VOGONS

First post, by Vic Zarratt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all, this topic is a follow-up to my thread for a soundcard at: Re: Choice of soundcard for a fast win98 computer
That thread will tell you about what kind of system i'm building here. Ideally i would like to use my nVidia 6200le when i have time to commence on the project, but being a 128bit PCI-e card means a strong chance of it not working under 98se, in this case i have two fallback options, both are 64bit PCI:
nVidia Geforce 2 mx400
Matrox G450 dual-head
which one will be better suited to this system?

I manage a pot-pourri of video matter...

Reply 2 of 4, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
eddman wrote on 2023-01-20, 19:01:

The geforce should have better compatibility and drivers for games.

P.S. Regular PCI is 32-bit wide. PCIe is 1-bit per lane, so 16 max.

I think the bit thing is in regard to the memory interface on the card.

Reply 3 of 4, by eddman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2023-01-23, 17:29:

I think the bit thing is in regard to the memory interface on the card.

Oh, you're right. I guess I got confused by seeing the slot type written next to the bits, and the fact that memory's bus width has no bearing on compatibility.

Reply 4 of 4, by Vic Zarratt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all, i've come back here with a funny story to share
I bought a phase 9 pc control pad for cheap on ebay and it arrived...
but the seller seems to have added a surprise inside the box: a green PCIe video card!
It has the pn 109-a62931-01, which google claims it to be an ati x600se with 128mb 😀
This one has a DMS-59 connector which is something i haven't seen before. one will need to add a dual-head adapter for hooking up to either DB15 of DVI

The other blue card is the opposition: that nVidia 6200le, an asus branded one that does have a nice RCA style video-out, not sure if the memory is 64mb or 256mb...
I'll have to wait for my DMS59 adapter to arrive to see if the ATi will function okay

Attachments

I manage a pot-pourri of video matter...