VOGONS

First post, by 9646gt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I have a Dell XPS T550 with the 440BX board. It currently has a P3 550mhz CPU. I bought this slotket adapter on ebay' picture below, and a Coppermine 1.1GHZ 128k cache Celeron. But now I'm thinking the Tualatin Celeron or P3 would be a much better choice for later games with my Gforce 4 TI 4200.

I have found a Celeron Tualatin pre-modded that's 1.4GHz with 256k cache and 1.5v and 100MHz FSB as well as a P3 Tualatin pre-modded that's 1.26Ghz/512k/ 133FSB @1.45 VOLTS.

Would either of these work with my board? Obviously I can't run the P3 at anything but 100mhz FSB with this board so which would give better performance if I can use either? Faster clock or higher cache? Is the voltage an issue?

Attachments

Reply 1 of 6, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I happen to have a Dell T550 and both of those modded CPUs. You bought those from the Korean seller on eBay, right? That's where I got mine. I can test tomorrow, but I don't have the same slotket adapter as you. I have an MSI Master MS-6905 v2.0. By the looks of the adapter (it looks passive without any option for bus or voltage settings), if the CPUs do work in the Dell - I'm not sure they would work with that adapter. Was it listed on the Korean seller's listing for compatibility?

I'm thinking the best you'll be able to do with that adapter are Socket 370 Mendocino Celerons and Coppermine, perhaps. I could be wrong, though.

Reply 2 of 6, by 9646gt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the reply. I did in fact find them from the Korean guy haha. I actually went ahead and purchased the Celeron since it could run at full speed on the 100mhz bus. I take it your slotket adapter allows voltage settings? I'll look at his listing again and if needed I'll pick up another slotket.

Reply 3 of 6, by mmx_91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Your slotket should work with Coppermines and 'almost' any adapter supposed to do that is about to do with Tualatins by means of the Korean adapter... Well, theoretically.

The problem would come from your motherboard & bios support. Check with the Korean guy if it's possible to get support for your board 😉

Reply 4 of 6, by 9646gt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mmx_91 wrote on 2023-01-23, 09:29:

Your slotket should work with Coppermines and 'almost' any adapter supposed to do that is about to do with Tualatins by means of the Korean adapter... Well, theoretically.

The problem would come from your motherboard & bios support. Check with the Korean guy if it's possible to get support for your board 😉

Thank you. I obviously don't have voltage adjustability on my motherboard with it being OEM and I'm just not sure if this slotket will work the more I research as the CPU in my system currently uses a 1.9-2.0 voltage and the Tualatin has a max voltage of 1.5 so I guess I'll have to drop more money on a more capable slotket

Reply 5 of 6, by 9646gt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
9646gt wrote on 2023-01-23, 08:51:

Thanks for the reply. I did in fact find them from the Korean guy haha. I actually went ahead and purchased the Celeron since it could run at full speed on the 100mhz bus. I take it your slotket adapter allows voltage settings? I'll look at his listing again and if needed I'll pick up another slotket.

Hey, I ended up buying a MSI MS-6905 Dual V 1.1 and can't get the Dell to POST. Am I missing something? I have the jumpers for voltage set to Auto as the lowest manual setting is 1.8v and the other jumpers are in Single CPU and Auto 66/100mhz FSB settings.

Reply 6 of 6, by 9646gt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, Also just tried a Celeron 1.1ghz SL5XU on the same MS-6905 Dual adapter and no POST there either. Maybe the adapter is bad? It was in like new condition in the box and honestly never even looked used.