VOGONS

Bad socket 370 CPU?

Topic actions

First post, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought a nice slot 370 PC last week. It came with a Pentium III 800, 256MB 133Mhz RAM and the ASUS CUSL2-M motherboard which is quite feature-rich.

Originally it was sold as a Pentium III 400 so I ordered a Pentium III 1Ghz off eBay. It's only when I decided to test the system and cleaned the old dried thermal paste off the CPU that I noticed it was in fact a 800Mhz.

Still, since I ordered a 1Ghz one I might as well use it but while I waited for it to arrive I properly set up Windows 98 SE with a Voodoo 3 3000, the original Sound Blaster Audigy and a USB 2.0 hub. Everything worked perfectly, very stable etc.

So then the new CPU arrived - I carefully straightened a few slightly bent pins, replaced the old CPU with the new one, added new thermal paste, added the heat sink, booted up the PC and all went well until it gets into Windows 98 and POOF the entire system shuts down.

I reboot, go into safe mode - it works fine. I reboot again - exact same thing!

I go into BIOS, check CPU temps - 33°C - don't see anything wrong. CPU settings are autoset by the BIOS to 133Mhz but it all looks correct to me.

So, what could be going on here? Does anyone have experience with Windows 98 just shutting down when you upgrade the CPU? I'm sure if I put back the old CPU it would work again but I paid €30 for this CPU so either it's faulty and I need to return it, or ... is something else going on ? Any help is appreciated!

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB
IBM Aptiva 486SX33 - 8MB - 2GB CF - SB16
IBM PC350 P233MMX - 64MB - 32GB SSD - AWE64 - Voodoo2
PIII600 - 320MB - 480GB SSD - SB Live! - GF4 Ti 4200
i5-2500k - 3GB - SB Audigy 2 - HD 4870

Reply 1 of 49, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

98 is a picky bitch and can do this with any hardware changes, that said are you sure the CPU is working ? you may have a bad CPU.

Did you load BIOS defaults ?
Check to make sure you are on the latest version of the BIOS ?
Check the Dip Switches to make sure they are set correctly for the 1Ghz CPU ?

You may have to do a Fresh install of 98 to see if that fixes it ..98 never did like hardware being swapped around.

Reply 2 of 49, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2023-03-07, 13:58:
98 is a picky bitch and can do this with any hardware changes, that said are you sure the CPU is working ? you may have a bad CP […]
Show full quote

98 is a picky bitch and can do this with any hardware changes, that said are you sure the CPU is working ? you may have a bad CPU.

You may have to do a Fresh install of 98 to see if that fixes it ..98 never did like hardware being swapped around.

The motherboard has "dipswitchless mode" which means I can set up everything in the BIOS. The BIOS also auto detects and configures everything correctly as far as I can see. It's a pretty darn good motherboard to be honest - it was the main reason I bought the PC.

For BIOS update: I prefer NOT to update an old BIOS unless I've ruled out everything else. According to the manual and other sites, the BIOS does not need an update to accept the CPU - the BIOS itself is from late 2000 so the 1Ghz CPU was already released by then.

I wonder if there isn't a tool that lets me test the CPU without having to spend several hours reinstalling Windows 98.

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB

Reply 3 of 49, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
red_avatar wrote on 2023-03-07, 14:25:
The motherboard has "dipswitchless mode" which means I can set up everything in the BIOS. The BIOS also auto detects and configu […]
Show full quote
TrashPanda wrote on 2023-03-07, 13:58:
98 is a picky bitch and can do this with any hardware changes, that said are you sure the CPU is working ? you may have a bad CP […]
Show full quote

The motherboard has "dipswitchless mode" which means I can set up everything in the BIOS. The BIOS also auto detects and configures everything correctly as far as I can see. It's a pretty darn good motherboard to be honest - it was the main reason I bought the PC.

For BIOS update: I prefer NOT to update an old BIOS unless I've ruled out everything else. According to the manual and other sites, the BIOS does not need an update to accept the CPU - the BIOS itself is from late 2000 so the 1Ghz CPU was already released by then.

I wonder if there isn't a tool that lets me test the CPU without having to spend several hours reinstalling Windows 98.

You have pretty much ruled out the board side fo things so that just leaves the CPU or 98 as the culprit and my intuition leans heavily on 98 just being a prick about it.

Reply 5 of 49, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-03-07, 14:33:

try with 100mhz fsb, try another 133 fsb cpu

My other 800mhz CPU had almost the exact same settings except for a different multiplier (6x instead of 7.5) - it worked perfectly.

I'll just reinstall Windows 98 and see where that gets me.

Honestly, Windows 9X is always such a pain in the ass - it's so picky and incredibly easy to screw things up. I already had to reinstall Windows 98 because for some reason Direct X 8.1 could not be properly installed and nothing I did fixed the problem.

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB

Reply 6 of 49, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I never experienced win98 needing a reinstall for cpu change, this is especially unlikely when changing for same vendor/family cpu.
One thing that comes to mind is badly adhering heatsink. Iv seen few 370 fitted the other way around back in the day 😀 with socket A that resulted in fired CPU, freezes with Intel. Might be emergency thermal shutdown.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 7 of 49, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-03-07, 16:41:

I never experienced win98 needing a reinstall for cpu change, this is especially unlikely when changing for same vendor/family cpu.
One thing that comes to mind is badly adhering heatsink. Iv seen few 370 fitted the other way around back in the day 😀 with socket A that resulted in fired CPU, freezes with Intel. Might be emergency thermal shutdown.

In BIOS it shows 33°C which is very low. Unless it spikes while running Windows it's very unlikely. In Windows safe mode, it doesn't heat up either.

I'll still try a reinstall of Windows 98. I have another 120GB SSD anyway. I have ordered the exact same CPU (same model number) just in case for €22 and it should arrive in a few days. If that one works, I can ask for a refund. For all I know, someone had their OC fun and fried the CPU ...

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB

Reply 8 of 49, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
red_avatar wrote on 2023-03-07, 16:57:
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-03-07, 16:41:

In BIOS it shows 33°C which is very low. Unless it spikes while running Windows it's very unlikely. In Windows safe mode, it doesn't heat up either.

I'll still try a reinstall of Windows 98. I have another 120GB SSD anyway. I have ordered the exact same CPU (same model number) just in case for €22 and it should arrive in a few days. If that one works, I can ask for a refund. For all I know, someone had their OC fun and fried the CPU ...

Yikes don't trust the BIOS thermal sensor to be accurate, especially on boards as old as these. Take it with a pinch of salt it could be close but just as likely its not, gently touch the CPU while its running, if its hitting thermal overload you'll know pretty fast.

Reply 9 of 49, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't think Slot1 can read the thermal sensor on Pentium III CPUs? (Edit: I was confused by 'slot 370' in the OP. Was thinking this was referring to a Slocket.)

Also is an aging VRM possibly the culprit?

Last edited by Doornkaat on 2023-03-07, 22:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10 of 49, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Most likely the PSU or motherboard capacitors.

You can also try reseating the CPU. Could be that the pins are oxidized and need a couple clamping/unclamping cycles to get a good connection.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 11 of 49, by ptr1ck

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Most likely the faster CPU is stressing the system more than it can handle due to age. When you go into Windows, the stress is there unlike when in BIOS. I'm with cyclone3d on it being some old caps which may not be leaking but just bad. There's no way Windows 98 has an issue with that processor swap.

"ITXBOX" SFF-Win11
KT133A-NV28-V2 SLI-DOS/WinME

Reply 12 of 49, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK I did a bunch of testing:

- reinstalling Windows 98: no difference
- resetting BIOS: no difference

Then I saw an error message in the BIOS: BIOS update date incorrect. CPUID=0000068A

I googled this and apparently it means the BIOS doesn't recognise the CPU code so I decided to flash it to the final version, reset to default settings, reconfigured everything and ... Windows 98 suddenly booted fine.

So I installed 3DMark2001 SE because I wanted to compare benchmarks with my old 800Mhz and wanted to do some OCing (I have a high end fan on the heatsink that is way better than the original fan - the CPU never goes above 34°C).

About half-way through the benchmark ... POOF ... system shuts down again.

The thing is, I can't even restart the system until I cut off the power and hold the power button to drain the remaining power. It's definitely NOT a software issue. I figure someone probably had their fun OCing this CPU and now it's unreliable. I'll ask for a refund. The second one is on the way anyway.

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB

Reply 13 of 49, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2023-03-07, 19:53:

Most likely the PSU or motherboard capacitors.

You can also try reseating the CPU. Could be that the pins are oxidized and need a couple clamping/unclamping cycles to get a good connection.

These CPUs still had gold plated pins to prevent oxidization. You might be right but the cooler is tricky to remove and put back on so I'm not very keen on repeating this process a dozen times. The motherboard is perfectly fine - it has really high quality caps which is why I bought it in the first place (that and because it was a high end mobo at the time so has lots of bells & wistles).

The PSU it's definitely not - it's a modern modular one and the voltages are extremely stable not to mention that it's WAY overkill for this PC. Since the PC worked perfectly before, there's nothing to point towards the PSU. Pentium IIIs were pretty efficient CPUs which is why you can OC them so easily.

Last edited by red_avatar on 2023-03-08, 08:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB

Reply 15 of 49, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
red_avatar wrote on 2023-03-07, 21:01:

About half-way through the benchmark ... POOF ... system shuts down again.

did you touch the cpu immediately after? not the radiator but cpu/socket

The thing is, I can't even restart the system until I cut off the power and hold the power button to drain the remaining power.

still sounds like thermal shutdown

I figure someone probably had their fun OCing this CPU and now it's unreliable. I'll ask for a refund. The second one is on the way anyway.

Have you _ever_ seen such mythical processor? and I mean saw and not read about it on forums.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 17 of 49, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Your cpu will be running off the 5v rail from the PSU. I'm amazed no one has yet mentioned that modern PSU's do not provide many Amps on the 5v rail as
everything after P4 and Athlon 64 uses the 12v rail.

Can You please give us the PSU 5v Amps rating? You could try dropping the fsb to 66mhz to underclock the cpu and see if this makes a difference.
I remember back around 2004 trying a Radeon 9800xt in my old AMD Duron setup, it wouldn't boot. Years later with a more powerful power supply and
no probs whatsoever.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 18 of 49, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Imperious wrote on 2023-03-08, 00:24:
Your cpu will be running off the 5v rail from the PSU. I'm amazed no one has yet mentioned that modern PSU's do not provide many […]
Show full quote

Your cpu will be running off the 5v rail from the PSU. I'm amazed no one has yet mentioned that modern PSU's do not provide many Amps on the 5v rail as
everything after P4 and Athlon 64 uses the 12v rail.

Can You please give us the PSU 5v Amps rating? You could try dropping the fsb to 66mhz to underclock the cpu and see if this makes a difference.
I remember back around 2004 trying a Radeon 9800xt in my old AMD Duron setup, it wouldn't boot. Years later with a more powerful power supply and
no probs whatsoever.

The wattage difference between a 800Mhz P3 and a 1Ghz P3 isn't nearly enough to cause that issue, the system runs perfectly with the 800Mhz so the chances of it being 5v issues is highly unlikely. This has all the hallmarks of thermal overload and the CPU is shutting down to protect itself.

Pentium 3 socket 370 systems also don't have the PSU issues that plagued the early Athlon setups, their wattage requirements are really no different than what a Pentium II would require, heck you could run a P3 setup off a 350watt PSU even with a weak 5v rail ~18-20 Amps. (The GPU might not like it but the core setup wouldn't care a bit)

Reply 19 of 49, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I still think it is the PSU or capacitors on the motherboard.

Only way I see it being thermal shutdown is if the heatsink isn't on the CPU flatly.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK