VOGONS

First post, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello lovely people,

I have a DIY h/s as I lack an original socket 4 cooler.

I'd like to get some data in order to locate an adequate and more stable (mechanically, as I use some metal wire - yes, it is a bad idea as it is conductive) substitute.
If you can post some pics with measures or just have a solution I'd be super glad.
Right now I use a socket 7 but it works if kept flat, no tower case 🙁

Anyway thanks a lot to all as always for the help and advice.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 1 of 4, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

certain coolers have a metal clasp that's long enough that you can bend it to fit socket 4. i've done this once with a s7/s370 cooler that's sold under manhattan, startech and maybe other labels. worked fine, but i've only used it for a short time and i don't know if there might be some mounting pressure issues on the socket long-term, because the cooler is a lot taller than any actual socket 4 cooler. the other caveat is that of course you need the correct mounting tabs on the socket, but the common batman's revenge board does have this.

Reply 2 of 4, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My only Soc 4 cpu has a 50mm x 50mm aluminum HS glued to the P-60 cpu. (is an OEM cpu+hs p/n 616971-001 <IBM or Compaq>)
Any 50mm x 50 mm x 20mm would work with a proper clip or adhesive pad...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 4, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used 3M thermal adhesive tape to attach the heatsink to my P60, works great. Looks like it was originally stuck on with some sort of thermal epoxy as some traces and marks remain on the CPU, but when I got it they were already separated.

Also, the Socket 4 on my Batman's Revenge board has no tabs at all (and it's not that it had tabs that were broken, it just doesn't have any), so gluing the heatsink to the CPU seems like the only option in my case. There are a couple of holes near the socket which I suspect may have been used for a custom fan/cooler assembly, but not sure about that.

P60_heatsink.jpg
Filename
P60_heatsink.jpg
File size
533.61 KiB
Views
File comment
P60 with heatsink
File license
Public domain

Measurements are as follows: base 55x50mm, height 21mm

You can use a much smaller heatsink because you always want to have a fan blowing air on it. Even a large heatsink like mine gets really hot really fast without any active cooling. I think most cases back then had the bare heatsink with some fan nearby providing some airflow, but nowadays a fan on top of it seems like the simpler solution.

Reply 4 of 4, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As a collector, gluing to the cpu is not feasible.

I already used a metal bracket (the asymmetrical hooks) and it almost fried the cpu as it came off.
It was a big scare 😀

Probably I'm stuck on a DIY solution

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K