VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by FireLion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

So I want to install some old Windows games onto my Windows 10 64-bit Laptop, and I want to know if it will work on Windows 10 without the game affecting my Laptop. The reason I would like to know is that I installed V8 Supercars 3 CD onto my Laptop, and had to get it wiped since the games files that came with it can basically crash any Windows 10 and Windows 11 PC/Laptop, so I have now gotten a habit of making sure the games I install don't affect my Computer. I will list the games down below that I would like to knwo if they would work on Windows 10.

- USNF 97 (1996)
- JANE'S COMBAT SIMULATIONS: F/A-18 SIMULATOR (2000)
- F-22 LIGHTNING III (1999)
- JANE'S COMBAT SIMULATIONS: USAF (1999)
- JETFIGHTER: FULL BURN (1998)

I would just like to know if these games work. Thank you to whoever replies, it's greatly appreciated

Reply 3 of 15, by FireLion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote on 2023-01-17, 19:34:
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2023-01-17, 14:28:

I tested USNF 97, USAF and FA18 and they run in Win10

USAF can't work on Win10 due to disc checks.

What does disc checks do, can it affect Win10, and does that mean I can’t install it

Reply 4 of 15, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am aware, but the community already made a patch. The user didn't announce any refrainment from using a third party patch.

A brief description is on PCGW: https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Jane%27s_US … al_improvements

FireLion wrote on 2023-01-17, 22:32:

What does disc checks do, can it affect Win10, and does that mean I can’t install it

Prevents piracy. It can affect Win10, since it doesn't support every "disc check methods". In that case you'll need no-CD patches aka cracks. Whether you can install or not depends on a lot of factors. But there is always a way to get it installed, sometimes by copying the files (if they are uncompressed data), some will install when the installer is set to a "correct compatibility mode", and also by using a virtual machine.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 5 of 15, by FireLion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2023-01-18, 06:37:
I am aware, but the community already made a patch. The user didn't announce any refrainment from using a third party patch. […]
Show full quote

I am aware, but the community already made a patch. The user didn't announce any refrainment from using a third party patch.

A brief description is on PCGW: https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Jane%27s_US … al_improvements

Prevents piracy. It can affect Win10, since it doesn't support every "disc check methods". In that case you'll need no-CD patches aka cracks. Whether you can install or not depends on a lot of factors. But there is always a way to get it installed, sometimes by copying the files (if they are uncompressed data), some will install when the installer is set to a "correct compatibility mode", and also by using a virtual machine.

So in this case, say I just installed the game bare, didn't touch it and left it. How would the events unfold if I Shut Down or Restarted my Laptop? From a past experience, as I stated before, I had the proper CD of V8 Supercars 3, and when I installed it and it said reboot PC, I did that, and when it restarted, it went straight into Recovery Mode, and for the life of God, I could not get out of it, so I ended up wiping it and reinstalling Windows 10 off a CD given from my local Computer Repair Shop, so now I have to boot up my laptop with the CD inserted into my external disc drive, which I am happy to keep doing.

Reply 6 of 15, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I can't remember if safedisc infects your system when you install the game or rin the executable. If you don't install the game and don't run the executable but simply copy over the game files and crack the game then you should be good.

There is also the option of updateing the copy protection drivers assuming they are compatible with whichever OS but those are highly vulnerable and rarely updated.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2023-01-18, 17:36. Edited 1 time in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 15, by willow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
FireLion wrote on 2023-01-18, 07:57:
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2023-01-18, 06:37:
I am aware, but the community already made a patch. The user didn't announce any refrainment from using a third party patch. […]
Show full quote

So in this case, say I just installed the game bare, didn't touch it and left it. How would the events unfold if I Shut Down or Restarted my Laptop? From a past experience, as I stated before, I had the proper CD of V8 Supercars 3, and when I installed it and it said reboot PC, I did that, and when it restarted, it went straight into Recovery Mode, and for the life of God, I could not get out of it, so I ended up wiping it and reinstalling Windows 10 off a CD given from my local Computer Repair Shop, so now I have to boot up my laptop with the CD inserted into my external disc drive, which I am happy to keep doing.

With starforce it's possible but not with safedisc.

Reply 8 of 15, by feda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

W10 simply blocks those old copy protections. Never heard of them messing up W10 so badly that you have to wipe and reinstall. OP must have gotten confused or broke something else in the process of trying to install the game.
Anyway, I believe F22 Lightning 3 will work, as do most Novalogic Windows games. Some need dgvoodoo.

Reply 9 of 15, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well you install Windows on a hard drive, why do you have to keep inserting the CD to run it?

About the games, I am not sure of what copy protection the game uses, the only modern problematic copy protection I can think of is StarForce with it's old drivers.

Maybe your drive decided to give up (is the drive ok) by chance when you were installing the game? Or some windows update did it?

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 10 of 15, by feda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2023-01-19, 14:12:

Well you install Windows on a hard drive, why do you have to keep inserting the CD to run it?

About the games, I am not sure of what copy protection the game uses, the only modern problematic copy protection I can think of is StarForce with it's old drivers.

Maybe your drive decided to give up (is the drive ok) by chance when you were installing the game? Or some windows update did it?

V8 Supercars 3 , better known as TOCA Race Driver 3, uses Starforce on Windows according to the pcgamingwiki. Though I don't understand how it could've destroyed OP's system since those protections straight up don't work in 10/11. I've installed such games, and apart from the exe not running and needing a crack, nothing happens.

Reply 11 of 15, by willow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
feda wrote on 2023-01-19, 13:16:

W10 simply blocks those old copy protections. Never heard of them messing up W10 so badly that you have to wipe and reinstall. OP must have gotten confused or broke something else in the process of trying to install the game.
Anyway, I believe F22 Lightning 3 will work, as do most Novalogic Windows games. Some need dgvoodoo.

If you install starforce driver (you can with some games like flatout2), the driver block the start of windows 10 when you restart the os. I have tried it with flatout 2.

Reply 12 of 15, by feda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
willow wrote on 2023-01-19, 16:30:

If you install starforce driver (you can with some games like flatout2), the driver block the start of windows 10 when you restart the os. I have tried it with flatout 2.

Really, and then what? It made you reinstall Windows?

Reply 13 of 15, by FireLion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feda wrote on 2023-01-19, 18:26:
willow wrote on 2023-01-19, 16:30:

Really, and then what? It made you reinstall Windows?

Kind of, when I restarted my computer, it went straight into recovery mode and there absolutely no way I could get out of it, I really couldn’t. I then later found out that V8 Supercars 3 has a certain app, which is Starforce, which can do something to your Windows 10 PC, and I didn’t know that when I installed the game until my Laptop was completely wiped and I had to reinstall Windows 10. Starforce can ruin Windows 10 and Windows 11 PC/Computers

Reply 14 of 15, by eddman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For Starforce games, I suppose one workaround would be to install the game, not restart, remove Starforce with their official utility, and then use a crack.

You can check here for Starforce games: http://redump.org/discs/quicksearch/starforce … protection/only

Not all releases are listed though. For example, V8 Supercars 3 isn't listed yet, but TOCA Race Driver 3 is.

feda wrote on 2023-01-19, 14:41:

V8 Supercars 3 , better known as TOCA Race Driver 3, uses Starforce on Windows according to the pcgamingwiki. Though I don't understand how it could've destroyed OP's system since those protections straight up don't work in 10/11. I've installed such games, and apart from the exe not running and needing a crack, nothing happens.

IINM only Safedisc is blocked in Windows 10/11.