VOGONS

Reply 600 of 985, by ViTi95

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Uhh interesting, maybe there is a desync issue in 0.9.2. What game are you testing, Doom or Ultimate Doom?

EDIT: Indeed is a bug in the latest release, will fix it and release a bugfix version.

Last edited by ViTi95 on 2022-12-22, 16:20. Edited 1 time in total.

https://www.youtube.com/@viti95

Reply 601 of 985, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ViTi95 wrote on 2022-12-22, 12:43:

Uhh interesting, maybe there is a desync issue in 0.9.2. What game are you testing, Doom or Ultimate Doom?

Hi, i did all test with doom1.9 shareware

but same happen in ultimate doom demo1 for example

Reply 603 of 985, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ViTi95 wrote on 2022-12-22, 16:41:

Found the issue and upload again with the problem fixed. It should play demos fine right now. Thanks again for discovering this.

No, thank you for great work! i confirm demos work fine again

Is amazing how much optimized you make fastdoom!!! please a little more... im very close to sustained 35fps on my PS/1 jajajaja

Reply 604 of 985, by 7F20

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Found the issue and upload again with the problem fixed. It should play demos fine right now. Thanks again for discovering this.

Weirdly, the download didn't work on Chrome. I went to Edge and it downloaded fine, but I got an XML error with Chrome. Didn't happen with the last DL.

Reply 605 of 985, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
7F20 wrote on 2022-12-22, 17:04:

Weirdly, the download didn't work on Chrome. I went to Edge and it downloaded fine, but I got an XML error with Chrome. Didn't happen with the last DL.

Win XP sp3, chrome 86, works fine here downloads

Reply 608 of 985, by digistorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have encountered two bugs with the sound of FastDoom. On my 486 with an AWE64, I only have digital sound the first time. Every launch after that the digital sound doesn't work. I have to run a different game (the original DOOM2.EXE for example) to get digital sound back in FastDoom, but only once. Also, it changes the mixer levels of the Sound Blaster, and leaves them at that on exit. The original DOOM2 does not do that, but changes the music level in another way. Also, the music in AWE32 mode is pretty quiet, which led me to maximise the in-game music level. Then on exit my mixer settings are raised, and that is very annoying when I start another game, because the music is way too loud. I don't know what's going on with Allegro, but I don't like this behavior.
On my Athlon 600 with GUS pnp, I don't get any sound at all, and when I quit FastDoom, it crashes.

Reply 609 of 985, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
digistorm wrote on 2022-12-23, 10:19:

I have encountered two bugs with the sound of FastDoom. On my 486 with an AWE64, I only have digital sound the first time. Every launch after that the digital sound doesn't work. I have to run a different game (the original DOOM2.EXE for example) to get digital sound back in FastDoom, but only once. Also, it changes the mixer levels of the Sound Blaster, and leaves them at that on exit. The original DOOM2 does not do that, but changes the music level in another way. Also, the music in AWE32 mode is pretty quiet, which led me to maximise the in-game music level. Then on exit my mixer settings are raised, and that is very annoying when I start another game, because the music is way too loud. I don't know what's going on with Allegro, but I don't like this behavior.
On my Athlon 600 with GUS pnp, I don't get any sound at all, and when I quit FastDoom, it crashes.

DX4/75 AWE64 here, no problems at all like you said

I dont use any creative software, but UNISOUND to activate awe and mixer

Reply 610 of 985, by ViTi95

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
digistorm wrote on 2022-12-23, 10:19:

Does this happen with earlier releases of FastDoom? I'll take a look and try to recreate those environments, although it will take some time since now I'm moving to another house. Sound code is such a pain, is hard to understand and causes lot's of issues. I know the Apogee Sound System handles the mixer levels on Sound Blaster cards directly, maybe It's a good idea to disable that and handle all volume levels in software (FastDoom doesn't use Allegro library).

Also can you share the hardware configuration you are using on both systems (I mean IRQ, DMA, Blaster variables, etc.)?

https://www.youtube.com/@viti95

Reply 611 of 985, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
theelf wrote on 2022-12-23, 10:26:

I dont use any creative software, but UNISOUND to activate awe and mixer

The Creative software has nothing to do with this. Certain software can mess with the mixer settings and don't bother restoring them after exiting.

ViTi95 wrote on 2022-12-23, 10:39:

I know the Apogee Sound System handles the mixer levels on Sound Blaster cards directly, maybe It's a good idea to disable that and handle all volume levels in software (FastDoom doesn't use Allegro library).

Another idea would be storing the existing mixer values (if present) prior complete initialization of the driver and restore them when done.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 612 of 985, by digistorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does this happen with earlier releases of FastDoom? I'll take a look and try to recreate those environments, although it will take some time since now I'm moving to another house. Sound code is such a pain, is hard to understand and causes lot's of issues. I know the Apogee Sound System handles the mixer levels on Sound Blaster cards directly, maybe It's a good idea to disable that and handle all volume levels in software (FastDoom doesn't use Allegro library).

Also can you share the hardware configuration you are using on both systems (I mean IRQ, DMA, Blaster variables, etc.)?

The 486 config is: Cyrix 486DX/2 66, 32 MB RAM, VLB video card (avance logic), VLB I/O controller, SB AWE64 @ 220, irq 7, dma 1 & 5
The Athlon config is: Athlon 600, 384 MB RAM, Geforce 2MX video card, GUS pnp @ 220, irq 11, dma 7, SB 16 @ 240, irq 5, dma 1 & 6

On my 486 I get the behavior that the second time I launch it, the digital audio is not working anymore. Also, from version 0.9.0 and earlier, if I run the original DOOM2.EXE afterwards, the AWE synth goes into berserk scream mode and I neet to reset it to silence it.
On my 486, if I choose Soundblaster for music instead of Soundblaster AWE 32, then the digital audio works every time, but I have no OPL3 music, just silence.
On my Athlon, all versions back to 0.7 are silent. Version 0.6 and earlier crash as soon as it has to play a digital sound. Some versions, for example 0.8 give this warning on exit:
DOS/32A warning (9003): real mode interrupt vector had been modified: INT 01h
DOS/32A warning (9003): real mode interrupt vector had been modified: INT 02h

I was thinking, and maybe the problem with the GUS is the high IRQ of 11? I didn't try to change it because it's a real pain to reconfigure everything afterwards.

Reply 613 of 985, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gmlb256 wrote on 2022-12-23, 12:58:

The Creative software has nothing to do with this. Certain software can mess with the mixer settings and don't bother restoring them after exiting.

No idea what the problem, but i dont have any problem with awe64+unisound+fastdoom, then at least need to try

Reply 614 of 985, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
digistorm wrote on 2022-12-23, 13:58:
The 486 config is: Cyrix 486DX/2 66, 32 MB RAM, VLB video card (avance logic), VLB I/O controller, SB AWE64 @ 220, irq 7, dma 1 […]
Show full quote

The 486 config is: Cyrix 486DX/2 66, 32 MB RAM, VLB video card (avance logic), VLB I/O controller, SB AWE64 @ 220, irq 7, dma 1 & 5
The Athlon config is: Athlon 600, 384 MB RAM, Geforce 2MX video card, GUS pnp @ 220, irq 11, dma 7, SB 16 @ 240, irq 5, dma 1 & 6

On my 486 I get the behavior that the second time I launch it, the digital audio is not working anymore. Also, from version 0.9.0 and earlier, if I run the original DOOM2.EXE afterwards, the AWE synth goes into berserk scream mode and I neet to reset it to silence it.
On my 486, if I choose Soundblaster for music instead of Soundblaster AWE 32, then the digital audio works every time, but I have no OPL3 music, just silence.
On my Athlon, all versions back to 0.7 are silent. Version 0.6 and earlier crash as soon as it has to play a digital sound. Some versions, for example 0.8 give this warning on exit:
DOS/32A warning (9003): real mode interrupt vector had been modified: INT 01h
DOS/32A warning (9003): real mode interrupt vector had been modified: INT 02h

I was thinking, and maybe the problem with the GUS is the high IRQ of 11? I didn't try to change it because it's a real pain to reconfigure everything afterwards.

I get too much problems with my AWE in IRQ7 i change to 5

About your athlon, i tested fastdoom in a Athlon XP 1400 and no problem, but i dont have a gus and 64mb ram

Reply 615 of 985, by digistorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Interesting that you mentioned the IRQ… I forced my AWE64 temporary to IRQ 5 with UNISOUND (yes I use it too) and the bug doesn't happen with that. I have little knowledge about the Apogee Sound System, but it would be really, really user unfriendly if it only works with IRQ 5. There is very few software out there that only runs on IRQ 5, and most of it is very old. It would at least warrant a mention in the readme.txt. Than I wouldn't have "wasted" my time trying out every single release of FastDoom to find out if it is a regression.

Now I am interested in the GUSpnp case. Yes, FastDoom does run fine on my Athlon on the SB16 (on the "wrong" address of 240), but I am not going to listen to OPL3 music when I also have a GUS sitting there. The IRQ of 11 is pretty standard on a GUS as far as I know, and yes, some software had to be patched to allow IRQs > 7 but all the demo scene stuff runs fine. My Athlon system is also packed with hardware, so there is no other IRQ available to quickly switch and try. Also I would have to reconfigure Windows, and not to mention all the games and demo's on my system. But I am curious if anyone knows if this Apogee Sound System also requires a special IRQ for the GUS to work.

Edit: I was too curious. Tried IRQ 7 temporary with UNISOUND, and it all works. *cough* Really??? That's a shame. I can't run my GUS on IRQ 7 because I also use a ZIP drive on the parallel port that needs IRQ 7.

Reply 616 of 985, by Yoghoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did some new tests with version 0.9.2 and it indeed improves the performance compared with older versions.

Original Doom: 26.13
FastDoom Mode Y: 31.69
FastDoom 13h: 29.02
FastDoom t50: 110.32
FastDoom vbr: 28.88
FastDoom vbd: 31.97

This was all on a 486/66 with a VLB card. Was surprised that vbd was the fastest option (if you don't include the text mode 😉).

Reply 617 of 985, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Yoghoo wrote on 2022-12-24, 22:37:
Did some new tests with version 0.9.2 and it indeed improves the performance compared with older versions. […]
Show full quote

Did some new tests with version 0.9.2 and it indeed improves the performance compared with older versions.

This was all on a 486/66 with a VLB card. Was surprised that vbd was the fastest option (if you don't include the text mode 😉).

Hi, my 486 is similar DX4/75 CL vlb card, how did you test?

sound or w/sound? screen size? what demo?

thanks

Reply 618 of 985, by Yoghoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
theelf wrote on 2022-12-25, 09:50:
Hi, my 486 is similar DX4/75 CL vlb card, how did you test? […]
Show full quote
Did some new tests with version 0.9.2 and it indeed improves the performance compared with older versions. […]
Show full quote

thanks

Just copied the max.cfg file from dosbench and ran it with the same options as in the dosbench batch file (-config max.cfg -timedemo demo3).

Reply 619 of 985, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Yoghoo wrote on 2022-12-25, 09:55:
theelf wrote on 2022-12-25, 09:50:
Hi, my 486 is similar DX4/75 CL vlb card, how did you test? […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

thanks

Just copied the max.cfg file from dosbench and ran it with the same options as in the dosbench batch file (-config max.cfg -timedemo demo3).

Thanks,with max setting my computer

doom shareware 1.9 25.3
fastdoom mode y. 32.14

My DX4 75mhz with 25mhz bus is similar to a DX2 with 33mhz bus