VOGONS

Reply 40 of 41, by JustJulião

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dr.zeissler wrote on 2023-03-04, 16:37:

https://www.prad.de/technische-daten/monitor- … t/hyundai-l70s/
https://www.prad.de/technische-daten/monitor- … cusync-lcd71vm/

Not a big difference, but 71vm can do 15/24/31 khz and 50hz native. Please test this on your L70s.

I've never tried to do that, what's the easiest way to output 15/24/31 khz from my video card and test it ? Any kind of software ?

Reply 41 of 41, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've decided to put my own recommendation to the test. So I've bought cheap 1990SXi monitor.

NEC MultiSync LCD1990SXi review

Specs:
1280x1024
600:1 contrast ratio
9ms GtG, 18ms full transition
DVI-D, DVI-I and VGA ports

Pros:
- S-IPS, so good viewing angles are expected. Probably best you can get for 5:4 format, before it became obsolete.
- True 8-bit panel, with good color gamut, around 95% of sRGB.
- Can do 75Hz without frame skipping, yay! Maybe even more, but I've not tested overclocking yet. 50Hz output is also possible, but with somewhat noticeable jittering, despite panel stating to work at 50.
- Very decent monitor stand, all adjustments are supported and stand itself can be rotated on a table without lifting.
- Apparently, response time in datasheet is stated without overdrive. But you also can enable overdrive in advanced menu and noticeably improve it. Not on par with modern displays, but far from smearing nightmare of early 2000s.
- Scaling capabilities are superb. Not only it can stretch picture any way you want, but you also can remove letterboxing from video signal itself*. See it in action here on widescreen WUXi model. Scaler is identical between all 90[insert letter]Xi models.
- Interpolation, obviously, does not include integer-scaling, but good enough to my taste. Sharpness is also adjustable. 320x200 (720x400) and 640x480 look fine.
- Hardware calibration.
- Adjustable gamma level (0.5-4.0) and 12-bit internal LUT (banding begone!).
- Black level adjustment, i.e. you can fix infamous S3 elevated black levels bug without touching video card BIOS.
- ColorComp feature to improve color tint across the screen. 5 levels, depending on how much you want to sacrifice screen brightness.
- 2 input ports capable of receiving analog signal. So no hassle with Voodoo 1-2 cables - just connect it directly.

Cons:
- Heavy (9kg with a stand) and somewhat bulky.
- Contrast and black level are not strong points of regular IPS panels, especially on old panels. Still, it should be better than old 15-17inch panels and CRT under normal environment (i.e. not mother's basement) at least.
- Just like any LCD without local dimming feature, screen can be "cloudy" on black and very dark tones, due to manufacturing defects. Some might be decent, some might be quite bad. IPS don't have deep blacks, so it's more noticeable here.
- Moderately strong purple-ish IPS** glow under diagonal viewing angles (not an issue in well lit room). I've seen worse though.
- PWM adjustable backlight, i.e. not flicker free.
- Not very bright by modern standards and CCFL backlight won't be new (unless there's somewhere new old stock up for grabs), so you can expect brightness only around 200cd/m2.
- Very grainy matte coating.
- Input lag on slow-ish side of spectrum, because it's a professional display.
- 19-inch display, effectively 18-inch with forced 4:3 format. Won't replace 20-21 inch CRT.
- Probably harder to get in good condition?

I might add or edit something in that list later. But current info should be good enough to make a decision.

*Some old video cards, even from CRT era, may output letterboxed signal for some reason.
**Technically all LCD have glow, just on different levels. From best to worst - xVA > TN > PLS/IPS.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.