VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not sure if this issue has ever been addressed. When I play Heretic II, the non-Training modes crash on loading. There seems to be no way to fix it. I downloaded an Enhancement Pack that was available online but that didn't fix it.

The bypass method I am using to launch is by using the console, but I wish to have the game behave properly. By using the console I am skipping the intro videos.

The other method that's there is by launching the Training mission and launching the main missions from there after pausing, but that takes time...

Is there any solution available?

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 1 of 15, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's a known issue.

To bypass it, enter the tutorial mode and then start the main campaign from there.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 2 of 15, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2022-12-21, 10:56:

It's a known issue.

To bypass it, enter the tutorial mode and then start the main campaign from there.

Yes I have said this in the original post. I am actually looking for a way to bypass this.

Reply 4 of 15, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ZellSF wrote on 2023-01-04, 21:02:

Yes, I managed to find it the last night. The patch works on one of the versions, but 2 of the others I tested crash with it. Maybe that's because of version differences (there was even text difference in them). I noticed the patched exe has NOP in it so DxWnd could find what needs to be done.

Reply 6 of 15, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ZellSF wrote on 2023-01-05, 09:56:

Why would you be using three different versions of the game? Which versions don't work exactly? Why do you want to play them?

I own one, and that only doesn't work. So I searched online what's downloadable and the patch works there...

Reply 8 of 15, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ZellSF wrote on 2023-01-05, 10:48:

OK, some details about the one you own might explain why it doesn't work, which release is it? What version is Heretic II? Does the official 1.06 patch work?

The game works on my Win XP without issues. It is released with 1.0 only. So I install the 1.06 patch and it's the same. The quake2.dll are of different sizes, in the 1.06 patch, working ones have same size while the OWNed one has a larger size. If I recall correctly, the 1.1 patch also had size diff in quake2.dll

Reply 10 of 15, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ZellSF wrote on 2023-01-05, 11:00:

Again, which release do you own?

It doesn't say anything about a release. The one that doesn't work has a Raven Software logo on front on the right corner. The one that did work, their download page has a cover with the ESRB T logo on bottom right. And the Raven logo in on left above Activision logo.

Reply 12 of 15, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Though while it might be interesting to see why it doesn't work on whatever release you do have, does it really matter? Unless there's something significantly different about it, just download a copy that works. I don't really see the problem.

Reply 13 of 15, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ZellSF wrote on 2023-01-05, 11:14:

Though while it might be interesting to see why it doesn't work on whatever release you do have, does it really matter? Unless there's something significantly different about it, just download a copy that works. I don't really see the problem.

That's true but I really wanted to put the CD in use, at least for some days before I save it in storage as antique...

Edit: Just checked both the CDs now together, the Autorun is different as well, one has Heavy Gear II styled, and the other has a 16-bit Autorun. The quake2.dll has a difference of 1 year in file size, and many files such as WinSnd.dll don't exist in the working one.

Reply 14 of 15, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recently acquired a new older version of heretic II myself and I can say there are different versions of the game and I have had issues with various versions interacting differently with patches. I also recently got the game to run almost flawlessly too. I am using nGlide and 1,06 patch.

"Never pay more than 20 dollars for a computer game" - Guybrush Threepwood

Reply 15 of 15, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

However, I forgot to add, so far i cannot load saves I make within a level i can only load autosaves that start an area. I am worried this will be an issue once you start backtracking into areas.

"Never pay more than 20 dollars for a computer game" - Guybrush Threepwood