VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 720 of 1036, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finally found where the shorts between +12, +5, +3.3 came from.
Burnt multiplexers and a MOSFET. This last one had +5V to G but nothing on S and D.
I only need to find out what is CCH 531 (has a line over the letters) component that powers the BIOS chip.

If I'm not wrong, no multiplexer = no connection to SB or CPU.
Worst case it won't make cards work.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 721 of 1036, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Saving data from my daily driver.
About 2 days ago it started rapidly corrupt my files. First an app didn't launch, then video playback in the browser, probably at the same time video playback in general, I only noticed that it's a general problem later that day, then the audio was gone, then it needed a boot repair.

I don't know about system files, but I ended up with about 400 corrupted user files. Most of which I already had backed up.

Tomorrow I'll trying to find out what's the cause. My SSD is a fairly new one, maybe about half a year old.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 722 of 1036, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RandomStranger wrote on 2023-03-23, 21:03:
Saving data from my daily driver. About 2 days ago it started rapidly corrupt my files. First an app didn't launch, then video p […]
Show full quote

About 2 days ago it started rapidly corrupt my files. First an app didn't launch, then video playback in the browser, probably at the same time video playback in general, I only noticed that it's a general problem later that day, then the audio was gone, then it needed a boot repair.

I don't know about system files, but I ended up with about 400 corrupted user files. Most of which I already had backed up.

Tomorrow I'll trying to find out what's the cause. My SSD is a fairly new one, maybe about half a year old.

I am interested to know if it does end up being an SSD issue. My failure experience (2) has been they just up and died completely without a grace period.

I hope the damage done so far is to a minimum. Good luck!

Reply 723 of 1036, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Saving data from my daily driver. About 2 days ago it started rapidly corrupt my files. First an app didn't launch, then video p […]
Show full quote

What's your SSD? Important to know.

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 724 of 1036, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Meatball wrote on 2023-03-23, 21:26:
Show full quote

I am interested to know if it does end up being an SSD issue. My failure experience (2) has been they just up and died completely without a grace period.

What's your model of these two SSD that failed?

Important to know.

Cheers,

Reply 725 of 1036, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pentiumspeed wrote on 2023-03-23, 22:21:
Show full quote

What's your SSD? Important to know.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/silicon-power-xd80-ssd
The 1TB version.

Reply 726 of 1036, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pentiumspeed wrote on 2023-03-23, 22:21:
What's your model of these two SSD that failed? […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

What's your model of these two SSD that failed?

Important to know.

Cheers,

One I don’t remember. It was in a Lenovo laptop over 8 years ago. It quit working while I was using it - OS was surviving on RAM until I powered down and then that was it.

The other was ADATA. it died practically out of the box; about two days. They exchanged it no questions asked. I still buy ADATA almost exclusively for SSDs. All the others have been fine to date.

As an aside I’m not down on SSDs; just wondering if catastrophic failure is the norm.

Reply 727 of 1036, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For now, it appears to be some sort of file system error. It was a clone of the HDD I was previously using, initially only as an experiment to see if it would work. And it seemed to did. Until now.

After repartitioning the drive it seems to be fixed. I'll keep a close eye on how it keeps up.

IMG_20230324_163223_result.jpg
Filename
IMG_20230324_163223_result.jpg
File size
1.11 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
IMG_20230324_171111_result.jpg
Filename
IMG_20230324_171111_result.jpg
File size
1.12 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 728 of 1036, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tested a bunch of stuff:
- P4 m/b: no power on, has a trace burnt and a dead component (M091 Sot23 in case anyone knows)
- G41 m/b: no power on, SB gets close to very hot with only power mains attached; has a dead mosfet close to SB....
- working C2D 6550
- working 2x2gb ddr3
- working couple IDE dvd-rom + rw
- one GT610 2GB, no image but a dead mosfet (replaced mosfet + 3 caps now 100%ok)
- Radeon 9600 128MB (looks alright but noname brand- 100%Ok)
- 250GB Sata + 500GB Sata (has a dead 1 ohm R to replace)

Last edited by Nexxen on 2023-03-31, 17:51. Edited 1 time in total.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 729 of 1036, by Minutemanqvs

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A very modern activity at work for me, we got some new toys in...dual 32-Core EPYC Genoa and 512GB of RAM. It's got "Performance" cooling with heatpipes and all. The things have 256MB of cache each, socket SP5 is 6096 pins and it's HUGE. The cache itself is more than the whole RAM in my K6 system 🥱

CPU spec: https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-epyc-9354

IMG-0329.jpg
IMG-0330.jpg

Searching a Nexgen Nx586 with FPU, PM me if you have one. I have some Athlon MP systems and cookies.

Reply 730 of 1036, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Crysis benchies? 🤣

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 731 of 1036, by Minutemanqvs

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

With the integrated Matrox G200 you mean? It's absolutely amazing that Matrox still has this chipset in almost all servers used in the world in 2023, must be a good steady cash income.

Searching a Nexgen Nx586 with FPU, PM me if you have one. I have some Athlon MP systems and cookies.

Reply 732 of 1036, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What, the Rage XL finally lost it's crown??? 🤣
Yah what's gonna be the next bare minimum graphics for servers, surprised these don't have some base radeon vega 3 or something.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 733 of 1036, by Minutemanqvs

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-03-31, 17:44:

What, the Rage XL finally lost it's crown??? 🤣
Yah what's gonna be the next bare minimum graphics for servers, surprised these don't have some base radeon vega 3 or something.

I don’t even think there is a real « discrete » G200 chip on the motherboard, they probably license their IP to someone else to integrate it.

Reply 734 of 1036, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It was actually yesterday and not computer related. (but still was important to me)

First solo flight.

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 735 of 1036, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
acl wrote on 2023-04-08, 19:08:

It was actually yesterday and not computer related. (but still was important to me)

First solo flight.

Bravo!! I can understand that! Not that I know about flying, I don't fly one, but managing a plane is a different ball of play.

Cheers,

Reply 736 of 1036, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Today, when I got in for the start of the day, I went straight to co worker and educated him on what networks is all set up, and focus on setting up router, about especially the AP and IP means and showing him what, which was mostly IP details, to put in in WAN section of router's. I told him to call ISP to get the modem details so we can enter them into our router got this internet part, working. Then set up fixed IP for one PC based on MAC address got our proprietary software suite for maintaining and running diagnostics, updating to latest version etc, working without getting another approval from Samsung.
Got this done in 3o minutes. Thanks to my old, old experience at hand on computer stuff for decades.

I was not interested in waiting till Monday for ISP tech to come back, and getting our shop franchise up and running is priority one. (ubreakifix).

ISP tech forgot to leave the details with us and we were partially crippled for 3 days when modem blew up with a loud pop when lightning hit, personally to me would feel like a bang. Scared one tech out of it's wits. I was away.

Cheers,

Reply 737 of 1036, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pentiumspeed wrote on 2023-04-08, 22:54:
acl wrote on 2023-04-08, 19:08:

First solo flight.

Bravo!! I can understand that! Not that I know about flying, I don't fly one, but managing a plane is a different ball of play.

Cheers,

Thanks !

Even if i love building and playing with retro computers, i also work in IT so I already do a lot of computer related things during the day.
It's refreshing to learn something new and different.

The sight is a bonus 🙂

IMG_20220625_125828.jpg
Filename
IMG_20220625_125828.jpg
File size
89.32 KiB
Views
File comment
Picture by my flight instructor during one of our first flights. I was too focused to even look down.
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 738 of 1036, by Brawndo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Show full quote

Yep that's what happened to me. I had a Corsair Force MP600 NVMe a couple years ago which just completely died after just shy of a year. It threw me at first because one day I went to start up my PC and it wouldn't boot, but went directly to BIOS setup, which caused me to panic because I spent almost $3,500 building the PC and thought I had a motherboard issue, and it's the ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero, a $450 board. Eventually after poking around in the BIOS and resetting default settings, I discovered the SSD wasn't being detected at all by the BIOS. I can vouch for Corsair RMA support as they sent me a replacement SSD, but I didn't want to chance it, sold the replacement on ebay and bought a Samsung SSD. It's been flawless.

Reply 739 of 1036, by Minutemanqvs

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Same here, had a Samsung EVO 850 fail the same way. It went from working to not detected and dead instantly after 1 year of service...I have other low-cost SSDs which work since years on the other side. But I don't write that much on them once the OS is installed.