VOGONS

First post, by CoolDoomer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I saw that it was possible to make windows 98 use 4k in vmware. But I am limited to 1440p resolution. Doesn anybody have 4k function and tell me how did you manage to enable it. Thanks. 😀
https://old.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comment … s_4k_4096x2160/

Reply 1 of 4, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From that reddit:

"[–]Hurricane_32i7-8750H | GTX 1050Ti | 16 GB RAM 2 points 6 years ago*
It does by installing VmWare Tools on the guest (you can see it running in the bottom right of the taskbar). It allows you to do things like, resizing the VM window changes the guest resolution to match it, and clipboards will work between the guest and host"

Reply 3 of 4, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
elszgensa wrote on 2023-01-13, 21:51:

With today's screens we're getting close to running into an interesting problem with minimized windows without even trying...

I remember this. I liked the Windows 3.1 method more.
It allowed applications to run as icons on desktop when minimized.
I remember playing some Tetris game that way. Or watching that Elvis Detector. ^^

Ah, the good old days. Without Windows 95 and the taskbar. ^^

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 4, by javispedro1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can trivially do 4K Windows 9x (and more) under VirtualBox with the open driver @ https://www.os2museum.com/wp/windows-9x-video-minidriver-hd/
Just edit the .inf file before installation to add the resolutions you'd like, as the author recommends on the blog post.
Or after installation change HKR\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\Display\0000\MODES\ to add whichever resolutions you'd like.

As per what the author says, I can see that 5,120×3,840 is the max resolution that will be shown in the control panel applet. I'm assuming you could still go larger if you just set it via API calls.
Happy to see that VBMOUSE works with it too.

Obligatory useless "5K+" screenshot attached.

Attachments