VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 48620 of 52723, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Found this PowerColor GeForce2 MX Pro PCI card for 30 bucks and since I don't think I have this PCI version I grabbed it, weirdly it comes with 3 SDR ram sticks no idea why but more SDR is nice to have.

Box Art.jpg
Filename
Box Art.jpg
File size
312.73 KiB
Views
File comment
Seller Photo
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I like the Box Art but I have no idea what Motorbikes have to do with GPUs.

GF2 MX400 PCI.jpg
Filename
GF2 MX400 PCI.jpg
File size
292.7 KiB
Views
File comment
Seller Photo
File license

Judging by the number of Vram ICs this should be the 128bit DDR version..(I could be wrong about the ram type, but I dont remember the MX400 in any other type)

Reply 48621 of 52723, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TrashPanda wrote on 2023-03-20, 03:51:

Box Art.jpg

While not strictly GPU related, I believe the artwork is cashing in on the hype around the much anticipated release of the computer oriented movie "Naked TRON" which was set to be released back then. For obvious reasons (not least of which was high cost of using early 2000s CG to replace all of the actors with weird shiny silver avatars after the public backlash that the initial movie trailer generated), the movie was cancelled, which is why few people remember it now. Most of the time it is confused with the equally controversial "Terminator: Naked T-1000 Motorbike Racing", which was also advertised and cancelled that same year.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 48622 of 52723, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2023-03-20, 09:19:

While not strictly GPU related, I believe the artwork is cashing in on the hype around the much anticipated release of the computer oriented movie "Naked TRON" which was set to be released back then. For obvious reasons (not least of which was high cost of using early 2000s CG to replace all of the actors with weird shiny silver avatars after the public backlash that the initial movie trailer generated), the movie was cancelled, which is why few people remember it now. Most of the time it is confused with the equally controversial "Terminator: Naked T-1000 Motorbike Racing", which was also advertised and cancelled that same year.

Naked TRON? 🤣

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msKI1T9i710

Reply 48623 of 52723, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

got myself a Gigabyte GA-7IXE4 , which is sweet having 2 ISA slots for my beloved turtle beach sound cards, Tropez+ and Tahiti, bot are loaded Tropez with 12mb of sample ram, and the Tahiti with the Rio daughter board + 4Mb of Sipp ram = Monterey

Attachments

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 48625 of 52723, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2023-03-20, 03:51:
Found this PowerColor GeForce2 MX Pro PCI card for 30 bucks and since I don't think I have this PCI version I grabbed it, weirdl […]
Show full quote

Found this PowerColor GeForce2 MX Pro PCI card for 30 bucks and since I don't think I have this PCI version I grabbed it, weirdly it comes with 3 SDR ram sticks no idea why but more SDR is nice to have.

Box Art.jpg

GF2 MX400 PCI.jpg

Judging by the number of Vram ICs this should be the 128bit DDR version..(I could be wrong about the ram type, but I dont remember the MX400 in any other type)

i like the bright arty box designs of the era, looks like a good buy to me - a versatile card

Reply 48626 of 52723, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2023-03-20, 21:13:

Do they work side by side?

Yes they do, different architectures, the Tropez+ needs IRQ 's + DMA like any other sound card, the Tahiti/Monterey uses Hurricane architecture and it is memory mapped, it has it's own-on board CPU 😉

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 48627 of 52723, by ediflorianUS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I want to order (save) Job-lot of around 700 cpu's from scrapper , but have little funds , don't know what to do.
I live in Estrn' Europe so I could ship around EU if need-bee(*and I can short-test sk4(maybe5)/7,skA,478,lga771/775/754/AM2/LGA1155 and most of older laptop stuff)
but should I invest or no in such a thing. I don't know... Any suggestions? The spring Macintosh failed , 2 mbp mb-s had oxidation probably from w/damages so not sure if it's fixable.

My 80486-S i66 Project

Reply 48628 of 52723, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ediflorianUS wrote on 2023-03-21, 08:03:

I want to order (save) Job-lot of around 700 cpu's from scrapper , but have little funds , don't know what to do. I live in Estrn' Europe so I could ship around EU if need-bee but should I invest or no in such a thing. I don't know... Any suggestions? The spring Macintosh failed , 2 mbp mb-s had oxidation probably from w/damages so not sure if it's fixable.

Look at the back of the CPUs first and see what condition they are in, I too grab job lots but only if the pins/pads/SMDs are in a good enough condition that they can be saved, 90% of the time the pins/pads/SMD components will be trashed on the CPU which renders them unsalvageable unless you have the skill and tools required for repairs. (If pads are damaged then even repairs wont work)

Usually I find that the scrappers have a good idea of what CPUs can be saved or are rare enough to be worth selling to collectors and will part them out separately and then throw all the junk "gold" CPUs into an even bigger lot for the gold recyclers.

Im at a point now that I will look hard at the job lots and only bother with them if there is a "rare/good" CPU in the lot that would pay for the entire lot itself, like I recently grabbed a junk/scrap lot that had two E8600 and a QX9650 in it, they still sell for a nice amount on the bay. All three were in a working state after a bit of Deoxit and cleaning and they paid for that entire lot which had other Core2 CPUs in it that I didn't yet have in the hoard.

IIRC there were only two CPUs in that lot of 21 that didn't work, they looked a bit burnt from being run too hot.

-Yup I have a thing for Core2 ..no idea why but I love that platform and the hoard will be worth a bit when the eventual "Retro" era hits socket 775.

Reply 48629 of 52723, by ediflorianUS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

here is a photo of the lot (not sure how real it is):

Attachments

• CPU lot 1.jpg
    Filename
    CPU lot 1.jpg
    File size
    65.45 KiB
    Views
    File license

My 80486-S i66 Project

Reply 48631 of 52723, by ediflorianUS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
LewisRaz wrote on 2023-03-19, 14:26:
Picked up this loot box for £20. […]
Show full quote

Picked up this loot box for £20.

Had a chance to look through it now and test a few bits. There is a lot of waste and quite a few broken Nvidia M64s (what a shame..)
However there is 2x brand new logitech H111 which sell for more than the £20 I paid so this is basically a free lot. Also a nice microphone that is £95 on amazon!

..But to retro tech:

There are 4x FSP power supplies with 27a on the 5v rail so will be very useful if working but I have no tested yet..

What I have tested is these 3 GPUs and all are working fine.

STB Systems RIVA 128 4mb. AGP
Sapphire Radeon 7000 32mb PCI
Sapphire Radeon 9250 64mb PCI

Happy with that!

Just reflow the nvidia's , check caps in circuit with classic ohm meter (if they go down on the scale, you just need to change that capacitor, if they sit steady in the middle they are oky).

My 80486-S i66 Project

Reply 48632 of 52723, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2023-03-21, 08:12:

-Yup I have a thing for Core2 ..no idea why but I love that platform and the hoard will be worth a bit when the eventual "Retro" era hits socket 775.

Because Core2 rocks! It was a real tipping point for Intel, before being downright run over by AMD ...

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 48633 of 52723, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
H3nrik V! wrote on 2023-03-21, 11:16:

Because Core2 rocks! It was a real tipping point for Intel, before being downright run over by AMD ...

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean? Core 2 was the start of Intel's nearly 13 year dominance that lasted, arguably, until AMD's Zen 2 was finally price+performance competitive in 2019.

I agree that Core 2 was great (I ran them myself) and I have owned a Ryzen 5 3600 and 5800X3D in recent years, but I think a lot happened between Core 2's success and AMD being competitive, and none of it involved AMD running over Intel.

Reply 48634 of 52723, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2023-03-21, 11:25:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean? Core 2 was the start of Intel's nearly 13 year dominance that lasted, arguably, until AMD's Zen 2 was finally price+performance competitive in 2019.

I agree that Core 2 was great (I ran them myself) and I have owned a Ryzen 5 3600 and 5800X3D in recent years, but I think a lot happened between Core 2's success and AMD being competitive, and none of it involved AMD running over Intel.

Maybe I didn't phrase it correct. What I meant was, that if it hadn't been for Core2, Intel would've been run over by AMD at that time, where the Prescotts were incredibly ineffective, the Core2 really kept Intel afloat

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 48635 of 52723, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
H3nrik V! wrote on 2023-03-21, 11:47:

Maybe I didn't phrase it correct. What I meant was, that if it hadn't been for Core2, Intel would've been run over by AMD at that time, where the Prescotts were incredibly ineffective, the Core2 really kept Intel afloat

Whats funny is that Core2 at its heart is the Pentium III Architecture improved and reborn, it carries the Pentium M line forwards while grabbing the best improvements Netburst made. And yeah Netburst made a ton of improvements especially in pre-fetch and branch prediction along with a host of efficiency improvements in other areas, not all of Netburst was terrible.

Makes you wonder what the Pentium III would have looked like if Netburst had never happened and they had just stuck to improving and iterating on an already efficient and speedy architecture instead, might have had Core2 far earlier.

Perhaps the fact the P3 and Core2 are related is why I have large collections of both..I do have 6 Tualatin 1.4s CPUs >.>

Reply 48636 of 52723, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
H3nrik V! wrote on 2023-03-21, 11:47:

AH, yep! That makes more sense. Sorry for misunderstanding. 😁

And yes, if they had just kept plugging along with Netburst who knows what would have happened. AMD had a little bit of room left with K8\K10, but Phenom wasn't really an improvement and Phenom II only ended up being decent enough to keep them afloat... but if they hadn't faced so much pressure from Intel maybe Bulldozer would never have happened, and things would have been a lot different.

Anyway, I'm glad there is some competition now at least and both companies have managed to stick it out. If either AMD or Intel had gotten stomped on enough and decided to give up on the consumer market we would probably be trying to deal with ARM vs x86 for PCs and possibly having a backward compatibility nightmare on our hands.

Reply 48637 of 52723, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TrashPanda wrote on 2023-03-21, 12:06:

Makes you wonder what the Pentium III would have looked like if Netburst had never happened and they had just stuck to improving and iterating on an already efficient and speedy architecture instead, might have had Core2 far earlier.

I don't know if it would have been too much earlier, the PIII-1400S came out in 2002 and Banias came out in 2003, possibly if they were all in on the PIII some months could be shaved off, but I think they had to still go from A through B and C to get to D. Though I guess we might have seen different weirdness, like a dual package dothan core PentiumD to fend off A64 X2 until core was all that.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 48638 of 52723, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-03-21, 15:03:
TrashPanda wrote on 2023-03-21, 12:06:

I don't know if it would have been too much earlier, the PIII-1400S came out in 2002 and Banias came out in 2003, possibly if they were all in on the PIII some months could be shaved off, but I think they had to still go from A through B and C to get to D. Though I guess we might have seen different weirdness, like a dual package dothan core PentiumD to fend off A64 X2 until core was all that.

What I was going for was that all the improvements made under Netburst would have been developed using the Pentium M core instead as part of their iteration and improving, I honestly believe we may have had Core2 far sooner but then I look at how Core2 came about and realise that it needed Netburst failing and AMD pushing to force Intel to go in that direction.

A Dual Package Dothan would have been interesting for sure, with higher IPC and speed it may have been able to fend off AMD.

Just reading about Core version ....you know what .. there were to many damn SKYLAKE revisions..Jesus Christ. (We refreshed your refresh so you could use a refresh with your refresh)

Reply 48639 of 52723, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ediflorianUS wrote on 2023-03-21, 09:17:

here is a photo of the lot (not sure how real it is):

Niiiiice!
Are you going to test them all?

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K