16764891787620.jpg
Filename
16764891787620.jpg
File size
213.56 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Artist Graphics, either "2000 Pro 1600 2 MEG" (according to card) or "NetVision 2000i PCI 2MB" (according to manual)

It has the 3GA 3D accelerator, which - as far as I know - has no game support. Bigger mystery is the SIMM slots. According to the manual they accept max 4MB each allowing 8MB of (FP) DRAM to be added to the onboard VRAM. What neither manual nor archive.org version of the website explains though is what it actually does or how to use it. Also, previous owner seems to have installed 2x 16MB EDO... anyone have a clue?

Have been looking for a 3GA card since I gave away my bright red NetVision 2500i when moving years ago. Am happy now, even if it turns out to be just a paperweight.

Edit: and yes, I'm aware of this thread:
The Saga of the Artist Graphics 2000i PCI

Reply 48041 of 52812, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2023-02-15, 01:49:

How about 8 Pentium IIs a Pentium 3 and a unknown board without the cover for ...27 bucks.

I'm curious what kind of board would take those with the heatsink protruding below the connector 😕

Reply 48042 of 52812, by A001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
devius wrote on 2023-02-15, 21:04:

How about 8 Pentium IIs a Pentium 3 and a unknown board without the cover for ...27 bucks.

I'm curious what kind of board would take those with the heatsink protruding below the connector 😕

Compaq Deskpro EN series machines with angled Slot 1 connector.

Reply 48043 of 52812, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
A001 wrote on 2023-02-15, 21:23:
devius wrote on 2023-02-15, 21:04:

Compaq Deskpro EN series machines with angled Slot 1 connector.

Yup, not hard to remove these heat sinks and I have some normal ones in my parts box. ..Im really looking for the unlocked Pentium II models here, the Pentium II might also be interesting.

Reply 48044 of 52812, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dionb wrote on 2023-02-15, 19:39:
Picked up a delicious oddity today: […]
Show full quote

Picked up a delicious oddity today:

16764891787620.jpg

Artist Graphics, either "2000 Pro 1600 2 MEG" (according to card) or "NetVision 2000i PCI 2MB" (according to manual)

It has the 3GA 3D accelerator, which - as far as I know - has no game support. Bigger mystery is the SIMM slots. According to the manual they accept max 4MB each allowing 8MB of (FP) DRAM to be added to the onboard VRAM. What neither manual nor archive.org version of the website explains though is what it actually does or how to use it. Also, previous owner seems to have installed 2x 16MB EDO... anyone have a clue?

Have been looking for a 3GA card since I gave away my bright red NetVision 2500i when moving years ago. Am happy now, even if it turns out to be just a paperweight.

Wow, that one looks really cool 😀
I assume the additional RAM is used just like the internal memory for frame buffer, Z-buffer and texture buffer. It was surely targeting the professional market and not gamers.

Reply 48045 of 52812, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Also compaq made another model that has dual slot 1 board in LPX format.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/112927253728?epid=172 … ABk9SR_r_qvvKYQ

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 48046 of 52812, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Show full quote

16764891787620.jpg

Oh cool! I just read through that thread and it sounds like a typical story of a 1990s tech company. Big ideas, lots of promises, then a complete flop, followed by economic troubles, followed by legal troubles. And yet, somehow these weird hunks of fiberglass and silicon survive for 30 years and make it into the hands of people who want to know where they came from.

This one is definitely an oddball device though. It sounds like only the NT3.5 drivers have any inkling of hardware acceleration? I have been using computers for nearly 30 years and I don't recall ever using NT (closest was Windows 2000). I can't imagine why the software would be set up this way.

I'd love to know if this thing actually... you know... does anything once it is installed properly in a PC. 😀

... and what is the purpose of the extra memory? Seems absurd to be able to add so much to a card back in those days.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 48047 of 52812, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ran into this Trident GPU today and was just going to ignore it but ..I stopped to have a closer look because of the weird sodimm type of module it has. Has anyone seen one of these before ? WTF is it ?

It doesnt look like a memory expansion ...

WTF is the module.jpg
Filename
WTF is the module.jpg
File size
178.75 KiB
Views
File comment
Seller Photo - Trident Cyber 9397DVD
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The white connectors above it make me believe that there should be a breakout card perhaps .. possibly a Mpeg decoder ?

Reply 48048 of 52812, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TrashPanda wrote on 2023-02-16, 01:34:
Ran into this Trident GPU today and was just going to ignore it but ..I stopped to have a closer look because of the weird sodim […]
Show full quote

Ran into this Trident GPU today and was just going to ignore it but ..I stopped to have a closer look because of the weird sodimm type of module it has. Has anyone seen one of these before ? WTF is it ?

WTF is the module.jpg

The white connectors above it make me believe that there should be a breakout card perhaps .. possibly a Mpeg decoder ?

Never seen anything like that before. I would have gotten hung up on that too. I would agree that it's probably related to the "DVD" part of the card.

This card on VGA Legacy seems to have the same chips:
http://wap.vgamuseum.info/index.php/component … nt-cyber9397dvd
I'm not sure why they would go to the trouble of putting them on a card though.

Reply 48049 of 52812, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2023-02-16, 01:20:
Show full quote

16764891787620.jpg

... and what is the purpose of the extra memory? Seems absurd to be able to add so much to a card back in those days.

This source says about their previous chip:
"The AIB had 2 Mbytes of VRAM and a 72-pin SIMM socket for DRAM expansion which could hold up to 8 Mbytes of 80S DRAM used for Z-buffering and for display list storage."

The 3GA supports 32 bit color modes, texture mapping and high resolutions which all require a lot of memory. That thing sounds pretty impressive for the time. I never heard about the company.

Reply 48050 of 52812, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2023-02-16, 01:59:
Never seen anything like that before. I would have gotten hung up on that too. I would agree that it's probably related to the " […]
Show full quote
Ran into this Trident GPU today and was just going to ignore it but ..I stopped to have a closer look because of the weird sodim […]
Show full quote

WTF is the module.jpg

Never seen anything like that before. I would have gotten hung up on that too. I would agree that it's probably related to the "DVD" part of the card.

Im inclined to grab it but without its daughter DVD card it would be nothing more than a curio ...cant say I would ever bother using a Trident GPU 🤣.

Reply 48051 of 52812, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TrashPanda wrote on 2023-02-16, 02:08:
Never seen anything like that before. I would have gotten hung up on that too. I would agree that it's probably related to the " […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

WTF is the module.jpg

Im inclined to grab it but without its daughter DVD card it would be nothing more than a curio ...cant say I would ever bother using a Trident GPU 🤣.

Actually, those chips are for an LVDS interface! Presumably, that's what the white connectors are for as well.
https://datasheetspdf.com/datasheet/THC63LVDM63R.html

So, if you needed to run some kind of all-in-one LCD panel display PC that also played DVDs, then THIS is your card. It's amazing to think of all the oddball things a desktop-class PC was used for back in the day, and many of those things required specialized hardware like this.

Reply 48052 of 52812, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2023-02-16, 02:11:
Actually, those chips are for an LVDS interface! Presumably, that's what the white connectors are for as well. https://datasheet […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Actually, those chips are for an LVDS interface! Presumably, that's what the white connectors are for as well.

So, if you needed to run some kind of all-in-one LCD panel display PC that also played DVDs, then THIS is your card. It's amazing to think of all the oddball things a desktop-class PC was used for back in the day, and many of those things required specialized hardware like this.

Intersting .. would be a card built for Kiosk type things or running a display panel.

Reply 48053 of 52812, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TrashPanda wrote on 2023-02-16, 02:14:
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2023-02-16, 02:11:
Actually, those chips are for an LVDS interface! Presumably, that's what the white connectors are for as well. https://datasheet […]
Show full quote

Intersting .. would be a card built for Kiosk type things or running a display panel.

Exactly.

Probably not much use these days, but eh... I've never seen one of them before, so it's a neat find either way. I wonder if that particular chip has the same 3D "capabilities" (or incapabilities) as the Trident 3DImage chips from the same time period.

As for retro PC purchases, I have some on the way and a few that were delivered recently that I meant to post about.

One is this fairly uncommon Rockwell RWA010 based DCS S717 ISA (Audio Wizard?) sound card, complete with a manual and CD in a white box. I wish it had an outer retail box, but this is still pretty cool. I have never come across one of these before, and the price for this one with the accessories was very reasonable. I've read some posts about it on VOGONS and it sounds like a pretty solid card, despite the generic bargain-bin appearance.

dcs s717.jpg
Filename
dcs s717.jpg
File size
176.98 KiB
Views
File license
dcs s717_2.jpg
Filename
dcs s717_2.jpg
File size
229.72 KiB
Views
File license

Also found this just chilling out on a popular auction site since November. The price was very reasonable for a complete, boxed Matrox Parhelia 512 ("full" version of the card with 128MB of memory on a 256bit bus). I'm guessing it was either just missed by anyone who would have cared or the price has crept down over time without anyone noticing. This will be my first Parhelia, so I'm quite pleased to have one in this condition while spending less than a bare card usually goes for.

matroxparhelia1.jpg
Filename
matroxparhelia1.jpg
File size
265.21 KiB
Views
File license

Found this on a marketplace. These cards aren't terribly interesting, but the price was right for a boxed Terratec Promedia Base1. The box itself is really neat... it's small and very solid compared to most computer card boxes. Feels more like a box that would house some expensive software-on-cassette from the mid 80s.

20230210_101111 (Custom).jpg
Filename
20230210_101111 (Custom).jpg
File size
1.59 MiB
Views
File license
20230210_101132 (Custom).jpg
Filename
20230210_101132 (Custom).jpg
File size
1.5 MiB
Views
File license
Last edited by Ozzuneoj on 2023-02-16, 02:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 48054 of 52812, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Also grabbed this recently. I seem to be a sucker for weird sound card and video card boxes. This one is still sealed, though I am moderately curious what is in the box.

20230210_100711 (Custom).jpg
Filename
20230210_100711 (Custom).jpg
File size
1.46 MiB
Views
File license
20230210_100943 (Custom).jpg
Filename
20230210_100943 (Custom).jpg
File size
1.35 MiB
Views
File license
20230210_101014 (Custom).jpg
Filename
20230210_101014 (Custom).jpg
File size
1.13 MiB
Views
File license

The packaging is really cheesy but the attempt at selling this as a fancy product really took me by surprise since it's a Digital Research Technology brand card. It's almost like they were trying to hide their brand name with it shown almost as a watermark on the box. For those that haven't seen them, Digital Research Technology's sound card boxes tend to look super generic with flat colors, a normal list of specs and a picture of the exact (maybe) card in the box. It's actually very practical packaging for a budget card.

... this thing though. Oh boy. Get ready to dive into the storm with THUNDERSOUND!

... No no, not Thunderboard! That's a different sound card. Though, Media Vision did eventually become Aureal, and made the Vortex. I also love how they specify that it's a Vortex 1, just so people don't accidentally buy it thinking it's a Vortex 2. I get the feeling this company may have actually been run by decent human beings...

Reply 48055 of 52812, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HanSolo wrote on 2023-02-16, 02:01:

[...]

This source says about their previous chip:
"The AIB had 2 Mbytes of VRAM and a 72-pin SIMM socket for DRAM expansion which could hold up to 8 Mbytes of 80S DRAM used for Z-buffering and for display list storage."

Indeed, the same article says of the 3GA:
"The chip supported 4 Mbytes of VRAM for resolutions up to 2048 × 2048 and refresh rates up to 90 Hz at 1600 × 1200, as well as up to 8 Mbytes of DRAM."

There's more out there about it, including this article claiming that the 3GA was essentially designed in 1992 but due to manufacturing economics (it would have cost USD 500 per card back then) it didn't actually get made until 1995.
https://thisoldtech.ca/the-saga-of-the-artist … cs-accelerator/

That explains the odd dichotomy of - for the period - huge amounts of RAM being run incredibly slowly.

The 3GA supports 32 bit color modes, texture mapping and high resolutions which all require a lot of memory. That thing sounds pretty impressive for the time. I never heard about the company.

Don't think the DRAM can be used as plain frame buffer, the documentation's pretty clear on available modes being limited by the mount of VRAM on board.

Z-buffering makes sense, but despite name-dropping in both these articles I'm struggling to find anything resembling a list of supported software.

Reply 48056 of 52812, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2023-02-16, 02:49:

Also grabbed this recently. I seem to be a sucker for weird sound card and video card boxes. This one is still sealed, though I am moderately curious what is in the box.

If the card inside is the one shown in the picture, then I have it and there is nothing special about it.
It's as good as any other vortex 1 👍

Edit : this may be a standard design as mine is from Aztech

IMG_20230113_134345.jpg
Filename
IMG_20230113_134345.jpg
File size
1003.51 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 48057 of 52812, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote on 2023-02-16, 07:06:
Indeed, the same article says of the 3GA: "The chip supported 4 Mbytes of VRAM for resolutions up to 2048 × 2048 and refresh rat […]
Show full quote

Indeed, the same article says of the 3GA:
"The chip supported 4 Mbytes of VRAM for resolutions up to 2048 × 2048 and refresh rates up to 90 Hz at 1600 × 1200, as well as up to 8 Mbytes of DRAM."

There's more out there about it, including this article claiming that the 3GA was essentially designed in 1992 but due to manufacturing economics (it would have cost USD 500 per card back then) it didn't actually get made until 1995.
https://thisoldtech.ca/the-saga-of-the-artist … cs-accelerator/

That explains the odd dichotomy of - for the period - huge amounts of RAM being run incredibly slowly.

In 1992, such a card would actually make sense.
Before VLB, there was strong motivation to avoid the ISA bottleneck by keeping everything graphics-related on the card - see TIGA monsters with 4 MB of VRAM for frame buffer + 8 MB of DRAM for software running on the GPU.
Such cards were mad-expensive, nevertheless they did sell.
But in the PCI era, such design was doomed to fail.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 48058 of 52812, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dionb wrote on 2023-02-16, 07:06:
HanSolo wrote on 2023-02-16, 02:01:

Don't think the DRAM can be used as plain frame buffer, the documentation's pretty clear on available modes being limited by the mount of VRAM on board.
Z-buffering makes sense, but despite name-dropping in both these articles I'm struggling to find anything resembling a list of supported software.

Yes, the additional RAM will be too slow for a frame buffer, hence I cited the line about its use in the previous chip. I assume the 3GA uses it for the same data. To me that sounds pretty clever to keep the costs for the card down.

In the CAD market, texture mapping wasn't really important but you still need quite some amount of memory for a 16 bit Z-buffer at a high resolution (4MB @ 1600x1200) and CAD models can become pretty big so the resulting display lists can easily fill the rest.

Stason has some info about which drivers it came with.
Maybe we should ask the RetroCAD guy if he has some information? 😀

Reply 48059 of 52812, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

16764891787620.jpg

Hands down pretty much the most amazing find I've seen in this thread in the last 2 months.

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg