Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 47360 of 52352, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Miphee wrote on 2022-12-23, 16:34:
I'm about to give this hobby up. I specifically told the guy to pack it in a cardboard box and use tons of bubble wrap, ESPECIAL […]
Show full quote

I'm about to give this hobby up.
I specifically told the guy to pack it in a cardboard box and use tons of bubble wrap, ESPECIALLY on the front bezel. I told him I'll pay extra and he told me I'm good.
Well I'm NOT FUCKING GOOD!
I have to lie down and get away from all this for a while. I'm done.

Fuuuuuuuuck that's awful.

Reply 47361 of 52352, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
I'm about to give this hobby up. I specifically told the guy to pack it in a cardboard box and use tons of bubble wrap, ESPECIAL […]
Show full quote

I specifically told the guy to pack it in a cardboard box and use tons of bubble wrap, ESPECIALLY on the front bezel. I told him I'll pay extra and he told me I'm good.

I'm sure the seller feels awful too. I destroyed a rare white TRS80 Model 3 by failing to pack it well enough even though the buyer said the same things that you did. I still feel bad about it.

Reply 47362 of 52352, by underthebridge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
douglar wrote on 2022-12-23, 19:50:
Show full quote

I'm sure the seller feels awful too. I destroyed a rare white TRS80 Model 3 by failing to pack it well enough even though the buyer said the same things that you did. I still feel bad about it.

I mean, I've had rare monitors arrive to me cracked in every which direction because of terrible packing (how do people not get that peanuts aren't a replacement for thick/ protective layer of bubble wrap?). It's always best to pack presuming the shipping company's literally going to play basketball with your box.

Reply 47363 of 52352, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh my... yeah, I know the feeling.

A few years back I had FedEx pack and ship a Sony GDM-FW900 to me and it ended up with a broken bezel because they only used three or four of those expanding foam bags... yes, in a 3d dimensional box with six sides, containing a nearly 100lb monitor. Thankfully it still worked and the screen was intact, but ugh... that involved much fighting with them to get the huge insurance payout for that. Very stressful.

Then, a couple years ago I got a fantastic deal on a Sony CPD- 1302 13" Multisync VGA\EGA monitor from the late '80s... absolutely beautiful little thing, capable of running pretty much any old computer due to the flexible switches and settings on the back. The seller ensured me he knew how to pack and ship a monitor... then proceeded to literally wrap it in a bubble wrap bag and shoved it in a single-walled cardboard box wedged between a few other items I purchased from him. The CRT neck was shattered and the entire metal frame inside the thing was bent. I still have it in storage because it's just such a rare monitor I haven't been able to get myself to junk it.

It is truly baffling just how bad some people's understanding of physics is.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 47364 of 52352, by gmaverick2k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
underthebridge wrote on 2022-12-23, 20:10:
douglar wrote on 2022-12-23, 19:50:
Show full quote

I mean, I've had rare monitors arrive to me cracked in every which direction because of terrible packing (how do people not get that peanuts aren't a replacement for thick/ protective layer of bubble wrap?). It's always best to pack presuming the shipping company's literally going to play basketball with your box.

I've had a nice 15" LG studioworks come in the post with the internal PCB crack due to the strain from shipping. Internal damage is also possible

"What's all this racket going on up here, son? You watchin' yer girl cartoons again?"

Reply 47365 of 52352, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
underthebridge wrote on 2022-12-23, 20:10:

IMHO monitors and computer cases should be at minimum double boxed.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 47366 of 52352, by libby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Threw a $60 offer at this thing and was accepted.

image.png
Filename
image.png
File size
174.89 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
1-1.jpg
Filename
1-1.jpg
File size
109.23 KiB
Views
File license
1.2.jpg
Filename
1.2.jpg
File size
136.34 KiB
Views
File license

This thing seems to be INSANE going by the datasheet. It's a two-drive SCSI to PC card device that supports two PC card drives, each on a separate LUN under one ID. It can support them as fixed disks, removable disks or a DAT drive. It just takes PC cards, so supports CF cards in a PC card adapter. For systems that don't support multiple LUNs, it can apparently combine the drives into one, but I'm not sure how this is done.

image.png
Filename
image.png
File size
306.67 KiB
Views
File license

In theory I should be able to use this device identically to a SCSI2SD, except this device does more and acts like two separate drives in one, so on some systems I could have one drive act as OS and another act like a zip drive containing other software. Then I could just move it between vintage platforms, swapping the CF cards for ones with different filesystems.

Reply 47367 of 52352, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
20221222_201821.jpg
Filename
20221222_201821.jpg
File size
1.35 MiB
Views
File license

Finally got a working amiga monitor , I'm not as big of a fan of the look of the cm8833 mk2 vs the 1081 or the 1084 series ,
but they seem pretty reliable and have functional replacement flybacks in case anything goes wrong.

Reply 47368 of 52352, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
libby wrote on 2022-12-24, 03:14:

Threw a $60 offer at this thing and was accepted.

That looks like a seriously useful hardware
Please make a thread about it after you get the time to set it up and test it.
Do you have some Apple hardware to try it on?

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 47369 of 52352, by kohellus@gmail.com

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got these today. Soundcard and CPU Athlon 64 for my blue retro machine. SB16 came as a surprise buy, dont know what to use it but later 😀

Attachments

Reply 47370 of 52352, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
libby wrote on 2022-12-24, 03:14:

This thing seems to be INSANE going by the datasheet. It's a two-drive SCSI to PC card device that supports two PC card drives, each on a separate LUN under one ID. It can support them as fixed disks, removable disks or a DAT drive. It just takes PC cards, so supports CF cards in a PC card adapter. For systems that don't support multiple LUNs, it can apparently combine the drives into one, but I'm not sure how this is done.

I think it could find a niche use though for a machine that doesn't have any USB 1.1 ports. I suspect that it would also be compatible with an ISA SCSI card.

They use the work "PC Card" exclusively in the advertisement, meaning that it's probably 16-bit (no CardBus). This also means that CompactFlash adapters will be painfully slow.

This would be useful for hot swappable storage for older operating systems without USB support though, such as DOS and Windows 3.1.

It is very interesting. Do you have a use for it in mind?

Reply 47371 of 52352, by nach

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yesterday I got finally a Toshiba Libretto 50M, the one with a touchscreen instead of mouse pointer, with no hdd but i had a couple of spare ones and I’m going to change it to a CF solution soon.

I struggled to have the touchscreen working on windows 98 but finally I got the “driver” and the instructions on how to make it work in a super old japanese “2 chan” thread and after a couple of blue screens it is working perfectly!

I’m very happy because i wanted a proper working one since long time ago and most of them have damaged screens or wirh vinegar syndrome. I paid 20,000 yens, expensive but ok for me.

Would it be worth to upload the driver (not exactly a driver but something called “Toshiba pen services”) to vogons drivers?

Roland MT-32, Roland SCP-55, Roland SC-88, Roland MT-90U, Casio GZ-70SP, Casio GZ-50M, Yamaha MU90B, Yamaha MDP-5, Panasonic CF-VEW212, TDK Digital Music Card 9000, Kawai Gmega

Reply 47372 of 52352, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
nach wrote on 2022-12-24, 14:37:
Yesterday I got finally a Toshiba Libretto 50M, the one with a touchscreen instead of mouse pointer, with no hdd but i had a cou […]
Show full quote

Yesterday I got finally a Toshiba Libretto 50M, the one with a touchscreen instead of mouse pointer, with no hdd but i had a couple of spare ones and I’m going to change it to a CF solution soon.

I struggled to have the touchscreen working on windows 98 but finally I got the “driver” and the instructions on how to make it work in a super old japanese “2 chan” thread and after a couple of blue screens it is working perfectly!

I’m very happy because i wanted a proper working one since long time ago and most of them have damaged screens or wirh vinegar syndrome. I paid 20,000 yens, expensive but ok for me.

Would it be worth to upload the driver (not exactly a driver but something called “Toshiba pen services”) to vogons drivers?

Nice! I have never seen a touch screen on a windows 9x system. I had very little laptop/mobile exposure until well into the 2000s.

I would definitely suggest uploading the software to vogons drivers if it's hard to find otherwise.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 47373 of 52352, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Had to share this in box NEC Multispin 6xi I recently purchased. Been wanting a caddy style optical drive and this is def a stylish one. Not seen in the photo but it has a speed indicator on the display, kinda neat.

Attachments

Reply 47374 of 52352, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Chadti99 wrote on 2022-12-24, 17:38:

Had to share this in box NEC Multispin 6xi I recently purchased. Been wanting a caddy style optical drive and this is def a stylish one. Not seen in the photo but it has a speed indicator on the display, kinda neat.

I can smell that new smell through the screen. Nice!

Reply 47375 of 52352, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got two vintage laptops in the mail yesterday, a Gateway Colorbook and a Bondwell B310. Naturally I can't use either of them because the Gateway uses an unobtainium proprietary supply (basically the same plug as a lot of Dells use, but keyed differently) and the Bondwell needs a 9VDC 1.5A power supply, which I don't have either.

PXL_20221223_225302336.jpg
Filename
PXL_20221223_225302336.jpg
File size
149.06 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
PXL_20221223_225323505.jpg
Filename
PXL_20221223_225323505.jpg
File size
189.21 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
PXL_20221224_204614687.jpg
Filename
PXL_20221224_204614687.jpg
File size
188.5 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
PXL_20221224_204624910.jpg
Filename
PXL_20221224_204624910.jpg
File size
200.18 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
PXL_20221224_204640813.jpg
Filename
PXL_20221224_204640813.jpg
File size
285.48 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 47376 of 52352, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

yeah, I told myself that multiple times already after having stuff arrive broken after specifically sending detailed packing instructions that get disregarded after all even though the sellers seem to reply as if they would be following them...

and yet here I am, still buying stuff... it's a vicious neverending cycle

Reply 47377 of 52352, by libby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-12-24, 13:47:
I think it could find a niche use though for a machine that doesn't have any USB 1.1 ports. I suspect that it would also be comp […]
Show full quote

I think it could find a niche use though for a machine that doesn't have any USB 1.1 ports. I suspect that it would also be compatible with an ISA SCSI card.

They use the work "PC Card" exclusively in the advertisement, meaning that it's probably 16-bit (no CardBus). This also means that CompactFlash adapters will be painfully slow.

This would be useful for hot swappable storage for older operating systems without USB support though, such as DOS and Windows 3.1.

The datasheet indicated Adtron did testing with an IBM MicroDrive and a Toshiba 5GB flash card (highest tech available at the time) and transfer rates were up to 2.5/4.8MB/sec read/write burst doing 1 block transfers on a P200 with adaptec 2940UW.

For the purposes I'd be using this for, I can't forsee myself using CF cards larger than 512MB to 1GB, as the systems this would be used with are all quite old and have SCSI controllers that don't really exceed 5MB/sec sync transfers anyway. Things like an SGI Indy, Mac SE/30, Amiga 2000 etc. I don't require greater than Fast 10 speed. This would become a major toolkit item for me to run diagnostic software on such systems, update firmware etc.

Reply 47378 of 52352, by libby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
libby wrote on 2022-12-24, 23:18:
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-12-24, 13:47:
I think it could find a niche use though for a machine that doesn't have any USB 1.1 ports. I suspect that it would also be comp […]
Show full quote

The datasheet indicated Adtron did testing with an IBM MicroDrive and a Toshiba 5GB flash card (highest tech available at the time) and transfer rates were up to 2.5/4.8MB/sec read/write burst doing 1 block transfers on a P200 with adaptec 2940UW.

For the purposes I'd be using this for, I can't forsee myself using CF cards larger than 512MB to 1GB, as the systems this would be used with are all quite old and have SCSI controllers that don't really exceed 5MB/sec sync transfers anyway. Things like an SGI Indy, Mac SE/30, Amiga 2000 etc. I don't require greater than Fast 10 speed. This would become a major toolkit item for me to run diagnostic software on such systems, update firmware etc. Primary use for me would be for an Atari Falcon 030 I own.

Reply 47379 of 52352, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought a Radeon HD 2900XT for $70.

Not a mind blowing price but these are genuinely rare (didn't sell well, super noncompetitive compared to say, 8800GTX). Took me 2 years to find my 2900GT for $55 so I'm glad to finally have the real deal.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction