User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pentiumspeed wrote on 2023-02-23, 20:47:
Modified two Dallas DS1397 modules. […]
Show full quote

Modified two Dallas DS1397 modules.

In 15 minutes I made a spacer tool made of thick cardboard from a drill package card and took old 32 pin eeprom and beat over the pins to keep that cardboard in place and at same time allow Dallas module fit over it and allow me to clamp both together in a vise without damaging the dallas pins.

Just a fine tooth hacksaw and small sharpened screwdriver and a screwdriver as a hammer. Sawed four slots then chipped out plastic to expose the pins and broke open internal connection for negative side battery to complete modifications. All I do is to finish is solder battery holders to them. I rechecked and marked positive by scratching a plus sign.

Just that, I don't like make big mess with dremel.

Cheers,

I've read it twice and can't follow 🙁 Photos would be so helpful..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 23821 of 27186, by tomcattech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm doing a deep dive clean on an old Compaq\HP Evo D510 Small Form Factor PC.

Specifically I'm wondering why on gods green earth would they ever use paper "air guides"?

Attachments

• cooler.jpg
    Filename
    cooler.jpg
    File size
    5.63 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 23822 of 27186, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Stuff like that I've seen before was more like vinyl than paper.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 23823 of 27186, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tomcattech wrote on 2023-02-25, 04:30:

I'm doing a deep dive clean on an old Compaq\HP Evo D510 Small Form Factor PC.

Specifically I'm wondering why on gods green earth would they ever use paper "air guides"?

Price

Found time to play with my new Aoyue 852 hot air station today. First practiced a bit with an old SMD project I totally messed up with a regular soldering iron. After deciding I'd figured out how to solder something successfully, I got out my real project.

Before:

16773391968472.jpg
Filename
16773391968472.jpg
File size
213.5 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

After:

16773391351920.jpg
Filename
16773391351920.jpg
File size
209.69 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Not been able to test yet, need to flash the card from Philips to regular GUS PnP first and figure out drivers (which seem to require installing Win3.11 first...)

Reply 23825 of 27186, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kahenraz wrote on 2023-02-25, 20:29:

That's interesting. I wasn't able to attach a CMOS socket with paste and hot air without melting it. I had to use my iron. Good job if you managed to do it successfully.

I used a fairly narrow nozzle at 390C, waving it around from quite a distance, combined with low-temperature SMD soldering paste. Some edges did get a bit crispy, but it looks like bits near the connectors aren't deformed. Look forward to updating as soon as I have time for testing.

Reply 23826 of 27186, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The solder paste I used at the time was very old, not a low temperature solder, and I was using a large nozzle. I had many factors working against me. It's great to see some success with this. I'll consider trying again in the future.

I use a cheap AliExpress hot air station, as I don't feel that I require anything special for the kind of work that I do. What kind of station are you using?

Reply 23827 of 27186, by JustJulião

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Made some improvements to my compact PowerVR machine
- changed from a SATA HDD to an SD card adapter with a round and short IDE cable for decent airflow
- Slot that was used for the SATA controller now hosts a ATi Rage Pro LT, more suitable for PowerVR gaming than the integrated i752 (the ATi card is both faster and more compatible as a primary card)

In the future I'll change the 6x2.5cm front fan since it's what cools the Matrox M3D on the other side of the case. I'll opt for Noctua or PAPST.
I also need a Molex to 4 pints floppy adapter to make my floppy reader back.

powervr machine.jpg
Filename
powervr machine.jpg
File size
92.71 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 23828 of 27186, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote on 2023-02-25, 20:37:
Kahenraz wrote on 2023-02-25, 20:29:

That's interesting. I wasn't able to attach a CMOS socket with paste and hot air without melting it. I had to use my iron. Good job if you managed to do it successfully.

I used a fairly narrow nozzle at 390C, waving it around from quite a distance, combined with low-temperature SMD soldering paste. Some edges did get a bit crispy, but it looks like bits near the connectors aren't deformed. Look forward to updating as soon as I have time for testing.

The low temp solder paste likely made the difference there, 390c will melt pretty much anything that's plastic.
With my 816DA hot air station I've found that ~250C is the upper limit for removing / replacing plastic-based connectors, so I use high air flow and that seems to work for me with leaded solder items. For lead-free it'd need heating from the back of the board instead.
Of course I haven't calibrated this thing in a few months and my temp probe isn't that accurate so it's probably somewhere around 240C to 265C 😀

Reply 23829 of 27186, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Thermalwrong wrote on 2023-02-26, 14:52:
[...] […]
Show full quote

[...]

The low temp solder paste likely made the difference there, 390c will melt pretty much anything that's plastic.
With my 816DA hot air station I've found that ~250C is the upper limit for removing / replacing plastic-based connectors, so I use high air flow and that seems to work for me with leaded solder items. For lead-free it'd need heating from the back of the board instead.
Of course I haven't calibrated this thing in a few months and my temp probe isn't that accurate so it's probably somewhere around 240C to 265C 😀

Tnx. Still very much a hot air beginner - will try this next time.

Reply 23830 of 27186, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On a 86box VM, i tried out installation of Windows 95 D 1.6. Looks great! No massive amount of updates needed after installation of the OS.
Gonna be my go-to approach from now on.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 23831 of 27186, by moog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just got back from an anime convention. I was organizing a retro gaming zone together with 2 other hardware owners. We've set up like... 11 machines (consoles, computers) for people to play with. Was fun, was a lot of work.

Audigy 2 ZS in FreeDOS
LinLin adapter documentation
+ various capacitor list threads

Reply 23832 of 27186, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had a 'TÜV sagt nein' moment. Just for testing purposes of course.

Attachments

• DSC_2938.JPG
    Filename
    DSC_2938.JPG
    File size
    998.92 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 23835 of 27186, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't collect AT systems and had no idea that it runs live power up to that switch. I only discovered this after someone mentioned it elsewhere on this forum sometime in the past few months; and I've been collecting for years!

That would make me real nervous, having hot and neutral neutral being to precarious somewhere inside of the case. I know it's already like this inside of a power supply, but I don't go poking around inside those very often. I wonder if a cheap case and a bad wire job could accidentally set the whole chassis live.

Reply 23836 of 27186, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's where proper grounding comes in, an earth leakage circuit breaker, (the green/yellow wire).
But without grounding, hopefully, somewhere a fuse (box) should trigger.

Last edited by PD2JK on 2023-02-28, 19:12. Edited 1 time in total.

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 23837 of 27186, by andrea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kahenraz wrote on 2023-02-28, 17:11:

I don't collect AT systems and had no idea that it runs live power up to that switch. I only discovered this after someone mentioned it elsewhere on this forum sometime in the past few months; and I've been collecting for years!

That would make me real nervous, having hot and neutral neutral being to precarious somewhere inside of the case. I know it's already like this inside of a power supply, but I don't go poking around inside those very often. I wonder if a cheap case and a bad wire job could accidentally set the whole chassis live.

If you had leakage to ground it would trip the differential breaker. And even if the computer itself isn't connected to protective earth (say, for example, if you use a deathdapter or ram a Schuko plug into an italian "bipasso" socket) it often could ground through the connected devices. The only way it could shock you is if the switch is miswired AND the whole setup lacks PE.

Reply 23838 of 27186, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wow, been on a bit of an adventure digging in a neglected stack, tight spot in basement, so just have to take a quick look at stuff and put it back or I block myself in. It's teasing me as much as you guys, but I wanna know what I can arrange to make room for ...

Micron ClientPro MTA ex USAF, HX chipset Virge DX onboard and a yamaha OPL chip, nice high end pent box.. Compaq deskpro, also containing a Virge DX compaq edition, no sound though boo, slot load CD is a little interesting, 233MMX, (Series 3546) be top end MMX with a graphics transplant and you know, some noise makey bits. Empty horizontal box, thought it lost the front but I stuck it inside, "Primax Panther III" it used to be, can't remember if I got it empty or with something in it.

Mid tower AT, did I put this one together? Seems too dusty, like I got it in like this and didn't do much. P5F76, CT1600, Bali32 PCI, yiss, now we're finding the good stuff.

AEG Olympia Desktop AT case, what the heck was this "Model D212" whatever that was, don't look like one any more. Crack it and what do we have, M919 v 3.2? or something real close.... PODP5V... ATI Mach64 VLB 109-30100-00, again "oddly" dusty, like I don't remember running a POD for more than testing in the past and it has a little too much in the sink like it was ran a few months at least. Is this THE POD I thought I had or another?? IDK.

Now we have an AT clone desktop case, styled like a 5170 but for baby AT. It's by a region builder "CAD/CAM Center" wooo... a CAD box, crack it, devoid of HDD so won't know what they ran 5.25 drive, tape controller with hardware compression and a Porsche... 86c911, Diamond Stealth VRAM (ISA) on an Asus 486-ISA board, 486dx33, think this was a few thousand bucks worth in 1992. I/O card didn't look too special, normal ISA looking, didn't clock the P/N.

Is it seeming like there's some weird stuff in this pile to you? Well I was trying to get to the prince of weird..

Patriot Computer Company (That one, the one most famous for going bankrupt while selling hotwheels/barbie machines due to their PSU supplier screwing them over) Patriot Personal model SL4100 ... mine is missing 5.25 drives/covers, front of floppy and turbo switch cap, might have been a freebie/pickup not sure. Contains an NLX style board supplied by IBM, Cyrix Fasmath visible, onboard CPU under HSF, empty socket 3, this coulllld be, a clock tripled IBM blue lightning! 256kb cache, 16MB RAM installed, GL5428 onboard but someone put a trident 8900C in it??? hmmm might be that there's only 512MB onboard, or onboard needs attention, ISA card is 1MB.
Anyhoo, can't see any difference to this one https://twitter.com/dougberner/status/1374543210626740224 but that dude thinks he has a normal/full DX4-100 which I don't think it is. But apparently the highlight for Xmas 94 in Canada was these beasties being $1000 CDN in the run up. I thought my ISA riser was an odd one because it leans in a bit, but I see his is the same. Looks like it maybe had a VLB riser option too. Maybe PS/1 stuff fits.

edit: probably more like LPX form factor, I never did get all the whackass ones straight.

editII: Hah yeah it was just early this month I found my "original" P5F76 Re: What retro activity did you get up to today? that one must have come in that case. It's either one offs or stuff starts breeding on me.

editIII: some vague memories are creeping back about that AEG Olympia case PODP M919 ... Some 20+ years ago, was during a period of being hard to find computer stuff in the area, but also, 486 class were "done" and value was somewhere between free and $100 realistically, kinda where P4 to Core2 is now.... I think this is the system I was at a yard sale, and he started high and kept saying "but it's a Pentium" and I kept saying it was 90% 486, and I think I ended up paying $40 or $50 for it, because I did recognise that the Mach64 was higher end and wanted one, but I think I still felt like I paid a bit much. The irony of this is that I think it was shortly after this I hit some kind of strike/seam/run of VX and HX pentium boards and forgot about this, with faster hardware to play with/build up and pass around the fam.

Last edited by BitWrangler on 2023-03-02, 05:33. Edited 1 time in total.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 23839 of 27186, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-02-28, 22:20:

Patriot Computer Company (That one, the one most famous for going bankrupt while selling hotwheels/barbie machines due to their PSU supplier screwing them over) Patriot Personal model SL4100 ... mine is missing 5.25 drives/covers, front of floppy and turbo switch cap, might have been a freebie/pickup not sure. Contains an NLX style board supplied by IBM, Cyrix Fasmath visible, onboard CPU under HSF, empty socket 3, this coulllld be, a clock tripled IBM blue lightning! 256kb cache, 16MB RAM installed, GL5428 onboard but someone put a trident 8900C in it??? hmmm might be that there's only 512MB onboard, or onboard needs attention, ISA card is 1MB.
Anyhoo, can't see any difference to this one https://twitter.com/dougberner/status/1374543210626740224 but that dude thinks he has a normal/full DX4-100 which I don't think it is. But apparently the highlight for Xmas 94 in Canada was these beasties being $1000 CDN in the run up. I thought my ISA riser was an odd one because it leans in a bit, but I see his is the same. Looks like it maybe had a VLB riser option too. Maybe PS/1 stuff fits.

My good friend got a Patriot computer for Christmas '94. I can't remember the exact price paid, but definitely under $1000 for a setup that included a 14" "MegaImage" monitor.
It was a 50MHz Leopard/Opal LX board with Trident 9000i and winbond I/O. It was housed in a nice Enlight minitower case. Very good value for the money! I didn't know that Patriot had better equipped systems with the IBM BL chips, nor that they had anything to do with those crappy hotwheels PCs. Do you have any links to the story about their PSU supplier? I'm sure even if it hadn't been that, they would have folded anyway like everybody else.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium