VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've been watching the different Microsoft Plus! videos on the MichaelMJD youtube channel then we had a the recent question here about changing the background and it made me wonder how many people bother with Plus these days or use anything but the default theme?

For myself, I was always interested in Plus! but really it got less and less relevant.
I did and still use Plus! 95. Back in the day for Drivespace 3 and theme support. These days it's just for GUI enhancements and nostalgia for the splash screen.
I tired Plus! 98 back when it was my currant OS but it didn't really offer anything useful so didn't last long and don't think I ever even installed XP's as the additions didn't interest me.

As for Themes I had the GDI Command and Conquer theme that came with the C&C for windows for a while, but really I always preferred the simple default theme.
Windows XP I'd always switch to Windows Classic so it looked like Windows 2000. It was only when I stopped using it daily did I keep the Bliss theme, I guess to emulate the majority of XP PC's I'd used over the years.
Mostly I find the icons, sounds and cursors annoying.

Reply 1 of 23, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Back in the day, I really liked the Dangerous Creatures theme (the one with the mountain lion). I have it installed on my current Win95 retro rig as well, but without the sounds.

Anyway, Microsoft Plus! was certainly one of the highlights back when I first moved away from DOS 6.22/Win 3.11. For kid me, Windows 95 felt so much more alive than the plain old DOS prompt. The hi-color themes in particular were fairly impressive for the time.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 2 of 23, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not me. Eye candy like that is fine for when you hang around in an environment all day (i.e. the daily driver), but since my retro machines only get fired up with a specific purpose in mind - mostly gaming, most likely in fullscreen - I'm unlikely to see it so can't be bothered.

Reply 3 of 23, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I installed 95 Plus! (and continue to do so) for mostly the desktop icon color icon upgrade from 256. I also like the Microsoft Pinball game (which was available out of the box with Windows NT 4.0 only at the time.) The themes were gimmicky, and I puttered around with them for only a short while. I still use the Mystery/Haunted House screensaver, though.

Actually, I still install the Tomb Raider theme from time-to-time, but just for the screensaver mostly, as well.

But some of the best screensavers we’re the 3rd-party 3D aquariums. I had forgotten about those until just now.

Reply 4 of 23, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Backgrounds, screensavers and games like the space cadet pinball are very familiar and part of the nostlagia, so plus! gets installed.
But yeah I don't like my cursor being shaped like submarine or a tiger roaring every time I click on something so these parts stay unused.

Last edited by konc on 2023-01-20, 12:35. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 23, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use some of the wallpapers and screen savers, notably the 'Inside your computer' (vacuum tubes, 🤣) and the Mystery one.
I don't really and didn't ever really use the sounds, cursors, fonts etc.

Reply 6 of 23, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Currently, nothing. 😀

However, I loved much the "Inside your computer" theme with those sounds, icons and cursors back then.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 7 of 23, by mvm916

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I stil use Plus! on both my Windows 95 and 98 machines. On the Windows 95 machine, which I have for experimentation and period games (but mainly experimentation), Windows 95 Plus! is what my family had on our original PC. We played a lot of Space Cadet pinball!

I didn't have Plus! on my original Windows 98 PCs, so I wanted to try it and see what it looked like and what it added. I mainly use it now for the background to make the computer look "spiffy." I particularly like the Rock N Roll theme with the psychedelic guitar wallpaper. I did not change icons, cursors, sounds and more...just the wallpaper and theme colors. I was very impressed on how good the theme and Windows 98 overall looked on a modern widescreen LCD display (though I don't use one all the time when I'm using my retro PCs).

Reply 8 of 23, by mvm916

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jasin Natael wrote on 2023-01-19, 14:43:

... notably the 'Inside your computer' (vacuum tubes, 🤣) ...

Funny you should laugh, but my "holy grail" is a AOpen AXB-533 motherboard with the tube amp with the onboard sound! Not because it had great sound, but because of the uniqueness and rarity -- it had a tube -- in a computer!

(Off topic, I apologize, but that's what the background reminds me of.)

Reply 11 of 23, by wbahnassi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I still install Plus on my Windows 95 retro machine because I liked the OS enhancements, and I use the themes every now and then. But two things I never want to lose: the original Windows 95 loading screen, and the Windows 95 startup sound. I immediatelly revert to those after installing Plus95!

Reply 12 of 23, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've always ran Plus! since 1996. Started off with Science and that began my preference towards blue desktop themes. Luna and Aero were ignored for consistency. I've only stopped using "Plus!" since my forced Win10 downgrade. 🙁

Even if you don't like the themes part, that high color icons and smooth fonts are cool to have. and space cadet's dumb face of course

Plus! 98 was too messy and Plus XP missed the point so I never really felt compelled to install those. WinME has the good parts of Plus 98 anyway

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 13 of 23, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mvm916 wrote on 2023-01-19, 15:08:
Jasin Natael wrote on 2023-01-19, 14:43:

... notably the 'Inside your computer' (vacuum tubes, 🤣) ...

Funny you should laugh, but my "holy grail" is a AOpen AXB-533 motherboard with the tube amp with the onboard sound! Not because it had great sound, but because of the uniqueness and rarity -- it had a tube -- in a computer!

(Off topic, I apologize, but that's what the background reminds me of.)

That is pretty cool. I still have tubes in my main guitar amplifier, but don't have any in my PCs sadly.

Reply 14 of 23, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My two fave XP machines run MCE 2005, which I believe adds some of the extras from XP's plus pack (I'm thinking of the dancers, aquarium screensaver, etc).
That's about it though. Everything else -- 95 to 11 -- is bone stock.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 15 of 23, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just use Plus! to show that the hardware acceleration of my ET4000/W32 ISA is enabled on my 386SX/20 when dragging full windows in Win95B.
Just enabling the reg key did not work.

Reply 16 of 23, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was also mostly a no eye candy kind of guy. It's why I ran XP in classic theme as it would free up around 2% of system resources compared to Bliss and as mentioned above most the time the OS is hidden behind programs anyway.
Vista was the last time I changed the desktop to a solid colour though, I guess by the time Windows 7 became my daily driver PC's typically had enough resources in reserve that I no longer felt any benefit.

Standard Def Steve wrote on 2023-01-19, 20:08:

My two fave XP machines run MCE 2005, which I believe adds some of the extras from XP's plus pack (I'm thinking of the dancers, aquarium screensaver, etc).
That's about it though. Everything else -- 95 to 11 -- is bone stock.

When I saw that dancer on a review of MCE it made me think of similar dancers you used to get on no-cd sites I would visit whenever I got/patched games, only those girls typically wearing a lot less 😉
(I always tried to No-CD my games for convenience and stop the CD's getting damaged)

Reply 18 of 23, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have very fond memories of playing around with Plus!98's features, few things take me back like the colored "Plus!" letters in the splash screen. Installed Plus!95 for my Win95 build too although I don't remember having it at the time. Plus!98 is just a given, no Win98 or Win98SE is complete without it for me.

I'm always respectful of the startup sound themes in every Windows version as they're pretty great, I hesitate between Win95 or WinME for the best one, maybe Win95 but I love them all.

That aside I always remove all sounds (except for that oh so familiar Win98's "tick" sound on double click) and custom pointers, and for themes I nowadays use the SimCity 2000 Theme Pack in both Win95 (Commercial Wallpaper) and Win98SE (Residential Wallpaper), both with The Mad Zoner screensaver which I adore. Also installed Sonic Screen Saver off the Sonic & Knuckles Collection for PC but I never use it, some very cool wallpapers though!

WinME and WinXP I tend to leave them pretty clean as is, though I distinctly remember heavily modding XP's appearance with other programs back in the day.

Last edited by andre_6 on 2023-01-20, 18:14. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 19 of 23, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's a Command & Conquer Red Alert theme pack on the Aftermath expansion CD. Sometimes I enable it for a while, but turn it off because it gets annoying after some time. 😉

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856