VOGONS

First post, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have an assortment of sound modules I've collected over the last 7 years, and I'm in the process of getting my "stack" put back together and hooked up properly. I haven't had them all hooked up in a while.

I have enough power supplies to power the modules I will be putting in my stack, but what I've got is an assortment of original Roland adapters from the early to mid 90s and some generic new ebay\amazon replacements (all center negative, 9v DC). I have never had any trouble with them, and I'm fairly certain I have even run some of the higher power modules with the 9.6v 200MA "Boss" brick that I received with an SC-7 a while back... though I don't recommend that if you can get something else.

Something I have noticed though is that if I use a DMM and check the voltages on my power adapters the old Roland ones all read very high, where as the new ones are all within maybe .5v of their rating. For example, I have a Roland ACK-120, which is rated for 1300MA at 9.5v. When I check the output (not plugged into a device), it shows a whopping 16.68v. I can't find any posts of mine that covered this but I recall being told that this is intentional and that voltage will drop to it's rated value once there is a load on it, but... that's a foggy memory, and as time goes on I'm more concerned about frying these things. I feel like this is just flawed testing on my part since there is no load, but I want to be sure.

It is also worth noting that my MT-200 (SC55 with a floppy drive basically) recommends a 9v 1200MA adapter and it says ACB or ACK only... and my ACK adapter is clearly marked 9.5v 1300MA, so at the very least, that should be perfectly safe to use. I think that was the adapter that actually came with this.

I would just buy all new Roland PSB-120 adapters, but at ~$40 a pop that feels like a pretty large investment, since that's about what I paid for each of these modules.

My questions for VOGONS:

1. Have you ever had a power brick clearly damage a piece of equipment like a sound module? If so, was it an old brick or a modern cheap one?

2. Are the old, original Roland bricks that are reading higher voltage when disconnected safe to use? Is this normal? And explain please...

3. What do you personally use to power your modules?

Last edited by Ozzuneoj on 2023-01-20, 01:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 1 of 9, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just to give some examples of my experience, here are the ones I have on hand that I have used in the past. At this moment, none of these have been used to run anything in the past year or two except the ACI-120J (which my DMM is saying is only putting out 1V when not loaded... which is obviously not an accurate reading if it works).

20230119_190247 (Custom).jpg
Filename
20230119_190247 (Custom).jpg
File size
1.26 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The Yamaha PA-1505 came with my TG100 and obviously isn't compatible with the others. The Roland ACK-120 came with an MT-200, the ACI-120J with an SC-55, and the Boss PSA-120T was given to me with an SC-7. Not sure if any are "original" to the devices received them with, but they've never given me any problems. Still, they haven't been used in a while.

20230119_190300 (Custom).jpg
Filename
20230119_190300 (Custom).jpg
File size
1.07 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The Ablegrid and generic 9v 1A adapters have both run several of my modules with no problems at all... but their size certainly makes it feel sketchy to use them in place of the massive ACK-120.

The CyberAcoustics is one that I've kept around from a junky old set of speakers that went bad after running them too long on a 12v power supply (moar powah 🤣), simply because it is 9v with a center negative plug. Haven't tried running anything with it, but it feels pretty heavy and solid compared to the modern generic ones. The Samson came with my Orla MicroPartner module and worked fine with that when last used.

Last edited by Ozzuneoj on 2023-01-20, 02:01. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 9, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I use RCA universal adapters for my sound modules. I find it more convenient since modules will typically have different voltage or polarities. Being able to just swap that on the power adapter is easier than trying to dig out a specific adapter from a bin of 50 of them.

The adapters I use are typically 2A or 2.5A, more than enough for what the sound modules draw.

I've never had a power adapter damage any of my modules.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 3 of 9, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2023-01-19, 23:50:

1. Have you ever had a power brick clearly damage a piece of equipment like a sound module? If so, was it an old brick or a modern cheap one?

Not that I remember, but I guess it could happen as there are many variables, such as the quality of the adapter, its condition, and such.

2. Are the old, original Roland bricks that are reading higher voltage when disconnected safe to use? Is this normal? And explain please...

The old Roland adapter that came with my modules were all of the linear type, which is basically a (quite heavy) transformer, rectifier diodes and a capacitor. Very inefficient when compared to a switching power supply, but very simple and easy to repair and maintain. These usually read a considerably higher voltage when used without a load, it's part of their nature. Besides, all the Roland modules that I own have internal linear regulators of their own, so the input voltage does not need to be that precise (although the higher the input voltage is more heat will be produced).

3. What do you personally use to power your modules?

I use a Roland PSB-120 (9V 2A) that I swap between my 3 modules (MT-32, CM-32L and SC-55 mkII) as necessary, since I only use one at a time. By the way, the PSB-120 is not restricted to 120V mains, if you look at the label you'll notice that it's actually a PSB-1U, which is universal (100-240V, 50-60Hz). The only difference is the power cable that comes with it, so the PSB-120 for example comes with a US type cable, but I use it at 220V without issue.

Reply 4 of 9, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for the input guys!

Can anyone think of a reason that the CM-64 would have such high power requirement markings on it? It says 1300mA 1200mA, compared to 650mA for the MT-32 and 500mA for the SC-55. Just seems kind of crazy since it doesn't even have to drive a screen, audio mixer, etc. Maybe it needs more if you use the "Phones" jack? 😀

I just ask because I believe I was running it with one of the cheap new 1A adapters without any problems. Actually, I also used a 1A adapter to run an MT-200 which also has to power a floppy drive and additional sequencing features, on top of all the usual SC-55 hardware. And even that is marked 1200mA... so why would the CM-64 need 1300 1200?

Last edited by Ozzuneoj on 2023-01-20, 04:34. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 5 of 9, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2023-01-20, 02:49:

Can anyone think of a reason that the CM-64 would have such high power requirement markings on it? It says 1300mA, compared to 650mA for the MT-32 and 500mA for the SC-55. Just seems kind of crazy since it doesn't even have to drive a screen, audio mixer, etc. Maybe it needs more if you use the "Phones" jack? 😀

I just ask because I believe I was running it with one of the cheap new 1A adapters without any problems. Actually, I also used a 1A adapter to run an MT-200 which also has to power a floppy drive and additional sequencing features, on top of all the usual SC-55 hardware. And even that is marked 1200mA... so why would the CM-64 need 1300?

I believe the cm64 is 2 modules in one , its CM32L and a CM32P pcb bolted together in a case so I guess if you consider 650 mA x2 it comes put at about 1300 mA

Reply 6 of 9, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can anyone think of a reason that the CM-64 would have such high power requirement markings on it? It says 1300mA, compared to 650mA for the MT-32 and 500mA for the SC-55. Just seems kind of crazy since it doesn't even have to drive a screen, audio mixer, etc. Maybe it needs more if you use the "Phones" jack? 😀

I just ask because I believe I was running it with one of the cheap new 1A adapters without any problems. Actually, I also used a 1A adapter to run an MT-200 which also has to power a floppy drive and additional sequencing features, on top of all the usual SC-55 hardware. And even that is marked 1200mA... so why would the CM-64 need 1300?

My CM-64 says 1200mA.

I'm wondering if it might be because it's two modules in one (CM-32L and CM-32P).

My CM-500 (combo of CM-32L and CM-300) is similarly rated at 1000mA.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 7 of 9, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AppleSauce wrote on 2023-01-20, 04:26:

I believe the cm64 is 2 modules in one , its CM32L and a CM32P pcb bolted together in a case so I guess if you consider 650 mA x2 it comes put at about 1300 mA

Ah, right! I forgot about that aspect of it. It's easy to forget that that card slot on the front even exists. So, I wonder if that means it doesn't "need" as much power if it isn't actively using the CM-32P part?

Shponglefan wrote on 2023-01-20, 04:28:
My CM-64 says 1200mA. […]
Show full quote

My CM-64 says 1200mA.

I'm wondering if it might be because it's two modules in one (CM-32L and CM-32P).

My CM-500 (combo of CM-32L and CM-300) is similarly rated at 1000mA.

Whoops... you're right, it's 1200mA. I've looked at so many milliamp ratings this evening I got that mixed up.

Reply 8 of 9, by amontre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Its good to know that generic is fine since here is 240

NEC Pentium 133 | 96mb RAM | 40gb HDD | s3 Virge DX | Voodoo 2 | SB AWE64 Gold | Roland MT-32 & SC 55MkII

Reply 9 of 9, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just discovered something that might be helpful to some people here.

I have several 9v adapters that would probably work fine for Roland modules if only the polarity was reversed... and I don't really like hacking into cords and flipping them around, so I started searching for reverse polarity adapters and eventually found these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/353873041789

They are 5.5x2.1mm (not sure of length exactly), so they should work with most adapters and should fit most modules.

As of right now, they're only $3.55 + $2.65 shipping for a pack of 3. I ordered two packs, so 6 of them for only $12 after shipping and tax. That's much better than the ones on Amazon that are ~$5 each.

Hopefully they actually send three, in line with the title and picture. The description is a generic cut and paste listing and only says you get one, but if they don't send three I will dispute it based on title and picture.

Anyway, this will make hooking up modules much simpler and save a lot of money. Whether I have new 9v or classic 9v adapters from non-Roland equipment, these should do the job.