Common searches

Compaq armada 1750

Topic actions

Reply 120 of 179, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I dont normally resurrect old threads but my Armada 1750 just arrived and while I can find the 95 and NT4 restore discs I cant find a Windows 98 one, anyone got a link to a windows 98 restore iso ?
The Laptop is in great condition aside from a broken HDD caddy latch but I have found a seller that has a ton of Armada 1750 spares so this one will be getting some replacements along with extras as spares.

-Three hours in and the function key broke ..sigh I forget that old plastic keys break super easy.

Reply 124 of 179, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm just waking up, and brain currently thinks it's soldered to motherboard. In one or other of these 1750 threads there's a service manual link I think.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 125 of 179, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-01-19, 14:19:

I'm just waking up, and brain currently thinks it's soldered to motherboard. In one or other of these 1750 threads there's a service manual link I think.

Yeah you are right. I didn't know about those easy-to-solder batteries at the time, so I just stuck the wires to it with electrical tape. Has held for 2 years at least but probably not recommended. 😀

Reply 126 of 179, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-01-19, 14:19:

Naw the 1700/1750 have it attached via a tiny plug and a few wires which are soldered to the battery, I don't fancy soldering to a new coin cell but finding replacement batteries with the right plug is difficult. If I knew what type of two pin plug it was I could just grab a similar replacement from Evilbay, I have some IBM Thinkpad A20m ones that are very similar but the plug is even smaller so they dont fit.

Might just have to desolder the old one I have and solder it to a new battery.

s-l1600.jpg
Filename
s-l1600.jpg
File size
20.31 KiB
Views
File comment
1700/1750 Battery
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

This is what the battery and plug look like, the plug is the part im trying to identify.

Edit - may have an alternative, a post on EEVBlog pointed me to CR1632 and CR2031 batteries that come with legs per-soldered to them, ill just re-solder the wires to one of these...really didn't want to be soldering to a Lithium Cell.

Reply 127 of 179, by gerasis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just bought this laptop for a small amount of money. My Model is 6300/T/4000/D/0/1. Specs are LCD 13.3 800X600 , PII300, 128Mb Ram, 20Gb Hdd , Ati rage pro Lt AGP 2X / 4MB Video ram / tv out / carry bag / all the cables / PCMCI Modem e.t.c
My Laptop was locked and i managed to ulocke it by removing te Cmos Batery while soldering the bat pins with a screwdriver. You have to r power on withaout ussing the battery. It works !!!
Now i am going to install the Win95 again (CD from Archive)
The battery lasts 2 hours and tis was a suprise

Last edited by gerasis on 2023-01-24, 11:50. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 128 of 179, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ive been slowly upgrading mine, just recently got a PII400 CPU for it along with a new battery, Keyboard and a LS-120 Super Drive, not sure if I can upgrade the screen but I figure the 800x600 13 inch version is more than enough for a DOS box.

Have also sourced the super rare DvD module for it too but with how much it costs im hesitant to buy it.

Last edited by TrashPanda on 2023-01-27, 16:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 129 of 179, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2023-01-24, 11:45:

Ive been slowly upgrading mine, just recently got a PII400 CPU for it along with a new battery, Keyboard and a LS-120 Super Drive, not sure if I can upgrade the screen but I figure the 800x600 14 inch version is more than enough for a DOS box.

Have also sourced the super rare DvD module for it too but with how much it costs im hesitant to buy it.

With 'upgrade' the LCD, is it to a 640x480? 😀

Reply 130 of 179, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Joakim wrote on 2023-01-27, 16:26:
TrashPanda wrote on 2023-01-24, 11:45:

Ive been slowly upgrading mine, just recently got a PII400 CPU for it along with a new battery, Keyboard and a LS-120 Super Drive, not sure if I can upgrade the screen but I figure the 800x600 14 inch version is more than enough for a DOS box.

With 'upgrade' the LCD, is it to a 640x480? 😀

No the 14” xvga 1024 screen 🤣

I have the 13” 800x600 screen

Reply 131 of 179, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wouldn't bother with the upgrade unless you're still tryna use it for spreadsheets. 800x600 was default screen size for most of Win98s useful life, the Rage Mobility is strained filling that up, 1024 is just gonna slow it down.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 134 of 179, by stefanvl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I also have a Compaq Armada 1750 and get the 'non system disk error' constantly. I have a backup of the original disk, I have a copy of the setup diskette and the diagnostics diskette. I sometimes use the original hdd, sometime different types of ssd's or compactflash cards to run windows 95 from. It will work for a day, sometimes more, but then it will go back to 'non system disk error'. I then have to run diagnostics for a bit or take out the hdd and try, or try the ssd's or compact flash cards. I just replace them and start it up and it will work at times (sometimes it doesn't work for days). Sometimes I just do a fresh install but this is very time consuming.

Is it just time to give up on this one?

Reply 135 of 179, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stefanvl wrote on 2023-02-09, 19:19:

I also have a Compaq Armada 1750 and get the 'non system disk error' constantly. I have a backup of the original disk, I have a copy of the setup diskette and the diagnostics diskette. I sometimes use the original hdd, sometime different types of ssd's or compactflash cards to run windows 95 from. It will work for a day, sometimes more, but then it will go back to 'non system disk error'. I then have to run diagnostics for a bit or take out the hdd and try, or try the ssd's or compact flash cards. I just replace them and start it up and it will work at times (sometimes it doesn't work for days). Sometimes I just do a fresh install but this is very time consuming.

Is it just time to give up on this one?

Odd... Is the bios battery fresh? Or might be a capacitor thats almost given up perhaps.

Reply 136 of 179, by stefanvl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I now get the follwoing errors while trying to create the diagnostics partition

IMG-6257(1).jpg
Filename
IMG-6257(1).jpg
File size
61.39 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG-6256(1).jpg
Filename
IMG-6256(1).jpg
File size
95.07 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 137 of 179, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think this just you CMOS battery. You need to configure the HDD via the setup diskette but if you unplug it from the outlet will forget and give you this error at next bootup untill you run setup again.