l33t++

See page 13 for video links.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 542 of 574, by ph4nt0m

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-12-12, 02:41:

I can upload a vid of popping the ihs off. It is probably the easiest part of the mod. Everything else is pretty tough.

But you have to do it the way I show.

It has worked for me many times but that isn’t to say that it will work every time. I saw a user on another forum (beginning of this thread) who popped off a bunch of different k6 IHS and like all of them killed the die. Idk what they did, but this hasn’t been my experience on k6-+ chips. You are actually the first in the thread to kill their chip trying to take it apart. Don’t take this as a dis or attack. I’m not trying to do that. You obviously tried hard to avoid this. But let me show the way I do it, and maybe we can avoid it happening again 😀

There is a 100% success chance of removing the heat spreader without killing the die if it's really stuck. Just use 30% hydrochloric acid (HCl). It eats aluminium like a charm. It attacks tin and lead, too, so don't put the whole chip into the acid. A few drops on the heat spreader, wait, wash away, repeat.

My Active Sales on CPU-World

Reply 543 of 574, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ph4nt0m wrote on 2022-12-13, 12:31:

I can upload a vid of popping the ihs off. It is probably the easiest part of the mod. Everything else is pretty tough.

It has worked for me many times but that isn’t to say that it will work every time. I saw a user on another forum (beginning of this thread) who popped off a bunch of different k6 IHS and like all of them killed the die. Idk what they did, but this hasn’t been my experience on k6-+ chips. You are actually the first in the thread to kill their chip trying to take it apart. Don’t take this as a dis or attack. I’m not trying to do that. You obviously tried hard to avoid this. But let me show the way I do it, and maybe we can avoid it happening again 😀

There is a 100% success chance of removing the heat spreader without killing the die if it's really stuck. Just use 30% hydrochloric acid (HCl). It eats aluminium like a charm. It attacks tin and lead, too, so don't put the whole chip into the acid. A few drops on the heat spreader, wait, wash away, repeat.

All of us have Hydrochloric acid at home, yeah.

I am yet angry about my poor amd k6-2+ gone in heaven.

Can't wait to k6-3+ to arrive then and install it and make my Windows 98SE system run again.

What a bad day I had.

Computer lover since 1992.
Love retro-computing, retro-gaming, high-end systems and all about computer-tech.
Love beer, too.

Reply 544 of 574, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What?!! No 🤣.

Did you all see the videos on page 13? Took me a while to convince them to upload:

Don’t miss the Video:

Here are some vids

https://youtu.be/n_ArvBGrD9w

https://youtu.be/pCfdQQtXNF4

https://youtu.be/8__sqFNnpRA

https://youtu.be/ujlXTQWa7R4

https://youtu.be/hDfWu2-epp0

https://youtube.com/shorts/09nsC7tC2-U?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/sfq7EXQe2zI?feature=share

https://youtu.be/xdtEhC8yTTQ

And another:

https://youtu.be/5Aw2U_BZnSk

Here is a video version of the guide. Thanks Bloodem!

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 545 of 574, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just use 30% hydrochloric acid (HCl).

your avatar explains everything 😁

It eats aluminium like a charm. It attacks tin and lead, too, so don't put the whole chip into the acid. A few drops on the heat spreader, wait, wash away, repeat.

so it will eat heat spreader and all the pins/components on top of cpu 😀

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 546 of 574, by drosse1meyer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
biessea wrote on 2022-12-13, 14:22:
All of us have Hydrochloric acid at home, yeah. […]
Show full quote

All of us have Hydrochloric acid at home, yeah.

I am yet angry about my poor amd k6-2+ gone in heaven.

Can't wait to k6-3+ to arrive then and install it and make my Windows 98SE system run again.

What a bad day I had.

it will be okay man. we all make mistakes

P1: Packard Bell - 233 MMX, Voodoo1, 64 MB, ALS100+
P2-V2: Dell Dimension - 400 Mhz, Voodoo2, 256 MB
P!!! Custom: 1 Ghz, GeForce2 Pro/64MB, 384 MB

Reply 547 of 574, by ph4nt0m

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2022-12-13, 21:08:

Just use 30% hydrochloric acid (HCl).

your avatar explains everything 😁

Always looking for new ways around, no matter easy or hard 😀

rasz_pl wrote on 2022-12-13, 21:08:

It eats aluminium like a charm. It attacks tin and lead, too, so don't put the whole chip into the acid. A few drops on the heat spreader, wait, wash away, repeat.

so it will eat heat spreader and all the pins/components on top of cpu 😀

There are just SMD capacitors which are replaceable in the worst case. In reality, however, there is just some stain to wipe on the soldering. They are ceramic with nickel plating, and nickel reacts very slowly to 30% HCl without heating due to surface passivation. In fact, you can drop the caps straight into the acid and nothing noticeable will happen overnight.

My Active Sales on CPU-World

Reply 548 of 574, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Dudes, do not use acid. That’s crazy. Also, you need the heat spreader. The core is waaaay too delicate.

Last edited by Sphere478 on 2022-12-14, 17:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 549 of 574, by drosse1meyer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-12-14, 16:10:

Dudes, do not use acid. That’s crazy. Also, you need the heat spreader. The core is waaaay to delicate.

personally, i use a 12 gauge shotgun to remove IHS. its super easy. /s

P1: Packard Bell - 233 MMX, Voodoo1, 64 MB, ALS100+
P2-V2: Dell Dimension - 400 Mhz, Voodoo2, 256 MB
P!!! Custom: 1 Ghz, GeForce2 Pro/64MB, 384 MB

Reply 551 of 574, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Re: Confused about CPU Speed, Multiplyer and Cache K6 2/2+/3+

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 552 of 574, by lawyerpepper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just bought a three pack of these , so I’ll probably have to try modding one once I get a K6-2+ build stable. I have extremely little soldering experience, so this will give me incentive to learn.

Reply 553 of 574, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Advise practicing on something else. Get help with this one so you don’t mess it up, if you think you aren’t up to it. 😀

Read guide on page 13 and watch the vids.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 555 of 574, by lawyerpepper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2023-02-17, 06:40:

Advise practicing on something else. Get help with this one so you don’t mess it up, if you think you aren’t up to it. 😀

Read guide on page 13 and watch the vids.

Oh yeah - there will be practice first! OTOH, having someone else do it would spoil the fun, and it’s not as if it’s a Voodoo or something else rare and expensive. I’ve got a few things they should be recapped anyway, so I’ll just start with really basis soldering/unsoldering junk, move on to reasonably sized capacitors, and tackle the CPU once I’m confident.

I followed the Cyrix path back in the 90s, so this will be my first time using a K6. I’ll be taking some time to get the basic build solid before messing with the chip.

Reply 556 of 574, by asdf53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Model: AMD-K6-2E+/350AUZ
Success: No

There was already one failed attempt for this model posted here. But I decided to try it anyway, mine ran stable at 550 MHz and almost stable at 600, so I thought it might be good enough. Sadly no success, black screen at boot, even at 300 MHz.

Delidding the CPU was still useful as I also wanted to replace the thermal compound (mine didn't have anything on it - it was just bare metal on metal), and it definitely helped with stability. Before it would boot at 600 MHz 2.1v, but insta-crashed in any game. Now it is completely stable, running prime95 for an hour with no errors so far. A bigger heatsink and fan are a must, though.

Reply 557 of 574, by asdf53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

And this is how my CPU looked after taking the lid off.

I found it very difficult to remove, took me 15 minutes to cut through the corners, then another ten to pop off the lid. It wouldn't come off and I felt a lot of resistance, so I kept cutting into the corners, accidentally cut two of the resistors in half. I soon realized that the die is also glued to the heatspreader, that is why it's so difficult to pop off.

When I finally managed to remove it, it took a chunk of the die with it (visible on the left side). I was 99% sure that I had killed the CPU, but it still works!

To glue the heatspreader back on, I made a thick paste of soldering rosin and isopropyl alcohol, painted it on the remaining glue pads and pressed it together.

Attachments

• dl1.jpg
    Filename
    dl1.jpg
    File size
    689.14 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by asdf53 on 2023-05-16, 04:46. Edited 3 times in total.