VOGONS

First post, by BawlsTowers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to find a sound card that is compatible with Audigy 1 or Audigy 2 front panel for EAX support for Windows XP. Audigy 1 & 2 fits my build visually. Beige or silver or white. What I have found:
X-FI cards with EMU20k1 are compatible with Audigy 2 front panels and have support for EAX 1-4 while Fatal1ty pro / champion including support for EAX 5
Live! cards which are EMU10K1 including hardware support for EAX 1.0 & 2.0 are compatible with Audigy 1 front panels.

Thus I am thinking about getting something from the Live! series, SBLive 5.1 or X-FI titanium cards that should be compatible with Audigy 1/2 front panel while staying away from XtremeAudio cards because of the lack of EMU20k1. I am leaning more towards X-Fi cards because of the games that I have in mind are from the early 00s. XX - around '06. May need EAX 1+2 with 3, and 4. Does this sound right? Any recommendations for these cards or the front panel? Thank you!

Still Can't Crysis ~ WinXP Core 2 Duo e8600 + NH-D15 /w NM-i3 kit ~ Titan X 368.81 SLI... ~ Audigy 2 SB0250 + Hub ~ nForce 680i SLI ~ 2021 RMx 1000 ~ DDR2 4GB ~ 480 SSD ¬
Sleeper Dell Dimensions 4100 & V400 Fedora build ¬

Reply 1 of 3, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You are mostly correct

Audigy 1 and earlier all use the same "aud_ext" front panel connector therefore the panels are all interchangeable. This is also the most common era of beige/white panel.

Audigy 2 and later use the "ad_ext" connector, panals are interchangeable but as far as I'm aware only the original Audigy 2 had a panel available in white (and hard to find) , after this it was always black.

The Audigy 2 Platinum came with an external bay that's silver so may match your build. You need the matching sound card as it uses a non standard cable (you can see the connector next to the fire-wire port here
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/creative … abs-audigy-2-zs

I'd think if keeping with the white requirement your best setup would be a Audigy 1 which will give you upto EAX 3 support with one of the original front panels.
This may be enough as not many games supported EAX 4 or 5
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/List_of_ … ith_EAX_support

This post goes into much more detail and includes the differences between the LiveDrive generations
Different versions of Live Drive?

Reply 2 of 3, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm pretty sure all X-FI cards (the ones based on an EMU20K1 or derivative, not the "Extreme audio" variety ) have EAX 5.0 support . This includes the base launch model SB0460 .

EDIT: Careful with Dell and other OEM variant of the SB0460 as they have home some gimping/limitations that may require third party driver packs or an EEPROM reflash to bypass. These OEM cards have a serial number starting with something other tgan SB0460, AFAICR.

Reply 3 of 3, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^ True, also "Game Mode" (a quirk from proper X-Fi sound cards) must be set for EAX 5.0 support. The other operating modes will just limit it to EAX 3.0.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS