VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not usually the sort of thing I would post here, but I figured the Sound Blaster is important enough to make it worthwhile.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/entertainment/other … 51d1fac1b20043b

Reply 1 of 14, by Brawndo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just read that myself. Totally worth posting here.

Well he can certainly be proud of his legacy. Easily one of the most successful companies and product lines of the technology era. I've certainly owned my share of Soundblaster products over the years.

God speed Mr. Hoo. Thank you for your most excellent and innovative contributions to the industry.

Reply 2 of 14, by twiz11

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Brawndo wrote on 2023-01-08, 00:30:

I just read that myself. Totally worth posting here.

Well he can certainly be proud of his legacy. Easily one of the most successful companies and product lines of the technology era. I've certainly owned my share of Soundblaster products over the years.

God speed Mr. Hoo. Thank you for your most excellent and innovative contributions to the industry.

rip Mr soundblaster

I am I

Reply 3 of 14, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Brawndo wrote on 2023-01-08, 00:30:

Easily one of the most successful companies and product lines of the technology era.

Creative Labs engaged in some pretty scummy business practices though (e.g. what CL did to both Adlib and Aureal). Creative may have been successful, but it wasn't entirely on the basis of better technology.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 4 of 14, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I liken Creative Labs to the Microsoft of the sound card world. Sim Wong is definitely a devisive figure just like Bill Gates but I guess you can't deny that he left his mark on history for better or for worse.

Reply 5 of 14, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Aww 🙁 thanks for may hours of awesome gaming. RIP

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 6 of 14, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Mister Sim Wong Hoo, helped establish a standard that allowed sound to become a ubiquitous part of PC gaming .
As many others before have said, while Creative (Labs/Tech)'s track record may not be unblemished, they helped usher in a new era and for that they are notable .

I mourn alongside Dr Sbaitso .

Filename
rip.ogg
File size
84.79 KiB
Downloads
52 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 14, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Rest in peace, father of the Sound Blaster.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 10 of 14, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

RIP. Didn't know until today that aside from Creative / SB products, he also formulated a theory of social engineering: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_U-turn_syndrome

Reply 11 of 14, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The success story of Creative is always interesting. During that time, Adlib was the most widely supported sound card, perhaps due to its cheap price. What Creative did was making an Adlib clone plus the ability to play digitized sound, and it became huge success. Sound Blaster can play any games that only support Adlib, albeit without digitized sound, because such games don't have any. But games soon support Sound Blaster, in other words, support digitized sound --something that Adlib doesn't have. Thus, games that support Adlib automatically support Sound Blaster, but not the other way around. Soon, Sound Blaster toppled Adlib's position as the most popular sound card.

Back then, I wondered what could topple Sound Blaster's position. I remember about a Sound Blaster clone named Sound Commander, which is basically an SB Pro clone, but that's all about it. On the other hand, Sound Blaster is an Adlib clone that can do a quite important thing Adlib can't.

I often wondered: if Roland ever made a Sound Blaster clone (digitized sound-wise) but with LAPC or GS MIDI sound, would it topple Sound Blaster? Or how about Yamaha doing the same thing, with fully SB-compatible digitized sound, but with XG MIDI sound?

How about Covox? Never had one, but IIRC it can play anything from PC speaker (for example, digitized sound effects in SSI Gold Box games come from PC speaker), making it the most compatible sound card as long as digitized sound is concerned. What if Covox also slap an OPL 3 on their sound card, making it an Adlib clone with additional ability to play digitized sound? Would it be more popular than Sound Blaster?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 12 of 14, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote on 2023-01-08, 12:31:

I often wondered: if Roland ever made a Sound Blaster clone (digitized sound-wise) but with LAPC or GS MIDI sound, would it topple Sound Blaster?

Well, there was the Roland RAP-10, but I think it only had General MIDI (no GS). IIRC, it wasn't Sound Blaster compatible, but it did have its own digital audio, which worked nicely in supported games.

Or how about Yamaha doing the same thing, with fully SB-compatible digitized sound, but with XG MIDI sound?

This did exist. The ISA-based Yamaha YMF 71x cards were SBPro compatible and had an XG Lite software wavetable in Win9x. The later PCI-based YMF 7x4 cards had SBPro compatibility and the higher quality DS-XG software wavetable under Win9x.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 13 of 14, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2023-01-08, 13:12:

I often wondered: if Roland ever made a Sound Blaster clone (digitized sound-wise) but with LAPC or GS MIDI sound, would it topple Sound Blaster?

Well, there was the Roland RAP-10, but I think it only had General MIDI (no GS). IIRC, it wasn't Sound Blaster compatible, but it did have its own digital audio, which worked nicely in supported games.

Indeed, and I guess that's the problem. I wonder what would happen if RAP-10 digitized audio is fully SB compatible, instead of requiring specific support.

Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2023-01-08, 13:12:

Or how about Yamaha doing the same thing, with fully SB-compatible digitized sound, but with XG MIDI sound?

This did exist. The ISA-based Yamaha YMF 71x cards were SBPro compatible and had an XG Lite software wavetable in Win9x. The later PCI-based YMF 7x4 cards had SBPro compatibility and the higher quality DS-XG software wavetable under Win9x.

Ah, you remind me. Of course, the Audician. They came too late to dethrone Sound Blaster though.

What made Sound Blaster less relevant, I believe, is Windows 95. As long as the game is compatible with Windows 95 sound, then it doesn't matter what sound card are you using.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 14 of 14, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shponglefan wrote on 2023-01-08, 00:50:

Creative Labs engaged in some pretty scummy business practices though (e.g. what CL did to both Adlib and Aureal).

While Creative wasn't saint, AdLib for some reason didn't make a proper intermediate card prior the original Sound Blaster card when they had the chance. In the case of Aureal, they won a lawsuit against Creative regarding patents but it was a pyrrhic victory that led them into bankruptcy.

The success story of Creative is always interesting. During that time, Adlib was the most widely supported sound card, perhaps due to its cheap price. What Creative did was making an Adlib clone plus the ability to play digitized sound, and it became huge success. Sound Blaster can play any games that only support Adlib, albeit without digitized sound, because such games don't have any. But games soon support Sound Blaster, in other words, support digitized sound --something that Adlib doesn't have. Thus, games that support Adlib automatically support Sound Blaster, but not the other way around. Soon, Sound Blaster toppled Adlib's position as the most popular sound card.

The real reason why Sound Blaster toppled the AdLib and others failed was the addition of the gameport, eliminating the need of using a separate ISA card for that.

I often wondered: if Roland ever made a Sound Blaster clone (digitized sound-wise) but with LAPC or GS MIDI sound, would it topple Sound Blaster? Or how about Yamaha doing the same thing, with fully SB-compatible digitized sound, but with XG MIDI sound?

Would have been a very expensive high-end product at the time.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS