VOGONS

Reply 202 of 881, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For those wondering about the price, this is an excellent deal compared to custom standalone GUS cards, as this also has excellent Sound Blaster Pro support and genuine Yamaha OPL. It's also significantly cheaper than most used Ultrasounds on the market.

Reply 204 of 881, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Xanxi wrote on 2023-02-05, 20:51:

Good news today!

About the Orpheus 2 LT, the order link gives a 404 error, you might want to fix it.

LT is not yet available, this was a limited black series run. When the time comes a new page will replace this.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 206 of 881, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote on 2023-02-05, 17:24:
https://i.imgur.com/3jDZ34u.jpg […]
Show full quote

3jDZ34u.jpg

It is now possible to order an OrpheusII board, I have made a WIP page for it in the usual place: http://pcmidi.eu/orpheus2.html

Page has all basic info in it but not all drivers are uploaded yet - missing are mainly the stock GUS PnP ones so it's not something that can't be found easily... in the next days all will be added gradually.
If someone has some sort of "driver pack" for the GUS PnP and thinks it would be useful to add just say so.
Thanks!!!

@Xanxi:
atm LT board's design is finalized, maybe there is room to make it shorter but the main issue are the full-size wt board supports. Not sure if there is place to move them on the LT board

if you're going to make it long anyway, why not make it long enough to engage the front card support brackets in a case? i.e. a true full size ISA card

don't repeat creative's mistake re: the awe32

Reply 207 of 881, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Was there no way to move the SIMM slot further to the right of the card to shorten it? Two large through-holes could also be added at the end, to give the option of 3D printing and extension to make it a full-length ISA card, for those who want it.

I imagine that a lot of extra space was added to make it easier to hand solder. I'm particularly curious about the location of the SIMM slot though. There seems to be a lot of dead space to accommodate it.

Reply 208 of 881, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Longer card = more expensive pcb + more shipping risks and cost , a few extra cm do make a difference in both

The card is long enough so it can accommodate both full-size wt boards and a 72pin ram stick.

I would love to have it shorter but then we would probably have a discussion why XR385 does not fit 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 209 of 881, by IcySon55

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Another option, although it's probably not a simple change would be to use a laptop SODIMM in place of the 72-pin memory. In this case though I imagine the power/compatibility complexity would require enough new chips on the board that it would be the same size anyways. 🤣

Reply 211 of 881, by aitotat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think a large card is nice because most of the best sound cards were big. But I do have one computer where GUS classic just barely fits so there is a good reason for smaller size if possible. I think Orpheus II should have had 16 MB RAM on board and no SIMM socket at all. And it should have been red because GUS needs to be red etc... but none of those matter. I'm sure it is an excellent card and I really want one (several actually but just one cost enough and then were would I put all the existing cards I have?).

Reply 212 of 881, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ram chips could be mounted into the back of the board as well. I don't know what kind of routing this would require though.

A GUS classic is too long to fit into my case of choice. The one I originally had, I used metal shears to actually trim the PCB a few cm, and then it fit. I'll have to use a different case entirely for this custom model, since it is longer.

Reply 214 of 881, by Marmes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

About ram on board , we thought about that , but we would have to buy dram individually or buy simms and desolder, making the card more complex and more expensive. There was a risk also to get bad ram, and debugging it and fixing would be daunting. So we decided to use a simm socket for 72 pins that are better to get and cheap.

Reply 215 of 881, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Because you guys don't have the original driver source code, I guess there is no way to easily test soldered memory.

Creative has a tool in their driver kit to test the DRAM. Is there nothing like that for GUS?

Reply 216 of 881, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

GUS drivers do have an option to test DRAM - it's not super accurate but it will reveal severe issues
thing is if a ram stick fails the test you just replace it and go on with your life , easy and cheap

Reply 217 of 881, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote on 2023-02-06, 14:42:

GUS drivers do have an option to test DRAM - it's not super accurate but it will reveal severe issues
thing is if a ram stick fails the test you just replace it and go on with your life , easy and cheap

The part about it not being particularly accurate can't be emphasised enough. Basically, if it finds a problem, you know that module won't be usable with the InterWave; if the test passes without error, there may still be a problem. If you're experiencing playback problems (assuming a playback mode that uses local InterWave DRAM), it could still be the memory module, even though the test didn't report any errors.

Reply 219 of 881, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am not alone in this , without marmes and 640k!enough orpheus things would not be what they are