VOGONS

First post, by yevrowl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Rock-Paper-Scissors is a hand game originating in China, usually played between two or three people, in which each player simultaneously forms one of three shapes with an outstretched hand. These shapes are «rock» (a closed fist), «paper» (a flat hand), and «scissors» (a fist with the index finger and middle finger extended, forming a V). A simultaneous, zero-sum game, it has three possible outcomes: a draw, a loss, or a win.

7a2a8f3554c0564c871289fec3600d7c.jpeg 68be4494024f90968a1a76762c131d20.jpeg 2641e888f0b4236aa194bdce5fc616b9.jpeg ff8507efeae31040dd053ebffe704350.jpeg d934c32a16c5c0a2fcb811c888d08231.jpeg

Did it last week, on GW-Basic, it works from DOS 2.0, 128 Kb memory, CGA (third palette).

Attachments

• Filename
    rps.7z
    File size
    28.5 KiB
    Downloads
    57 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

÷)

Reply 3 of 18, by yevrowl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dr_st wrote on 2023-01-10, 10:21:

Nice!

Want to extend it to Rock-Paper-Scissors-Lizard-Spock? 😁

Thanks!

Will try, but do not promise a quick result ... because of the rolling power outages, it is not always possible to program.

zyzzle wrote on 2023-01-10, 12:12:

Very neat... Thanks for keeping it Retro. GW-BASIC in 2023!

Thanks!

BASIC studied back in the Soviet circles of computer science, then at the Kiev Polytechnic Institute, and still remember. ÷)

÷)

Reply 4 of 18, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The games looks pretty, I really like your design/layout, too! Kudos to you! 😎

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 18, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,
I'm not a GWBASIC expert, so can you tell me how you compiled a COM file with your GWBASIC (I could not find such an option in my GWBASIC 3.20) and how you saved your .BAS file to be a readable source/text file (my saved BAS files are always token compressed binary files)?
Thanks in advance.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 6 of 18, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, I'm not the author, but saving to plain ASCII in BASIC is simple: SAVE "Program.bas", A

Compiling can theoreticaly be done with compilers lile MBASIC, BASCOM or Quick Basic..
Depends on how GW-BASIC/BASICA specific the program is.
But again, I'm not the author. 😅

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 7 of 18, by yevrowl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Falcosoft wrote on 2023-01-10, 12:57:

Hi,
I'm not a GWBASIC expert, so can you tell me how you compiled a COM file with your GWBASIC (I could not find such an option in my GWBASIC 3.20) and how you saved your .BAS file to be a readable source/text file (my saved BAS files are always token compressed binary files)?
Thanks in advance.

Greetings!
Can be converted using exe2com (or bin2com) utility. The difference between exe and com is the 256-byte header.
Jo22 answered the second question.

Jo22 wrote on 2023-01-10, 13:06:

Compiling can theoreticaly be done with compilers lile MBASIC, BASCOM or Quick Basic..
Depends on how GW-BASIC/BASICA specific the program is.

Thanks! There is also a Turbo Basic. =)

÷)

Reply 8 of 18, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks to both of you for your answers!

Can be converted using exe2com (or bin2com) utility. The difference between exe and com is the 256-byte header.

OK, I have not made my question clear enough. My problem is not the COM format output per se, I cannot compile even EXE files from my GWBASIC 3.20.
So my more explicit question is: Do you use GWBASIC itself to compile EXE/COM files or have you used another Basic compiler (that is source code compatible with GWBASIC) to compile rps.com (rps.exe)?

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 9 of 18, by yevrowl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Falcosoft wrote on 2023-01-10, 15:26:

OK, I have not made my question clear enough. My problem is not the COM format output per se, I cannot compile even EXE files from my GWBASIC 3.20.
So my more explicit question is: Do you use GWBASIC itself to compile EXE/COM files or have you used another Basic compiler (that is source code compatible with GWBASIC) to compile rps.com (rps.exe)?

Use BASCOM as a compiler, this is IBM Basic Compiler. The /o option is used to create a standalone executable (object) file. Then use the linker (link.exe) on rps.obj to create rps.exe.

÷)

Reply 10 of 18, by yevrowl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dr_st wrote on 2023-01-10, 10:21:

Want to extend it to Rock-Paper-Scissors-Lizard-Spock? 😁

6e5a379b40fa9717481f00c549c97953.jpeg ad9a3b1c6dfdf18f7494e7300be6a40f.jpeg 1d1e04d931cf4235a5d0866c8d7cf57b.jpeg 69d154b6eb8252a56a47f049a7d253ce.jpeg c2fdb5930d0e1654e2b12f1ca332ad78.jpeg

Also included are 3250 variants and samples of 1-bit graphics.

Attachments

• spock.png
    Filename
    spock.png
    File size
    245 Bytes
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • lizard.png
    Filename
    lizard.png
    File size
    217 Bytes
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • Filename
    variants.7z
    File size
    6.42 KiB
    Downloads
    47 downloads
    File license
    Public domain
  • Filename
    rpsls.7z
    File size
    29.41 KiB
    Downloads
    47 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

÷)

Reply 12 of 18, by yevrowl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It turns out that there are options for 15 and 25 hand combinations.

Attachments

÷)

Reply 13 of 18, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice to see the traditional rock-paper-scissors game made for older IBM compatible PCs. 👍

I think that consolidating the options for the hand combinations into one executable would be more convenient if possible.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 14 of 18, by yevrowl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gmlb256 wrote on 2023-01-17, 14:20:

Nice to see the traditional rock-paper-scissors game made for older IBM compatible PCs. 👍

Glad to read.

Gmlb256 wrote on 2023-01-17, 14:20:

I think that consolidating the options for the hand combinations into one executable would be more convenient if possible.

The source code and the executable file for DOS are attached.

Attachments

• Filename
    rpslsall.7z
    File size
    34.67 KiB
    Downloads
    46 downloads
    File license
    Public domain
  • rpslsall.png
    Filename
    rpslsall.png
    File size
    2.15 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

÷)

Reply 15 of 18, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi again. 😀 I've tinkered a bit with the CGA registers, now it's also in composite mode, sorta.
Additional NTSC artifact patterns would still be needed to make it look awesome, though. 🙁
Anyway, I don't mean to steal the show. I can PM you the file, if you're curious 'how I messed things up', hi. 😅
Edit: Tried out some patterns.. The original 4 colour CGA is still intact.

Attachments

• rpsls_a.png
    Filename
    rpsls_a.png
    File size
    907 Bytes
    Views
    File comment
    Doubled in x, y
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • rpsls_b.png
    Filename
    rpsls_b.png
    File size
    3.51 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Composite CGA (DOSBox)
    File license
  • rpsls_c.png
    Filename
    rpsls_c.png
    File size
    4.38 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Composite CGA (DOSBox)
    File license
  • rpsls_d.png
    Filename
    rpsls_d.png
    File size
    5.29 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Composite CGA (DOSBox)
    File license

//My video channel//

Reply 16 of 18, by yevrowl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2023-02-02, 09:25:

I've tinkered a bit with the CGA registers, now it's also in composite mode, sorta.
I can PM you the file, if you're curious 'how I messed things up', hi. 😅

Thank you, interesting, please post here, for everyone.

÷)

Reply 17 of 18, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
yevrowl wrote on 2023-02-02, 20:30:
Jo22 wrote on 2023-02-02, 09:25:

I've tinkered a bit with the CGA registers, now it's also in composite mode, sorta.
I can PM you the file, if you're curious 'how I messed things up', hi. 😅

Thank you, interesting, please post here, for everyone.

No no, I must thank you. 😅 You did a very good job at writing the game. 😄 👍
And I didn't meant to mess that up. That's why I haven't attached anything without your okay so far, also.
My, err, 'contribution' in the attachment is a bit quick&dirty. Needs cleanup.. I'm still looking for a red pattern, also.
I've taken some code snippets from my older programming experiments from the past years.
On the bright side, the few additions are easy to spot and can be removed easily anytime.
A few IF.. THENs, essentially and some commands placed in same line by using colons..

Colours. I tried out different patterns and kept those which I hoped didn't mess so much with the graphics.
Luckily, light green worked for the lizard, white for paper and blue for spock (the top of his science uniform was blue in TOS).
I hope that's okay for now. Composite should be seen more like an easter egg/gimmick, maybe. It's more like a sub mode, anyway.
Hopefully, everything works on real hardware, too. A nice red like in the other video modes would be neat, I think. 😀

Attachments

• Filename
    rpsls_composite_v1.zip
    File size
    40.02 KiB
    Downloads
    46 downloads
    File license

//My video channel//