Reply 1760 of 1952, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RandomStranger wrote on 2023-01-19, 18:49:
I picked up a couple of games this week. […]
Show full quote

I picked up a couple of games this week.

IMG_20230119_174338.jpg

Everything left of GRID was a freebie. Games that the seller claims he has a lot of and no one wants to buy them so he gave it to me as compensation for my previous purchase when I received Art of Conquest instead of Empire Earth, even though he refunded me and I told the freebies are unnecessary.

Thi Sims: On Holiday - I don't have the base game for this. It came with a manual.

The Sims 2 - I wouldn't have bought it, but don't mind having it. I played some of it back in the days. Good condition, came with manual and other inserts. Installs and plays.

Empire Earth - I wanted a retail copy of this game for a while, I already had the GoG version. Sold Out bargin bin version, no manual. Installs and plays.

Sim City 3000 - Sold Out bargin bin version, no manual, the disc is a little dirty, but not many scratches. I guess I'll try it on my Win98 machine (once I get it back up). I mildly enjoyed Sim City 4.

IMG_20230119_174418.jpg

Race Driver GRID - Up until now I used the GoG version for retro games. This one is released by CD Project. Cardboard outer box, thick DVD case inside, came with a manual, the disc is in good condition. Installs and launches, but when I open the graphics settings, the game crashes and after that crashes upon launch until I delete the config file. Then it repeats if I enter the graphics settings again. Either it needs to be patched, or it somehow conflicts with the GoG version that was previously installed. I'll investigate later.

IMG_20230119_174549.jpgIMG_20230119_174602.jpg

Rush for Berlin - Cardbord box, there is a little wear on it, but otherwise good condition. Looks worse on the photo than in real life. The disc is in like-a-new condition, came with a manual. Installs and plays.

IMG_20230119_174514.jpg

XIII - 4CDcardboard box version. A little bit worn, both the box and the discs, nothing serious on the discs, the box however is as bad as it looks. Installs and plays.

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault - I already had the EA Classics version, but I wanted the non-bargin bin release. Now the cover art covers the full front cover 😁 The discs are also in good condition. Came with a manual and a separate install guide.

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault: Spearhead - I didn't own this expansion until now, got it just to make my MOHAA collection complete. Came with a manual, though localised as well as the box, so it stands out like a sore thumb among the base game and Breakthrough. Installs and plays.

Soldier of Fortune - Xplosiv bargin bin in a different bargin bin's box, a sheet of paper as a manual. Installs, and plays on my XP rig with the community patch, crashes on launch without it. Probably something is too modern for the game to tolerate.

Addendum to a trade with a narcissist seller.

Yesterday morning I left a positive feedback with overall satisfaction, but respectfully pointing out that the packaged weren't packed safely and arrived torn open. The games were unharmed, but it was only to pure luck that nothing got damaged or fallen out of the package.

The evening the seller called me and yelled at me for 10 minutes that it's not his fault, the delivery guy had to have been an asshole making up bullshit stories that he must have been cheated on and his girlfriend dumped him so he took out his anger on the packages he delivered, meanwhile I tried calming him that I don't cast blame, I'm not unsatisfied, I left a positive feedback and all I wrote was constructive criticism.

After the phone call, I sent him a photo of the package he was so proud of two peaces of shoe box wrapped in one layer of gift wrap paper. This was the one that torn open and almost half of the disc cases were hanging out. There are times when couriers mishandle packages and they got damages. This packing had little chance surviving even normal handling.

Photo of the packing:

4780ff07-4fc6-42af-b5f7-40c2f54b552b.jpg
Filename
4780ff07-4fc6-42af-b5f7-40c2f54b552b.jpg
File size
1.47 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

My mail (lit, translation):

I'm contacting you like this because you were very agitated on the phone and it was difficult to converse with you. This photo was taken of the packing. This single layer of paper wrap tore and part of the cases were hanging out. This is from what a proper box would have protected the package.

Again, I'm not raising a complaint. What I wrote in my feedback I intended as constructive criticism. If the courier mishandles the package even worse, the games could have gotten damaged or the whole package falls apart and who knows in what condition they arrive.

His response, mostly literal translation (some idioms changed to fit English better):

Look, /*my name*/, I told you everything in the phone, that the courier is a fucking careless faggot is one thing, I told you th […]
Show full quote

Look, /*my name*/, I told you everything in the phone, that the courier is a fucking careless faggot is one thing, I told you that too.
After shipping 1000 games this is the only one that was torn open, I told you this too.
One can't ship everything in a box, because it'd cost approx. $1.40 more, would you pay for it? Ofcoures not.
The fact that out of our 3 dealss (note: 2 deals, which covered 3 listings in total) you always had some issues tells A LOT.
EG. the back of the disc, you had to clean it (note, our 1st deal, some of the discs were so dirty they were unreadable, but fixed with a wash, I left positive feedback, but I told him in mail about the issue and that others who don't know better might raise issues if they games don't work and appear faulty.) or some nuisance you had, what the fuck?? These are used discs, it happens. I have unopened games and I have premium quality games and I have absolute rarities (Doom2) etc....... So if you are so big of a connoisseur, why don't you buy those?? (note: he doesn't have the games I'm looking for in those categories)
Don't be mistaken, I'm not picking a fight, but it's a joke, that you always have some issues. Because if you have, compared to other sellers (who say go fuck your self), I SOLVE THEM!
The first message was a laughing stock (note: It's probably the one I complained that I bought Empire Earth and he sent Art of Conquest, and the dirty discs last time we did business) at the second one you got your money back (note: this got me confused, maybe he confuses me with another buyer of his and genuinely thinks we did business 3 times, but he did refund me for EE), and now the courier kid played soccer with the package (is that my fault?) plus I tried to be a good partner and gave you free games (note: which I told him is unnecessary, but he said the package is already packed and won't take them out), do you sense THE BRUTAL DIFFERENCE BETWEEN US??
I'm trying, and you have problems with everything.... PROBLEMS which I'M TRYING to solve.
I thought I write to you because another phone call WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN SIMPLE.
As closing words - and on my part the case is closed - If you plan to do business with me in the future, you too try to be "more normal and cooperative". If not, there sure to be a lot more rad sellers with better products.

My response:

I didn't say a bad word about you, yet you address me in an attrocious manner. Both in phone and in mail insulting me. To be hon […]
Show full quote

I didn't say a bad word about you, yet you address me in an attrocious manner. Both in phone and in mail insulting me. To be honest it puts me off from dealing with you in the future.

The fact that you want to solve the issues is good attitude, but I explicitly didn't ask for free games. On my part our previous dealing ended with satisfaction.

During our last deal it wasn't I who posted the wrong item for myself and the thing about the dirty discs I just mentioned that because if someone else buys them who don't bother with cleaning them, he might raise a serious complaint.

And now it wasn't me, who packed the package in a way that it couldn't take the stress of shipping. Couriers can mishandle packages, that's a fact, but to me it worth $1.40 more to get them safely.

And I am the dick and it tells a lot about me that in good faith I notify you what to pay attention to so there won't be any issues in the future either with me or others. If you take this into account or don't care, it doesn't matter to me, but don't attack me and yelling at me in the phone for 10 minutes, calling me and everyone else names.

Now this is the brutal difference between us. I didn't say a bad word about us, only on the side of A POSITIVE FEEDBACK I notified you about something that could have caused problems, because now it really was only pure luck that it didn't . I didn't ask for compensation, I didn't insult you, I didn't back out of the deal, I came back after our last dealing that I was aware of the condition of your items.

Then I blocked his number on my phone and I won't ever do business with him again.

I don't think I was in the wrong, but let you be the judge. Maybe I'm the moron he claims I am. Maybe I' m a moron in the complete opposite way.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 1762 of 1952, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A narcissist is always a narcissist. Since then he tried to contact me again. I assume not to apologize. The first line of the email notification was "I tried to call you, but you didn't fuckin' answer...". On my part, the case really is closed. Mail left unread and marked as spam.

Reply 1763 of 1952, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote on 2023-01-23, 06:43:
Tetrium wrote on 2023-01-21, 10:34:
appiah4 wrote on 2023-01-21, 08:05:

Is it the original or the anniversary remake?

It's this version.

That's the original 😀

Are you sure? I assume it's some kind of re-release as the dates are 1993 (original game) and 1999 (the release of this particular version which I bought).
So the software may be original, but the package was definitely some kind of budget re-release.
Btw I haven't taken a look on the disk yet. I already have a boxed Settlers 2 and picked this one up by chance for cheap.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 1764 of 1952, by zyzzle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wow, talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill. Some people simply can't take any constructive criticism. However, the issue is done. You've got bigger fish to fry, and the time you spent on this could have been used much better elsewhere.

Pedantism and narcissists don't mix, is the moral of this story. But, the good news is the games miraculously arrived undamaged, so you don't have to spend any more time on this issue, and can enjoy your new games.

Reply 1765 of 1952, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found it on Saturday on a local trading. It was up there for less than a day. Wasn't under priced, but the discs are completely scratch-free and finding one that isn't an EA Classics or whatever else bargin bin release is difficult, so I jumped before anyone else had the chance. I got it today and already run on my old top-speed test track, Outer Loop, a speed test with the trusty old Corolla. And the graphics is actually better than I remembered.

IMG_20230131_153231.jpg
Filename
IMG_20230131_153231.jpg
File size
1.21 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 1766 of 1952, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Managed to snag this beautiful exterior that sadly just contains the original disks. Still, not going to complain about it.

758A3135-B63F-4984-880C-B5FE3730BAD0.jpeg
Filename
758A3135-B63F-4984-880C-B5FE3730BAD0.jpeg
File size
1.57 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 1767 of 1952, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RandomStranger wrote on 2023-01-31, 15:15:

And the graphics is actually better than I remembered.

This ie because you have the CD in hand!!

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 1768 of 1952, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
IMG_20230216_154326.jpg
Filename
IMG_20230216_154326.jpg
File size
1.3 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I've always been curious about this game. Back then the gaming magazine I've been subscribed to chose this "game of the month" in the same month they tested Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, which is a great game and one of my all time favorites. Interesting thing is, local reviewers liked the game, international/English speaking journalists however gave it mixed reviews.

Either way, the game became forgotten and that made me even more curious if it's actually a forgotten gem.

The copy I got is in absolutely flawless condition as if it was brand new aside of not being foiled. Graphics-vise the game aged very gracefully, even more so than PoP:SoT which also aged well. I've encountered a bug where the game ran in slow-motion, but found a fix that worked.

I'm looking forward to playing this after I beat Underground.

BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2023-02-02, 20:01:
RandomStranger wrote on 2023-01-31, 15:15:

And the graphics is actually better than I remembered.

This ie because you have the CD in hand!!

Maybe. Though I got conflicted about it. It's the EU version while the pirated one I had back then was the US version. Which has the Vauxhall Corsa and Peugeot 106 instead of the Acura RSX and Honda Civic. I don't mind much having the Corsa, but I consider not having the Civic heresy. Will the game recognize them if I add the files from the US version?

Reply 1769 of 1952, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dragon's Lair 3D is a middling experience, poorly controlled, mildly interesting design, probably better left forgotten game. Enjoy the journey 😀

Reply 1770 of 1952, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shagittarius wrote on 2023-02-16, 18:45:

Dragon's Lair 3D is a middling experience, poorly controlled, mildly interesting design, probably better left forgotten game. Enjoy the journey 😀

I've played the original Tomb Raiders and Prince of Persia 3D and based on the tutorial level it controls better than those. I'm not afraid. 😁

Reply 1771 of 1952, by Asininity

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found this unopened copy of Microsoft Golf 1999 at Half Price. I wasn't expecting much inside, but I must admit I was just a little disappointed.

PXL_20230227_030615555.jpg
Filename
PXL_20230227_030615555.jpg
File size
103.72 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
PXL_20230227_030732110.jpg
Filename
PXL_20230227_030732110.jpg
File size
233.29 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
Shagittarius wrote on 2023-02-16, 18:45:

This reminds me that Dragon's Lair is available on the Xbox 360 and is playable with the Kinect. I should buy it, it sounds like it'd be a wonderfully middling and disappointing experience.

Reply 1772 of 1952, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Recent pickups, the bottom two for my inner 8 year old of course. I think this is the exact version of Hoyle I want, found one half installed on a centrino laptop and couldn't stay off the 2 games that were working. Not super super sure if that Il2 pack is installable to play yet or is just expansions derp, yah I know, Orc tainted, f*ck P*tin, but WWII planes are my jam... a bit.

Attachments

• march23game.jpg
    Filename
    march23game.jpg
    File size
    421.05 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Aircraft might seem to be a theme here.
    File license
    Public domain

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 1774 of 1952, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-03-24, 15:17:

Recent pickups, the bottom two for my inner 8 year old of course. I think this is the exact version of Hoyle I want, found one half installed on a centrino laptop and couldn't stay off the 2 games that were working. Not super super sure if that Il2 pack is installable to play yet or is just expansions derp, yah I know, Orc tainted, f*ck P*tin, but WWII planes are my jam... a bit.

Its the Forgotten Battles version of the base game plus the Aces expansion so effectively its base + 2 expansions. That is one of the finest, most complete flight sims you will ever play. IDK about that version but the 1946 Pack (all expansions) has hundreds of planes.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 1775 of 1952, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not bought many games recently but today I picked up a plastic wrapped dragon age 2 copy on a thrift store for 0.5 USD. I have been planning to play that one, think I played the first one on pc and the third one on PS4. It should run on windows 10 I presume, maybe even my surface pro 6.

IMG_20230324_204352.jpg
Filename
IMG_20230324_204352.jpg
File size
1.18 MiB
Views
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

Reply 1776 of 1952, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joakim wrote on 2023-03-24, 19:51:

Not bought many games recently but today I picked up a plastic wrapped dragon age 2 copy on a thrift store for 0.5 USD. I have been planning to play that one, think I played the first one on pc and the third one on PS4. It should run on windows 10 I presume, maybe even my surface pro 6.

IMG_20230324_204352.jpg

DA2 you will either love or hate. Its arguably a more controversial title than Inquisition just because everyone agreed Inquisition was just "good". Not great, not mediocre, good. DA2 opinions range from it being Origins tier to it being garbage.

I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 1777 of 1952, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote on 2023-03-25, 05:03:
Joakim wrote on 2023-03-24, 19:51:

IMG_20230324_204352.jpg

DA2 you will either love or hate. Its arguably a more controversial title than Inquisition just because everyone agreed Inquisition was just "good". Not great, not mediocre, good. DA2 opinions range from it being Origins tier to it being garbage.

I remember da3 being stupid big. I had to rush through it a bit to not be totally overwhelmed.

I read da2 was rushed, models were reused etc. I guess the last owner really trusted the reviews and never opened it. 😁

Reply 1778 of 1952, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote on 2023-03-24, 16:35:

Its the Forgotten Battles version of the base game plus the Aces expansion so effectively its base + 2 expansions. That is one of the finest, most complete flight sims you will ever play. IDK about that version but the 1946 Pack (all expansions) has hundreds of planes.

Mmmm tasty, thanks, I'm seeing quotes of 120+ types, 80 flyable.

hmm ready to go machines to try it out... P4 2.0 with R7500... probably a bit too minimum... X2 with HD7750.. I hear of problems, not sure what it's supposed to look like etc so later? ... A64 3000+ with x300?? ... P4 3.4 with 7300GT?? .... yah none of these were ideal "built" configs for anything really, just junk that happens to be together at the moment.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 1779 of 1952, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-03-25, 18:26:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote on 2023-03-24, 16:35:

Mmmm tasty, thanks, I'm seeing quotes of 120+ types, 80 flyable.

hmm ready to go machines to try it out... P4 2.0 with R7500... probably a bit too minimum... X2 with HD7750.. I hear of problems, not sure what it's supposed to look like etc so later? ... A64 3000+ with x300?? ... P4 3.4 with 7300GT?? .... yah none of these were ideal "built" configs for anything really, just junk that happens to be together at the moment.

I just checked and IL2 1946 (which is cheap ASF on GOG, goes on sale for even less often) has 229 flyable planes. The modding community is also batshit insane for 1946.

The HD7750 rig is probably the best fit, all the other are too under powered and IL2 can actually be somewhat demanding at modern resolutions. I do this too, 🤣 I spend 3 hours building the perfect period correct rig for X game then play for 5 minutes and go "Yep, that's perfect!" then never touch that rig again and usually end up disassembling it a year or so later. I've tried to stop doing this, I've got some rigs I try to remind myself exist TO ACTUALLY PLAY GAMES ON instead of wasting time doing another pointless build. These are permanent builds I actually specced the f*ck out of.

Just play your games, don't chase that last 1 percent of period correctness.