0 so P0 F0 which will uninitialize them.

SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P0 E620 T6 F0
C:\PATH\TO\UNISOUND.COM
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 E620 T6 F388

I have an SB16 and YMF719 in the same machine with the SB16 doing PCM audio, and gameport, and the YMF doing Adlib and MPU. My Autoexec does the port settings for one card then calls unisound for it, then different settings for the other card and calls unisound, then finally sets the merged settings so games use what I want.

The nice thing is it's simple to switch to Adlib on the SB16 to get CQM if I want that sound instead.

Reply 733 of 779, by jkammueller

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay so I have two awe64 cards (1 gold and 1 value) in need of repair and was hoping to use their parts in the creation of two awe64 legacy cards. When all the parts come in to make this possible, can someone kindly inform me? these cards look amazing and i'd like to have this done or straight up buy two awe64 legacy cards. thank you

Reply 734 of 779, by Ulfenknulfen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi jkammueller.

A 4520 is absolutely necessary for the legacy. Other cards do not work as part donors.

best regards
Paddy

🎵 Waveblaster Adaptor for IDE-HDD Swap Frames
🎧 Beepblaster 1.0 Wavetable Module
🎶 Roland MT-32 Buffer overflow Hardware Fix
🕹️🖱️USB HID Devices on PS/2 and Gameport.

Reply 735 of 779, by jkammueller

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry I have been busy for a bit here with system builds and what not. I now have a chance to reconnect here. As I mentioned previously, I have two AWE64 cards in need of repair. I also have two fully functioning AWE64 cards as well. two values and two golds. I have one fully working gold and one fully working value as well as one of each in need of repair. I have working SIMMcon revivals with 32mb SIMMs for both of the functioning cards as well. I went and looked at the model of both AWE64 Value cards and they are both the same model number.... The CT4520! So....my question is could the bad value still be recovered into a fully functioning AWE64 Legacy provided the parts are in stock? The reason why I consider it not working properly is because I stored it incorrectly and another card may have shorted something out on the PCB causing the smell of burnt electronics. It still seemed to function, but I forget exactly what was wrong with it. The "bad" AWE64 Gold may just need a recap but it works as well. Please let me know what can be done. Thank you.

Reply 736 of 779, by jkammueller

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone! An update to my situation is as follows: My AWE64 Gold CT4390 is now working. However, there's distortion in the output of all audio coming from the card. I wonder if the cause is dried up capacitors. Does anybody know for sure? If it is the issue, would anybody be willing to install new capacitors? If so, let me know. Thank you. The CT4520 is still waiting for the legacy conversion. Thank you!

Reply 737 of 779, by ExplodingLemur

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Old capacitors could certainly be the cause. I'd be able to do it. Not sure where you are, I'm in the US. I'll send you a DM with my email address.