VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 47920 of 52354, by A001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've got a fast PIII already so for backup I needed twice the heat without performance benefits. Also seven swollen caps plus hot & impractical memory.

776.jpg
Filename
776.jpg
File size
1.85 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 47921 of 52354, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
A001 wrote on 2023-02-06, 18:39:

I've got a fast PIII already so for backup I needed twice the heat without performance benefits. Also seven swollen caps plus hot & impractical memory.

776.jpg

Be sure to pair it up with something slower like PC600 memory 😁

Jokes aside, its a fun platform to work on and should be very solid once the caps are replaced.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 47922 of 52354, by A001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Munx wrote on 2023-02-06, 18:45:

Jokes aside, its a fun platform to work on and should be very solid once the caps are replaced.

I think I'll have to fire it up for brief moment and see if it's worth recapping.

Then maybe build it in the Y2K case?

755.jpg
Filename
755.jpg
File size
1.76 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 47923 of 52354, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
A001 wrote on 2023-02-06, 18:39:

776.jpg

Totally legitimate reasons.
I approve!

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 47924 of 52354, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
A001 wrote on 2023-02-06, 19:04:
I think I'll have to fire it up for brief moment and see if it's worth recapping. […]
Show full quote

I think I'll have to fire it up for brief moment and see if it's worth recapping.

755.jpg

Why would you build it in anything else?

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 47925 of 52354, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
A001 wrote on 2023-02-06, 19:04:
I think I'll have to fire it up for brief moment and see if it's worth recapping. […]
Show full quote

755.jpg

🤯🤯🤯
Yes, that case is legally required to house a system from 1999-2001. Wow.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 47927 of 52354, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TrashPanda wrote on 2023-02-07, 03:18:

That case just screams year 2000 ..good it hurts the eyes just looking at it and yet ....I MUST LOOK CLOSER.

Yes, exactly! It's almost painful to see the big useless sheet of metal with no real ventilation and ugly holes\marks behind the transparent panel... as if the thought of using transparent plastic happened independently of the actual case design.

... and yet... would totally grab one of those if I saw it. @_@

EDIT: also, what on earth is going on with that door in the background?

Last edited by Ozzuneoj on 2023-02-07, 04:14. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 47929 of 52354, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2023-02-07, 04:12:
Yes, exactly! It's almost painful to see the big useless sheet of metal with no real ventilation and ugly holes\marks behind the […]
Show full quote

That case just screams year 2000 ..good it hurts the eyes just looking at it and yet ....I MUST LOOK CLOSER.

Yes, exactly! It's almost painful to see the big useless sheet of metal with no real ventilation and ugly holes\marks behind the transparent panel... as if the thought of using transparent plastic happened independently of the actual case design.

hey it does have a fan vent....behind the wall of plastic 😁

Reply 47930 of 52354, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TrashPanda wrote on 2023-02-07, 04:35:
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2023-02-07, 04:12:
Yes, exactly! It's almost painful to see the big useless sheet of metal with no real ventilation and ugly holes\marks behind the […]
Show full quote

hey it does have a fan vent....behind the wall of plastic 😁

I think that might only be for a PC speaker? 🥵

You know, because it was important in the 1999-2000 to have the same big honking speaker blasting in your face as an IBM 5150 had in 1982. 😮

Reply 47931 of 52354, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So... uh.

I found something a couple days ago...

😮😨😩😖

t3d1.jpg
Filename
t3d1.jpg
File size
419.98 KiB
Views
File license

🦄🦄🦄

It was more than I normally spend on things like this, but I couldn't pass it up, being the only one I have ever seen for sale.

...and... then I found something else right after that...

😐

😑

😐

😐

😦

😳

😨

😱😱😱😱

t3d_boxed.jpg
Filename
t3d_boxed.jpg
File size
191.85 KiB
Views
File license

🦄🦄🦄🦄🦄🦄🦄🦄🦄🦄🦄🦄🦄🦄🦄🦄🦄

Still in shock.

One Paradise Tasmania 3D to tinker with and one sealed for the collection within about 15 minutes of each other. 🥴😵🥴😵

Expect a thread once I receive these. There isn't much coverage of them here as far as I can tell.

Reply 47933 of 52354, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TrashPanda wrote on 2023-02-07, 06:24:

Hmm a Yamaha based 3d card ...this should be entertaining to see in action.

Yeah, I'm not expecting anything too incredible because the Direct3D driver was promised but never released, so there are only four games known to use the card. This is more of a collectible item than a useful card. Still, I love getting to see these obscure cards up close and in action, so I'm really glad I found a bare card too.

There is exactly one video showing this card in action on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxKr8OVfARI

Look at that quality, and look at those frame rates. 🤣

Anyway, I don't know how many loose cards are known to exist in the hands of people who know what they are, but I think it's a fairly small number, hence the "unicorn" status. Sealed boxes though... whew... There may be some packed away in warehouses somewhere since the cards didn't sell well, but I have come across 20+ year old posts of people talking about seeing them for sale for $60 on clearance somewhere and if it was common for them to get marked down that low I'm sure most of them were purchased, installed and immediately junked due to a lack of software to use them on.

Reply 47934 of 52354, by danieljm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2023-02-07, 06:42:
Yeah, I'm not expecting anything too incredible because the Direct3D driver was promised but never released, so there are only f […]
Show full quote

Yeah, I'm not expecting anything too incredible because the Direct3D driver was promised but never released, so there are only four games known to use the card. This is more of a collectible item than a useful card. Still, I love getting to see these obscure cards up close and in action, so I'm really glad I found a bare card too.

Anyway, I don't know how many loose cards are known to exist in the hands of people who know what they are, but I think it's a fairly small number, hence the "unicorn" status. Sealed boxes though... whew... There may be some packed away in warehouses somewhere since the cards didn't sell well, but I have come across 20+ year old posts of people talking about seeing them for sale for $60 on clearance somewhere and if it was common for them to get marked down that low I'm sure most of them were purchased, installed and immediately junked due to a lack of software to use them on.

Oh man, it looks perfectly terrible. 😁 I'm excited for you to experience it in all its glory.

That's a pretty incredible find. Well done.

Reply 47935 of 52354, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
danieljm wrote on 2023-02-07, 06:52:
Yeah, I'm not expecting anything too incredible because the Direct3D driver was promised but never released, so there are only f […]
Show full quote

Oh man, it looks perfectly terrible. 😁 I'm excited for you to experience it in all its glory.

That's a pretty incredible find. Well done.

I'm excited to check it out, for sure. 😁

And thanks, but I didn't do anything fancy to find it. I just put in the time and effort to look for weird stuff. Perhaps more time than I should. 😁

Reply 47936 of 52354, by RetroPC_King

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today I found a AMD Athlon XP 2200+ 1.8GHz FSB 266MHz CPU with Thorton core and a Spire CPU Cooler for Socket A with a copper base.
Any opinions? I plan to use this CPU on a ASUS A7N8X-X machine.

Attachments

• 20230207_112816.jpg
    Filename
    20230207_112816.jpg
    File size
    1.07 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 47937 of 52354, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That Tasmania 3D is a truly interesting piece of hardware. Utterly pointless though - makes the 3D Blaster VLB and NV1 look well supported by comparison. But that's part of the charm (there's a reason I have SSI-2001 and AdLib Gold replicas 😉 ). Hope you still have both kidneys.

Reply 47938 of 52354, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Show full quote

I would definitely play this tank game. That's the exact graphics style I love (untextured, or in this case - barely textured - low poly 3D vector graphics). Anybody knows it's name?

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 47939 of 52354, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HanJammer wrote on 2023-02-07, 11:10:
Show full quote

I would definitely play this tank game. That's the exact graphics style I love (untextured, or in this case - barely textured - low poly 3D vector graphics). Anybody knows it's name?

Judging from the stylized name on that sticker this one might be it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tank_Comm ... ideo_game)
https://www.mobygames.com/game/tank-commander
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qafznc5QMWY