Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 47900 of 52694, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cool, run a 32bit PCI card in it just to see everyone lose their shit. 🤣

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 47902 of 52694, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-02-05, 17:29:

I have a PCI TNT2 which should be a great fit 😁

My retro pc youtube channel
Twitter

Reply 47903 of 52694, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
LewisRaz wrote on 2023-02-05, 17:42:
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-02-05, 17:29:

I have a PCI TNT2 which should be a great fit 😁

I like these PCIe + AGP + PCI boards
I'm thinking about using a Linux hypervisor to run retro OSes with PCI / (AGP ?) Passthrough.
Not sure if it's possible.
Maybe on late board like 4coreDual-sata2 (I just got one last week, but no time to play with it ATM)

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 47904 of 52694, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Duuuuuuuude, I got a Dell.

PXL_20230205_151623893.jpg
Filename
PXL_20230205_151623893.jpg
File size
155.56 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
PXL_20230205_151644409.jpg
Filename
PXL_20230205_151644409.jpg
File size
209.61 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
PXL_20230205_151650998.jpg
Filename
PXL_20230205_151650998.jpg
File size
203.61 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 47905 of 52694, by danieljm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

These might be my last purchases for a little while. I've come across too many good deals lately and I've blown my budget. 😀

IMG_0391.JPEG
Filename
IMG_0391.JPEG
File size
502.46 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

ATI 9800 Pro - This one was super important to me. One of those cards I desperately wanted but couldn't afford at the time. I recall it being associated with Half Life 2(one of my all time favs) in some sort of marketing relationship back before it came out, so I've always fondly paired them up in my mind. As you might imagine, one of the first things I did with it was put it in my A7N8X-E / Athlon XP-M 2500+ system from back in the day and start up HL2. It was glorious. 😁

IMG_0390.JPEG
Filename
IMG_0390.JPEG
File size
411.95 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Creative Sound Blaster Pro 2 - I'm not sure how it's possible, but this is the 3rd one I've come across in the past month or so. It was freaking out when I tried testing it, but then I remembered they don't like faster systems. After a quick speed adjustment with SetMul it's working like a champ.

IMG_0388.JPEG
Filename
IMG_0388.JPEG
File size
343.64 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Goldstar IODE-3290U Multi I/O Card - This is now the oldest thing I have. All the mobos I own are new enough that they've got integrated controllers, so I haven't tested it yet. I guess it's a great excuse to start searching for older parts.

IMG_0389.JPEG
Filename
IMG_0389.JPEG
File size
296.36 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

AOpen AW744 - My first PCI OPL3 card. Should be fun to tinker with. I might do the mod to add the SB-Link connector to it just for the fun of it. 😀

(File attachment limit - continued in next post)

Reply 47906 of 52694, by danieljm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
IMG_0392.JPEG
Filename
IMG_0392.JPEG
File size
798.91 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

FIC VA-503+ - Bought it as an untested item on eBay for a little over $20. At first I thought it wasn't working, but it turns out the sheer number of jumpers was my downfall and it's actually working great. 😀 A quick test makes it seem quite a bit faster than my GA-5AX, much more than I expected. Something I'll need to dive into a little more. Anyway, quite the relief that this board seems to be a winner from an untested listing.

IMG_0393.JPEG
Filename
IMG_0393.JPEG
File size
431.85 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG_0394.JPEG
Filename
IMG_0394.JPEG
File size
212.17 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

ASUS P4P800 w/ 2.8GHz P4 HT - I gotta say I don't think I've ever seen a cooler like this. Looks pretty neat IMO. Also happy that I'm not seeing any bulging caps on the board. The same can't be said for the FX 5600 that came with it. Contemplating recapping the video card, but it's an FX 5600, so is it really worth it? 😉

Reply 47907 of 52694, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
danieljm wrote on 2023-02-06, 05:19:

AOpen AW744 - My first PCI OPL3 card. Should be fun to tinker with. I might do the mod to add the SB-Link connector to it just for the fun of it. 😀

Just so you know, there are various compatibility and driver quirks with these PCI cards, in general, and among chipsets. I have a few of these Yamaha XG PCI cards, and there are even some compatibility variations between them, even with the same chip.

For example, some cards or cards combined we th some systems will blue screen with VxD drivers. AOpen, I believe, provided their own driver packages. So if you find that you're having any issues, using their drivers may fix it for you.

Some heavily customized XG implementations won't work at all with anything other than the manufacturer supplied drivers, such as on some laptops.

I also experienced some kind of filesystem corruption with the DOS utility. I did not investigate this thoroughly, but it happened at least twice, is it wasn't a fluke. It might have been a result of using FAT32 or something that was triggered by Windows 3.1; I'm not exactly sure. Just beware, if you use the DOS tool on a system with data that you care about.

I found this card is most stable in Windows 9x with the WDM drivers. However, you will lose Yamaha OPL support in Windows. In this case, pair it with a second card for OPL and use the Yamaha for Windows sound acceleration, Roland MIDI emulation, and XG synthesis.

It's really a great card, if you can get it working.

Reply 47908 of 52694, by danieljm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kahenraz wrote on 2023-02-06, 05:59:
Just so you know, there are various compatibility and driver quirks with these PCI cards, in general, and among chipsets. I have […]
Show full quote

Just so you know, there are various compatibility and driver quirks with these PCI cards, in general, and among chipsets. I have a few of these Yamaha XG PCI cards, and there are even some compatibility variations between them, even with the same chip.

For example, some cards or cards combined we th some systems will blue screen with VxD drivers. AOpen, I believe, provided their own driver packages. So if you find that you're having any issues, using their drivers may fix it for you.

Some heavily customized XG implementations won't work at all with anything other than the manufacturer supplied drivers, such as on some laptops.

I also experienced some kind of filesystem corruption with the DOS utility. I did not investigate this thoroughly, but it happened at least twice, is it wasn't a fluke. It might have been a result of using FAT32 or something that was triggered by Windows 3.1; I'm not exactly sure. Just beware, if you use the DOS tool on a system with data that you care about.

I found this card is most stable in Windows 9x with the WDM drivers. However, you will lose Yamaha OPL support in Windows. In this case, pair it with a second card for OPL and use the Yamaha for Windows sound acceleration, Roland MIDI emulation, and XG synthesis.

Thanks for all that info. This will definitely be helpful.

And now that you mention it... after testing a number of parts including this card, I was getting errors about bad sectors. This would have been on a Win 98 SE system with FAT32. Might just be coincidence, but it's something I'll be wary about for sure.

Reply 47909 of 52694, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
danieljm wrote on 2023-02-06, 05:29:

IMG_0392.JPEG

FIC VA-503+ - Bought it as an untested item on eBay for a little over $20. At first I thought it wasn't working, but it turns out the sheer number of jumpers was my downfall and it's actually working great. 😀 A quick test makes it seem quite a bit faster than my GA-5AX, much more than I expected. Something I'll need to dive into a little more. Anyway, quite the relief that this board seems to be a winner from an untested listing.

IMG_0393.JPEGIMG_0394.JPEG

See my post for jumper settings.
I have this working with an AMD K6-lll+ @ 550mhz.

Link:
Can you fix my Super Socket 7 ( solved ).

Reply 47910 of 52694, by RetroPC_King

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ChrisK wrote on 2023-02-02, 10:06:

Nice little board. I love mATX.
But So754 is a somewhat limited platform imho. I had one when they came out but it didn't last very long performance-wise. So939 would have been the better choice.
For retro activitites that doesn't play any important role, though.

Thanks. I know this board is nice, but if I find a I/O Shield for it, i will turn it into a retro rig sometime, if not, maybe a retro test bench?

Reply 47911 of 52694, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
danieljm wrote on 2023-02-06, 08:07:

And now that you mention it... after testing a number of parts including this card, I was getting errors about bad sectors. This would have been on a Win 98 SE system with FAT32. Might just be coincidence, but it's something I'll be wary about for sure.

Oh, no. When this happened, the whole filesystem went kaput. I don't recall if it trashed the partition table though.

It occurred after running the DOS drivers, not simply by having the card installed.

Reply 47912 of 52694, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kahenraz wrote on 2023-02-06, 05:59:
Just so you know, there are various compatibility and driver quirks with these PCI cards, in general, and among chipsets. I have […]
Show full quote

File system corruption? I bet that it is triggered by Windows 3.1 due to possibility of using permanent swap on a FAT32 partition (which isn't recommended) and enabling direct disk access with the LOCK command if running on MS-DOS 7.x with the W3XSTART patch.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 47915 of 52694, by eesz34

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Boca Research SuperVGA with original box and additional 512K RAM sockets filled with Siemens chips made in W. Germany! The date code tells me these chips were made just months after reunification.

Attachments

Reply 47916 of 52694, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
eesz34 wrote on 2023-02-06, 15:47:

Boca Research SuperVGA with original box and additional 512K RAM sockets filled with Siemens chips made in W. Germany! The date code tells me these chips were made just months after reunification.

That's really cool! I love it when it's possible to tie a piece of hardware to a historically significant time. Makes a good candidate for a conversation piece for display. 😀

I'm guessing it's an ET3000AX?

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 47917 of 52694, by eesz34

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2023-02-06, 15:51:

That's really cool! I love it when it's possible to tie a piece of hardware to a historically significant time. Makes a good candidate for a conversation piece for display. 😀

Actually a ET4000AX. Planning to put into a 286. Yes I know that's probably mismatched but it ended up that way 😀

Reply 47918 of 52694, by danieljm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2023-02-06, 09:34:
See my post for jumper settings. I have this working with an AMD K6-lll+ @ 550mhz. […]
Show full quote
danieljm wrote on 2023-02-06, 05:29:

IMG_0392.JPEG

IMG_0393.JPEGIMG_0394.JPEG

See my post for jumper settings.
I have this working with an AMD K6-lll+ @ 550mhz.

Link:
Can you fix my Super Socket 7 ( solved ).

Thanks. I actually referenced your thread when I was having issues. 😀

My problem was entirely that I read one block of jumpers flipped somehow, so I was inadvertently trying to run my Pentium MMX 200MHz at 266MHz. Whoops! Clearly my own hubris/excitement got in the way of responsibly double checking all my jumpers before firing it on.

Edit: And to be clear, I've also tested it with a K6-2 500, and it's working fine with that as well. It's just that by that point I was being more careful. 😀

Reply 47919 of 52694, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
eesz34 wrote on 2023-02-06, 16:14:
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2023-02-06, 15:51:

Actually a ET4000AX. Planning to put into a 286. Yes I know that's probably mismatched but it ended up that way 😀

Wow, that's a pretty early ET4000AX, isn't it? I think it's also uncommon to find them with only 512KB of memory.

EDIT: Oh duh... you said additional 512K sockets were filled, not that it had only 512K total. That makes more sense. Yes, definitely sounds more like an ET4000 now. 😁

And hey, if you put it in a 286 you at least know that the video card won't be the bottleneck. 😀

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.