Common searches

Bought this (Modern) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 1780 of 2072, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Received this bit recently, can't remember the last time I bought hardware on release, maybe the Raspberry Pi 1...

Visionfive2.jpg
Filename
Visionfive2.jpg
File size
221.41 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 1781 of 2072, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lolo799 wrote on 2023-01-09, 11:49:

Received this bit recently, can't remember the last time I bought hardware on release, maybe the Raspberry Pi 1...Visionfive2.jpg

I'll admit, I don't know anything about these kinds of devices, so I looked it up and it looks cool, but I was surprised that the HDMI port is considered "HDMI 2.0" on the Kickstarter page and yet the specs say it will only do 4k at 30Hz? One of those is totally incorrect since part of the HDMI 2.0 spec is 4k at 60Hz.

This is probably irrelevant for it's intended use, but still... when I saw all of the connectivity and decent specs I started to drum up ideas for such a device, but the limited (and misleading) HDMI specs kind of ruined it for me.

Again, I know nothing about these. What do you intend to use it for?

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 1782 of 2072, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got a socket 1150 m/b, sold as faulty.
Had two broken traces and as soon as I'll get a cpu it'll porbably work.
Bought to use as a spares donor, now a new mobo to add to my collection.

I'm waiting for a socket AM4, sold as dead but seller is describing what sounds like a BIOS issue.
He has a lot of other Intel mobos and can't test it (all sockets up to last gen), plus it's one of those itx with many features.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 1783 of 2072, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Anyone tried those crypto mining rig frames as testbenches? They've been getting quite cheap. Main concern is whether you can still install full height cards to motherboard easily. They seem a bit on the wide side for convenience, like 30% too big, but since it's all rail sections could maybe cut down easy.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 1785 of 2072, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-01-15, 21:55:

Anyone tried those crypto mining rig frames as testbenches? They've been getting quite cheap. Main concern is whether you can still install full height cards to motherboard easily. They seem a bit on the wide side for convenience, like 30% too big, but since it's all rail sections could maybe cut down easy.

I saw a few for just 50-60€, but they are really too wide to be pratical as a testing rig.
I use a mATX, and I am looking at itx to test graphics cards. Itx fits in a shoe box 😀 My 0.2$

Reply 1786 of 2072, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nexxen wrote on 2023-01-16, 14:02:

I saw a few for just 50-60€, but they are really too wide to be pratical as a testing rig.
I use a mATX, and I am looking at itx to test graphics cards. Itx fits in a shoe box 😀 My 0.2$

They're starting as low as $15 now, though probably need to spend $20-30 for something a touch less user hostile. Now I know there's mATX boards that would take a full on monster GPU and run it, though beware of length restrictions in mATX chassis, but if I stuck one in an ITX board and it seemed to be having issues, I'd have to test it in something else as well, so one and done tester ain't gonna be ITX for me. But anyway I'm talking about any and all testing, motherboard testing, which I'm not going to manage to do in a mATX or ITX chassis, and for card testing, does X play nice with Y and Z, that is not gonna happen on ITX, and may be problematic on mATX platforms. IF you're just thinking CPU and RAM tester or something, then yah, makes sense to get a midget.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 1787 of 2072, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How bad can low profile GTX1650s break? Local dude got one cheapish, says fans won't turn on. I have heard they are screamy crappy fans on those, so guess fan life wouldn't be very long. Direct replacement options don't seem as cheap as other cards. i.e. I can get a matched pair for like $40 all in with shipping, but bit more than I'd like to spend. Really wondering if the fans are a symptom of power regs or other failures, because I'm not above ziptie-ing a case fan on the thing just to use it.

Reply 1788 of 2072, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-01-20, 01:25:
Nexxen wrote on 2023-01-16, 14:02:

They're starting as low as $15 now, though probably need to spend $20-30 for something a touch less user hostile. Now I know there's mATX boards that would take a full on monster GPU and run it, though beware of length restrictions in mATX chassis, but if I stuck one in an ITX board and it seemed to be having issues, I'd have to test it in something else as well, so one and done tester ain't gonna be ITX for me. But anyway I'm talking about any and all testing, motherboard testing, which I'm not going to manage to do in a mATX or ITX chassis, and for card testing, does X play nice with Y and Z, that is not gonna happen on ITX, and may be problematic on mATX platforms. IF you're just thinking CPU and RAM tester or something, then yah, makes sense to get a midget.

Absolutely, I have a few PCIe cards as collecting them is a real hard task (poking Debs...) - I only test functionality (mainly for old stuff, like 1000 nvidia series).
Just a few days ago I counted 72 motherboards, I found some more in my basement (working). Itx is probably a psychological reaction.

I refuse to buy a graphics card in the middle of all that is happening: don't have the gold and don't have the PSU - 🤣
I don't regrow kidneys yet 😀

Some bad english before bed 😀

Reply 1789 of 2072, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am going to build a Nice home server to store all my stuff.
I need to clean up all my Single drive NAS stuff and consolidate.

I am going to build a Nice Server for about $400 not including hard drives which will be another $300
So in total about $700 for a Xeon server with 32gb ram and 48tb of hard drive space.

This should last me about 5 years before I fill it up.

hardware I am using :
Xeon E5-2667-v4 ( 8-core, 16-thread )
Motherboard x99 Machinist ( China brand )
32gb RAM
Fractal Define R5 computer case.
8 hard drives.
2 SSD’s
LSI 9211-8i P20 SAS HBA with Sata cables
Or
LSI 9311-9i SAS HBA it’s Sata cables

Total costs about $700

I am going to go by this guys recommendations but build a server and not a gaming computer.
Link:
https://youtu.be/ZC_ThjZuYT4

Attachments

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2023-12-14, 09:51. Edited 6 times in total.

Reply 1790 of 2072, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2023-01-20, 11:48:
I am going to build a Nice home server to store all my stuff. I need to clean up all my Single drive NAS stuff and consolidate. […]
Show full quote

I am going to build a Nice home server to store all my stuff.
I need to clean up all my Single drive NAS stuff and consolidate.

I am going to build a Nice Server for about $400 not including hard drives which will be another $200
So in total about $600 for a Xeon server with 32gb ram and 48tb of hard drive space.

This should last me about 5 years before I fill it up.

hardware I am using :
Xeon E5-2667-v4
Motherboard x99 Machinist ( China brand )
32gb RAM
Fractal Define R5 computer case.
8 hard drives.
2 SSD’s

Total costs about $600

I am going to go by this guys recommendations but build a server and not a gaming computer.
Link:
https://youtu.be/ZC_ThjZuYT4

I have the Fractal Define R7 XL ...the R5 is an excellent choice.

Reply 1791 of 2072, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not the most recent, but it's less than 15 years old, so in here it goes.

IMG_1333.jpg
Filename
IMG_1333.jpg
File size
1.55 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Got myself a Dualie 2010 Mac Pro 5,1 for $30. Even came with an RX 460 and 48GB.

IMG_1334.jpg
Filename
IMG_1334.jpg
File size
1.57 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
IMG_1335.jpg
Filename
IMG_1335.jpg
File size
1.28 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 1792 of 2072, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice, you can still do some stuff with that, vid editing, crunching stuff, grating cheese etc.

Reply 1793 of 2072, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-02-08, 04:44:

Nice, you can still do some stuff with that, vid editing, crunching stuff, grating cheese etc.

Yeah, I was thinking along the lines of using it as a storage server that can also do things for now, at least until I can figure out something more useful. Keeping Mojave on it at least.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 1794 of 2072, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got a Lenovo IdeaPad S145-15IWL for $19.99 at a thrift store that didn't come with the right charger, but it looks and feels like it's brand new. It has okay specs, minus the storage drive: 500GB SATA HDD. Runs on a Pentium Gold 5405U and 4GB DDR4. It'll get a RAM upgrade and better storage so it'll be faster, yet it's Windows 11 ready. Ironic, but it's an alright laptop. Not bad for a laptop from 2019.

The trackpad has a bit of wear, though, but it works fine.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 1795 of 2072, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good score for that cheap, will probably be a model you can find parts for as they wear out. Heard rumors that Lenovo been whitelisting SSD now though as well as wifi, cell modems etc. so hope that goes smooth.

Reply 1796 of 2072, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wish I could say the same with the G50-45. I have a Wireless-AX card I installed and completely blacklisted and the only way to fix it is to hack the BIOS to allow it, which is too many steps and I don't have the proper tools for it.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 1797 of 2072, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bought today a HP Elitedesk 800 G5 mini to learn on windows 11 Pro properly due to increasing frequency of windows 11 computers to be fixed at my work. Well equipped for 430 Canadian dollars shipping included. i5-9500 , is 65W version, this one has copper heatsink with grille holes in top cover, 16GB memory, 1TB Hard drive. Does not say about power supply, not clear in the description, yet but fortunately I have HP power supply bricks if true.

Later on, replace hard drive for NVME M.2 1TB SSD. This mini does have two spaces for NVME SSDs.

This mini G5 can take i9-9900, 65w 8 cores CPU, 16MB cache and memory up to 64GB, very decent.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 1798 of 2072, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bought a 8Tb Sabrent Rocket drive, 7100/6600 speeds, wouldn't normally buy a NVME this big but it for sure made a hell of a difference, just from a data access speed view it was worth it. Now I'm sitting here wondering if I can justify the cost of getting one for my personal PC 😁

Gaming is a perfectly good reason for a fast huge NVME . .right. (Actually might get a 2Tb one for the PS5, its main drive is such a paltry size ...)

Reply 1799 of 2072, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TrashPanda wrote on 2023-02-25, 23:12:

Bought a 8Tb Sabrent Rocket drive, 7100/6600 speeds, wouldn't normally buy a NVME this big but it for sure made a hell of a difference, just from a data access speed view it was worth it. Now I'm sitting here wondering if I can justify the cost of getting one for my personal PC 😁

Gaming is a perfectly good reason for a fast huge NVME . .right. (Actually might get a 2Tb one for the PS5, its main drive is such a paltry size ...)

I haven't had a reason to go Gen4\Gen5 NVMe yet, but I have to say that it has been SO nice since I moved to all solid state in my personal system. I've had an SSD+HDD setup since 2010, but last year I moved to all solid state, and then at some point one of my drives started having errors (a known problem with a certain batch of Samsung 870 EVO drives) so I used that as an excuse to swap some drives around and ended up with a 1TB SK Hynix P31 for my OS + games and a 2TB refurbished Samsung 970 EVO Plus for data.

I never have my system freeze while it waits for a drive to spin up. Everything is just "there".

Now, all my hard drives are just being used as redundant backups. I loaded one up with absolutely everything and gave it to a relative for safe keeping, so even if the data isn't absolutely current, I have one good offsite + offline backup of 25 years worth of my computing history. Hard drives still have a use. 😁

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.