VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I usually play all of my CD/DVD based games on Windows 11 through Daemon Tools and using no-CDs wherever required.

The problem came after a restart. Windows 11 no longer allows mounting of files. I used Daemon Tools, it complaints about insufficient resources, Windows Explorer iso mounting fails, UltraISO and Alcohol 120% (it even fails to set a disk drive letter) does nothing.

I will be surprised if they decide to remove disk image supports, since their own OS is shared using them.

In any case, what other options do you recommend me? Since not every type of data can be accessed by just opening a disk image file (such as music data through WinRAR or UltraISO), what alternative would I use to get the same functionality as mounting a file.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 1 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's more likely Daemon Tools broken something than Windows did (although not impossible since it changes every month). Daemon Tools is known for breaking things. Try to uninstall all mounting software. Verifying that the filter drivers each product installs is uninstalled, verifying that Windows 11 ISO mounting works. Then try to reinstall the latest version of whatever product you use.

You'd be better off with virtual clonedrive, IMO. It doesn't support the copy protections but you should be cracking those anyway.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2023-02-06, 18:41. Edited 1 time in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 10, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote on 2023-02-06, 14:29:

It's more likely Daemon Tools broken something than Windows did (although not impossible since it changes every month). Daemon Tools is known for brinking things. Try to uninstall all mounting software. Verifying that the filter drivers each product installs is uninstalled, verifying that Windows 11 ISO mounting works. Then try to reinstall the latest version of whatever product you use.

You'd be better off with virtual clonedrive, IMO. It doesn't support the copy protections but you should be cracking those anyway.

Tried Virtual clonedrive, didn't work. You asked if Windows 11 ISO mounting works, "it doesn't". The busy cursor keeps rotating. I also installed PowerISO and WinCDEmu. Like as tools it plays the "mounted" sound, but there's no drive.

The last special thing I did was install a Sound Canvas VSTi plugin to Midi Player through loopMIDI, but that shouldn't be affecting mounting and I uninstalled them all to verify.

Reply 4 of 10, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Meatball wrote on 2023-02-06, 18:31:

Although I haven't tried on Windows 11, yet; I use Alcohol Portable: https://alcohol-soft.com/alcohol_portable.php

Already used the Portable version, fails.

Reply 5 of 10, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2023-02-06, 18:53:
Meatball wrote on 2023-02-06, 18:31:

Although I haven't tried on Windows 11, yet; I use Alcohol Portable: https://alcohol-soft.com/alcohol_portable.php

Already used the Portable version, fails.

You have other problems, then, it seems. I just setup pAlcohol on a fresh installation of Windows 11, and I had no trouble mounting Dino Crisis (BIN/CUE). I also tried NHL 2002 in B6I/B6T format, and it also loaded just fine.

(Note for the moderators: I own physical original copies of both games.)

Reply 6 of 10, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try a new installation (even on a VM), it's unlikely that something like this changed so dramatically and the internet is still silent. Most probably it's another issue, especially with all these virtual drives applications you are using/have installed

Reply 7 of 10, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
konc wrote on 2023-02-07, 10:38:

Try a new installation (even on a VM), it's unlikely that something like this changed so dramatically and the internet is still silent. Most probably it's another issue, especially with all these virtual drives applications you are using/have installed

I got the issue, but I need to easiest way to fix it without needing to reinstall Windows.
file.php?mode=view&id=156820

Device SCSI\CdRom&Ven_Msft&Prod_Virtual_DVD-ROM\2&1f4adffe&0&000001 had a problem starting.

Driver Name: cdrom.inf
Class Guid: {4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Service: cdrom
Lower Filters:
Upper Filters:
Problem: 0x13
Problem Status: 0xC000000D

Attachments

Reply 8 of 10, by feda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Do you have a recent-ish system restore point? That would be the easiest option.

It seems like the driver got corrupted somehow.
Try these commands:
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
sfc /scannow

Reply 9 of 10, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is a Microsoft support page for fixing Code 19 with CDROM drives. It could be corrupted registry entries indeed, although your output does not show any filters...
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/you … b8-cf9cc38ca53e

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 10 of 10, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr_st wrote on 2023-02-07, 21:06:

There is a Microsoft support page for fixing Code 19 with CDROM drives. It could be corrupted registry entries indeed, although your output does not show any filters...
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/you … b8-cf9cc38ca53e

You are a lifesaver! I just had to uninstall the UpperFilters and LowerFilters DWORDs, and I can mount drives directly with Windows Mounter and Alcohol Portable now. Thank you.