VOGONS

Reply 24040 of 27188, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xcomcmdr wrote on 2023-03-24, 22:14:

Windows 3.X is an actual OS. Kernel API, user space API, cooperative multitasking, ...

It ain't DOS.

It aint an OS either, its a GUI extension for DOS.

Windows NT would be the first true Windows OS not requiring MS-DOS to provide the base interface to the hardware.

And yes I will die on this hill.

Reply 24041 of 27188, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, not even Microsoft could make up their mind about it, as the Windows 3.0 box refers to it as a "Graphical Environment" while 3.1 is called an "Operating System".

I've also heard it being called an "Operating Environment" which seems to adequately describe it as something in between those two. But in any case at least 3.1 was used a lot in office environments and for early multimedia stuff so I wouldn't say it was pointless.

Reply 24042 of 27188, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
LewisRaz wrote on 2023-03-24, 23:15:

Whatever it is, its not intuitive for someone who has not used it before! 😁

Of course it is, draws on all the same interface conventions as it's predecessors like Visi On and Gem, you make it sound real old, still has cassette player play, stop, fast forward symbols in the gramophone app, some GUIs in my day, you had to shake the reins to make it go and haul back on them to make it stop. .. ... 😉

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 24043 of 27188, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2023-03-25, 02:54:

Windows 3.X is an actual OS. Kernel API, user space API, cooperative multitasking, ...

It ain't DOS.

I has its own kernel, drivers, kernel api, userspace api, memory model, multitasking model, its own executable format (NE format), Win16 apps...

It is an operating system. That's a fact.

It uses DOS as a bootloader and a compatibility layer.

Same for 9x, it is an OS. Entirely.

I'm just stating facts here. There's no hill to die on.

Reply 24044 of 27188, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xcomcmdr wrote on 2023-03-25, 08:25:
I has its own kernel, drivers, kernel api, userspace api, memory model, multitasking model, its own executable format (NE format […]
Show full quote
TrashPanda wrote on 2023-03-25, 02:54:

It ain't DOS.

I has its own kernel, drivers, kernel api, userspace api, memory model, multitasking model, its own executable format (NE format), Win16 apps...

It is an operating system. That's a fact.

It uses DOS as a bootloader and a compatibility layer.

Same for 9x, it is an OS. Entirely.

I'm just stating facts here. There's no hill to die on.

Uh huh

Are you one of these heathens that considers X-windows, KDE, GNOME etc to also be an OS? if not that what exactly is the difference here because Windows 3.1/9x are no different in their behavior of requiring a core OS to function.

We shall agree to disagree here I think.

Reply 24046 of 27188, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The BIOS is the only true operating system! Everything else is a shell for BIOS!

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 24047 of 27188, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GigAHerZ wrote on 2023-03-25, 12:57:

The BIOS is the only true operating system! Everything else is a shell for BIOS!

BIOS is before all things. The black monolith has one inside.
Let's start a cult, will come in handy in Fallout events.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 24048 of 27188, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I hate to split hairs, but Windows 3.x is kind of both an extension of DOS and its own, unique operating system. Windows 3.x can't boot without the DOS environment loaded first (including XMS memory management and device drivers). Windows 3.x relies on DOS for low-level drive access (although Microsoft later developed a "32-bit" driver for hard disk access) and basic BIOS calls.

However, once loaded, Windows 3.x manages memory itself for all programs including the DOS VM in standard and enhanced modes. It also has its own APIs (Win16 and Win32s) that cannot execute under DOS. Finally, it has its own device drivers for peripherals that can be loaded into Windows with or without the DOS drivers loaded first including video, audio, and networking.

As mentioned earlier, this is all true for Windows 9x. It likewise must boot DOS first with XMS memory management (HIMEM.SYS loads in the background), and it can boot with real-mode device drivers when needed (defined in AUTOEXEC.BAT). Once booted into the GUI, Windows 9x handles memory management and loads its own device drivers. The biggest difference (other than EXPLORER.EXE) is that Windows 9x has a lot more Windows device drivers including disk devices that Microsoft never developed for Windows 3.x.

So, if you consider Windows 9x an unique OS, then I think you could consider the DOS/Windows 3.x combination a unique OS. I do, which is why I have disks with just DOS optimized for DOS only applications, and disks that boot straight to Windows 3.x for Windows applications.

Reply 24049 of 27188, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote on 2022-09-19, 03:03:

There might be a DIP switch or jumper block that got set to CGA 80 mode instead of TGA mode and it's either in the back of the computer or inside on the motherboard.

I flashed a modified BIOS for my Austin M1RC and it works (I archived the original to be safe) and I flashed a MR BIOS set for a 286 board I'm going to test later on tonight.

I have yet to get that ECS 286 LX-A working and if the MR BIOS boots up, then I know for a fact that the original ROMs have gone bad or just a fluke somewhere. No battery damage since the board was never used and I have another 286 board I can test out as well which uses SIMM-30 RAM and there isn't a spot for PDIP RAM (late 286 board).

Weird, I have the same mobo now, it had a defective 4164 chip(s?) in bank 1, so I replaced them with 256k chips, BIOS still shows 640k total despite bank 0 being 512k (memory in that bank checks out)

Is there a manual somewhere for this board? Can it even do 1 Mb?

*edit - Switch 1 goes from off to on and I got my 1024k! YES!!

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 24050 of 27188, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Shagittarius wrote on 2023-03-24, 21:27:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote on 2023-03-24, 18:53:
LewisRaz wrote on 2023-03-24, 18:28:

Today I uploaded a video on my Dell 466i and rambled on about it while getting confused by windows 3.11 as I went straight from DOS to windows 95 back in the day.
https://youtu.be/RiKLiMbqu0o

Ive always viewed 3.1 as more of a DOS program masquerading as an OS than an actual OS.

The only reason to ever have used 3.x was for word processing.

There was this somewhat popular thing where you got a program from the National Center for Supercomputing Applications and connected to a particle accelerator laboratory.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 24051 of 27188, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-03-25, 16:01:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote on 2023-03-24, 18:53:

Ive always viewed 3.1 as more of a DOS program masquerading as an OS than an actual OS.

There was this somewhat popular thing where you got a program from the National Center for Supercomputing Applications and connected to a particle accelerator laboratory.

Interesting, I can't tell if I should know what this is by you withholding the name or if you don't remember the name?

Reply 24052 of 27188, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Referring to the pre 95 period where NCSA Mosaic was the popular web browser and info.cern.ch was the world's home/start page, before those upstarts at yahoo got going.

Reply 24053 of 27188, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My experience with the Web started in 94 I think, and I barely paid it any attention until mid year 95, so I'm not familiar with that at all. Interesting though!

In Aug of 95 I moved out to the California Bay Area for my job. They had a T1 line, and Windows '95 became a thing...that's when it really started meaning something for me, before that I wasn't about to pay by the hour. BBS' had everything I cared about.

While Netscape probably wasn't the first browser I had used, its the first I remember using regularly. (Nutscrape for those who lived it)

Reply 24054 of 27188, by Minutemanqvs

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today I got my dual-Pentium II 333 system based on a P2L97-DS mobo out. It's a 440LX chipset, so 66MHz FSB. It has 1GB of useless RAM but well...
I run the latest FreeBSD on it. The CPU fans are also half dead, I need to change them.

IMG-0315.jpg

IMG-0317.jpg
IMG-0316.jpg

IMG-0313.jpg

On a sidenote, are there adapters for USB 3 case cables to USB 1/2 motherboard headers?

Searching a Nexgen Nx586 with FPU, PM me if you have one. I have some Athlon MP systems and cookies.

Reply 24055 of 27188, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Minutemanqvs wrote on 2023-03-25, 16:29:

On a sidenote, are there adapters for USB 3 case cables to USB 1/2 motherboard headers?

Yes, they are on eBay for a few dollars. I have a couple and they work well.

Reply 24056 of 27188, by Minutemanqvs

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Meatball wrote on 2023-03-25, 17:39:
Minutemanqvs wrote on 2023-03-25, 16:29:

Yes, they are on eBay for a few dollars. I have a couple and they work well.

Ah indeed they are cheap... https://www.ebay.com/itm/224141908528

Searching a Nexgen Nx586 with FPU, PM me if you have one. I have some Athlon MP systems and cookies.

Reply 24057 of 27188, by hyoenmadan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-03-25, 04:01:

Of course it is, draws on all the same interface conventions as it's predecessors like Visi On and Gem

Actually, one of the reasons why Windows beaten the ***p on GEM was that, for some reason, Digital Research decided to no port their MP/M-86 multitask kernel to PC so GEM could provide actual program multitasking. So, even when GEM looked better (at least than Win1x and 2x) and had stuff like vector fonts, better graphics management, it actually provided an API for graphics applications etc... It couldn't support more than one program at time. Also you couldn't run DOS in a Box ofc.
This is actually different of GEM in the M68k, where actually Atari provided a multitask OS kernel in the form of TOS. There you can see the true capabilities of GEM which never made to PC. Later Novell tried fix that by extending TaskMax OS module to provide multitask services to GEM, but with Win95 coming, was already too late for them.

TrashPanda wrote on 2023-03-25, 09:07:

Are you one of these heathens that considers X-windows, KDE, GNOME etc to also be an OS? if not that what exactly is the difference here because Windows 3.1/9x are no different in their behavior of requiring a core OS to function.

Problem here is you aren't separating the components. What you call XWindows here is just a small part of KRNL386 and GDI. This doesn't involve the rest of the components at all. Although KRNL286 and 386 in Win1, 2, 3 and 4 is a DPMI client program, I give you that.
What you call KDE or GNOME in Windows lies in the USER module and part of GDI module.
The "OS Core" as you call it, is in the VMM module, or DOSX for Standard Mode. It has its own memory management, and taps & controls the CPU tables. Provides program protection and manages between drivers, hardware and the DOS VM, which you use when you don't have Disk and VGA drivers mostly.
DOSX "OS services" are simpler and smaller than its VMM countepart, and doesn't support many of the features its big brother do, as preemptive multitasking (in Win3 only for drivers, extended to windows programs and dos boxes in Win95).

Actually there is a little experiment, where, if you could program GRUB to provide the least of XMS and Disk services compatible with what Win9x expects at boot time, you actually could boot Win9x directly from GRUB bypassing DOS, as long as you provided VxD drivers for Disk and VGA. Sure you would lost Dos Box support and DOS compatibility failsafe falldown, but the OS would run Win32 applications with multitasking just fine. This was used by Novell in their lawsuit against Win95 and DOS ties.

Reply 24058 of 27188, by maxxis486

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I remember using it for editing and mixing audio samples using a software called Wave Editor that came with my SBPro, or was it SB16? Also, in the small business sector Win3.11 became really ubiquitous because of its networking capabilities. At least where I live. But yeah, as a kid I was more interested in DOS, cuz that's what all the games were running on 😁

Cheers!

Reply 24059 of 27188, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tested the DVD-ROM I picked up on Monday. It powered on but had the common ejection problem, and something was rattling inside. It was the exact same model (Lite-On SHD-16P1S) in this video and, fortunately, one of the clip on front bezel was already snapped, making it much easier to remove. I simply rinsed the rubber band with IPA and voila! The rattling stuff was -- guess what -- that snapped clip of the front bezel. 😆 And it could read some CD-R discs I burned more than 20 years ago successfully!

IMHO those PATA/IDE interfaced optical drives are far more valuable than SATA drives in retro computing: they can be used on computers from PC/AT to some early DDR3 era motherboards, with no need of SATA drivers (needed by Win9x at all times and WinXP during installation). By the time SATA became mainstream the need of optical drives started declining rapidly.