VOGONS

Mini ISA ROM Card

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 48, by 4xtx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
wiretap wrote on 2021-08-29, 03:04:
Here's the first rev of the first board soldered up. I'll setup a system to test it on and flash a BASIC ROM for testing. This i […]
Show full quote

Here's the first rev of the first board soldered up. I'll setup a system to test it on and flash a BASIC ROM for testing. This is really the first day in about a week I've been able to have 20 minutes free.. haha. I've been covering for my manager at work while he's on vacation and it's been some lovely 18hr work days. I hope to have Monday free to get this tested, but no guarantees. My wife starts back to college Monday, so I'll have to keep my 4-year old occupied as well. Busy times 🤣.

sLpPnnhh.jpg

Thought I had some 20-pin sockets for the 688 chip, but apparently not. I'll have to order some.

that looks great thank you for sharing 😀

YT: https://www.youtube.com/@techdistractions

Reply 21 of 48, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have to setup a few different test rigs to test the two cards soon. I have one more work trip to go on this coming week, then I should be free for more play time after that.

9ndktseh.jpg

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 22 of 48, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you had a chance to test these? I am planning to order some PCBs and build a few for myself, for use as small cheap XT-IDE boards to use in systems having issues with larger HDDs..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 24 of 48, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
wiretap wrote on 2021-11-02, 10:31:

Sadly not yet. Dealing with several health issues in the family and I haven't had time to setup any older systems for testing.

Sorry to hear that I hope everyone is fine. I will order some PCBs and do some testing myself I think, I'll let you know how that turns out 😀

Reply 25 of 48, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks. What I had planned on doing was use the EEPROM card in a system to flash XT-IDE, and if that works, dump the pre-configured bin file to be flashed onto an EPROM for testing the other card.

My Github

Reply 26 of 48, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am planning on building the EEPROM version, and doing the XT-IDE BIOS flashing with a programmer. Should work, right?

Reply 27 of 48, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You have to run the XT-IDE tool in DOS to configure the custom bin file, then dump it for burning, or just burn it using the EEPROM card itself.

My Github

Reply 28 of 48, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
wiretap wrote on 2021-11-02, 11:25:

You have to run the XT-IDE tool in DOS to configure the custom bin file, then dump it for burning, or just burn it using the EEPROM card itself.

Yeah but the configuration can be done in DOSBOX, and then the burning can be done in an EEPROM programmer right? Sorry, I'm an XT-IDE virgin 😁

Reply 30 of 48, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

One last question: Is the main reason there is an EEPROM board to enable flashing it while in the computer? Considering I can program the EEPROM elsewhere, can the original EPROM board be used with a 28C256/512 EEPROM?

Reply 31 of 48, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Pinouts are different on the chips. You'd have to mod it to work. ( https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questio … -how-to-wire-we ) But the EEPROM board enables flashing on the computer itself if you put on the enable jumper. But yes, you could flash the chip outside the system beforehand.

My Github

Reply 32 of 48, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Two quick questions for the EEPROM card:

1. Would electrolytic caps work in place of tantalums in this?
2. a) Would the card work without the write enable switch?
2. a) Upon checking the circuit, I think the answer to the above is NO, so I guess we could just bridge 1-2 and 4-5 permanently to make it work in write protected mode?

Permanent Write Protect
1-2 3
4-5 6

2. b) Can the switch be replaced with a jumper block instead? So that shunting 1-2,4-5 protects the EEPROM, and 2-3, 5-6 write enables it?

Reply 33 of 48, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's a (possibly dumb) question: Could you put DOS on one of these roms, boot off it and (in the case of an EEPROM equipped card) actually mount a partition so you could edit autoexec and config.sys? Sort of like an ancient SSD? That would be kinda cool... At least I think so.

Reply 34 of 48, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Socket3 ,
put dos on it, yes,
boot off it, yes
mount a partition ... it's an 8 bit card that lives in a 1MB address range in which all your RAM, BIOSs and videoram is located,
which, best case, leaves you with, in ideal circumstances, I think around 368KB, less ideal 256KB, worst... 64K or less.
for which you'll likely need some software to use it.
So, yeah, It's possible...

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 35 of 48, by Plasma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have an XT clone with DOS in ROM. It's mapped to the upper memory area with only the bare minimum files (io.sys, msdos.sys, command.com). It's a neat trick but really only useful if you don't have a hard drive.

Reply 37 of 48, by Phoboss1976

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wiretap wrote on 2021-07-23, 16:37:
Designed a little boot ROM card this morning for running various ROMs in one of my XT boards that doesn't have additional ROM so […]
Show full quote

Designed a little boot ROM card this morning for running various ROMs in one of my XT boards that doesn't have additional ROM sockets. It has a jumper block for setting a wide variety of addresses as designated on the silkscreen. Should work on XT-->486 and other systems. I saw some other boards for sale that are similar, but they use more parts and are more expensive -- this should be a pretty cheap option if you want to build just a simple/small boot ROM card. I designed it for a 27C256 EPROM/OTP since those are pretty common and cheap.

KiCAD, gerbers, BOM attached. Not tested yet, but I have some boards on order.

BS6of0k.png

3AeJBtb.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------

EEPROM Version that is flashable, supporting 28C64B and 28C256. This one should be better if you need to configure and flash the chip from within the PC itself. (configurable ROMs) - just put the write enable jumper on:

ZxoDXK1.png
^--the black box (S1) is a little DPDT switch, no 3D model available.

Nqogi1c.png

i am sure there is one 10k resistor missing from the circuit. This is the ROM enable.

Attachments

Reply 38 of 48, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yea it is a possibility. I never got to test that board. I'll have to revisit the schematic design when I get back from out of town next month. A bodge could be soldered in place in the meanwhile.

My Github

Reply 39 of 48, by Phoboss1976

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ignore my previous posts.
The small card works like a dream. Obviously I made a mistake when I used the incorrect XTIDE bin. If you look at the picture It only works where the jumper is set to. I tried it in 3 different machines. 2x386 and a 486 machine. The card works with 27c128 and 27c256. Whichever chip you use you will have to make the bin file to fit into the chip.

The bigger card? Hmm. It does not want to work yet. I have the correct chip. I have the correct bin. I just need to find the address where it wants to work.
Follow up.

Both type of cards are working.
Found the address. I use AT28c64. Only the first jumper needed.

Attachments