VOGONS

First post, by ChrisK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

shortly I had made a post about a switching regulator module I once made for my PCI Riva TNT card to replace the very hot linear one.
You can find it here:
Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today
Main intention was to reduce the cards temperature due to heating by the regulator and with that the total power consumption of the system.
I have written down some before and after numbers somewhere but don't have them at hand now. IIRC power consumption dropped about 2 or 3 Watts with this mod.

As some people declared interest in this topic I digged out the design files for that little PCB holding a switching regulator module made by Murata.
As I didn't know the correct current draw of the card this module was my best bet in terms of power output (up to 6 Amps compared to the 7 Amps from the old linear regulator, datasheet values) and availability. As far as I can see it should still be available at e.g. Digikey or Mouser (global electronics shortages taken aside).

The module was made to fit exactly my own VGA card but should be usable on other cards using a linear regulator with the same pinout, too.
You can find the files appended to this post. Feel free to use at will.
(I'm sorry I can't make any modifications if someone would like to request that, on the one hand out of time shortage and on the other hand because I would have to set up a design system again adding more time necessary.)
The PCB was made with KiCAD, so should be pretty straight forward, and I hope everything necessary is included.

If you like it leave a little "Thanks" 😀
I'm curious about the discussion and new ideas that may follow here 😉

P.S. (1): It is still a good idea to use a fan on the (most) passively cooled graphics chip(s) since only the heat by the regulator itself is reduced.
P.S. (2): I may have one or two bare PCBs left over if there's someone nearby who can do the solderjob on his own. I could do the soldering, too, but would need the regulator module organized because it's a bit difficult for me to order stuff atm.

Attachments

• Filename
    OKL-T6-W5_20201113.zip
    File size
    2.17 MiB
    Downloads
    45 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 4, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Awesome! Thank you ChrisK!

The soldering skill level seems slightly higher than what I'd normally do because of the SMD stuff, but maybe we can adapt this to some other components, using your idea as a base?

Either way, this is a great idea to increase the longevity of these cards. They may survive for decades with the stock regulator, but a lot of them tend to start turning brown after a lot of years of use due to heat. This will prevent that. 😀

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 2 of 4, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Very nice job. That looks amazing! 😀

I added your project to the vrm projects thread. 😀

Re: vrm module project thread roundup, share ideas, make new designs

Last edited by Sphere478 on 2023-01-14, 23:11. Edited 1 time in total.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 3 of 4, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have an aversion against switching components, mildly said.
I rather prefer calm, less efficient linear components.

Congratulations for your success, though. 🙂👍

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 4, by ChrisK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2023-01-14, 21:20:

Very nice job. That looks amazing! 😀

I added your project to the vrm projects thread. 😀

Re: vrm module project thread roundup, share ideas, make new designs

Didn't know there was one. Thanks! 😁

Jo22 wrote on 2023-01-14, 22:15:

I have an aversion against switching components, mildly said.
I rather prefer calm, less efficient linear components.

Congratulations for your success, though. 🙂👍

I don't like modifying old hardware and making it non-original in general.
But that one sucked. It got extremely hot and beeing a THT part that was "pressed" against the PCB with a (at the point I bought the card missing) screw wasn't the perfect solution.
The thermal paste between the heatsink and the PCB began to spread as soon as it got on temperature. Wasn't nice at all.
There are better solutions, e.g. choosing a SMT LDO just like Diamond did on their V550 PCI:
https://www.vgamuseum.info/index.php/componen … nvidia-riva-tnt
So, my solution may be reasonable for THT LDOs only.

Thanks for the like 😀