VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 48740 of 52344, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yesterday I grabbed a CRT monitor locally.
I previously used an old 4:3 LCD and i was looking to replace it some day. The CRT was 10 minutes from my work for 10€. It's a modern one (2002) with on-screen display menu. Works well.

IMG_20230331_151928.jpg
Filename
IMG_20230331_151928.jpg
File size
792.17 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I also received my voltage blaster. Works well with the Pro Sonic 16 (Jazz16) that requires -5V.

Also found this super weird joystick a few weeks ago. 6€ inc. Shipping.
It's some kind of infrared controlled wireless joystick. Apparently works in a similar way to the Wii controller, but reversed (the joystick emits the IR and the base, connected to the joystick port, receive) Very nice box !

IMG_20230325_230408.jpg
Filename
IMG_20230325_230408.jpg
File size
1.23 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
IMG_20230325_230423.jpg
Filename
IMG_20230325_230423.jpg
File size
1.5 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
IMG_20230325_230515.jpg
Filename
IMG_20230325_230515.jpg
File size
1.32 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

And a serial mouse. 5 or 6€ shipped.
(3 buttons, Not too yellow)

IMG_20230325_230753.jpg
Filename
IMG_20230325_230753.jpg
File size
1.28 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 48741 of 52344, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
acl wrote on 2023-04-01, 08:53:

Yesterday I grabbed a CRT monitor locally.
I previously used an old 4:3 LCD and i was looking to replace it some day. The CRT was 10 minutes from my work for 10€. It's a modern one (2002) with on-screen display menu. Works well.

as much as i don't mind having let all my crts go, when its such a god deal as this and easy to pick up i can see the benefit 😀 Nice that's fairly modern too, hopefully in great shape

Reply 48742 of 52344, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hot from the thrift store, the cheap bug bit me. $3.99.... the funny thing was, I was just thinking as I walked into the place "I dunno why I come to this one, no real computer parts in months, years..." then about as I had that thought I saw the motherboard box on shelf (For some S370 board actually, it's in the box of it's replacement/upgrade most likely) and this deally was in it.... Seems to be a BCM IN5598 .. I didn't know that right then, I just rawdog reality without a data crutch. All I seent was 5598 and I like my M571, even tho it's quirky and thought it maybe was similar... and the RAM came in it, 16MB EDO matched set of 4. I was hoping it might have some high FSB settings but 83 is all she wrote, the ICS chip ain't special, however it might have a 7 mhz crawler gear, which I will have to test. At minimum it probably knocks out floppy and USB though, since it halves ref clock, not sure if the VGA will go down with it, or whether like some VGA boards has it's own ref. Voltage selection is pretty good though, can have something really low voltage and cool in. PCI lock available also.

Attachments

• bcmin5598.jpg
    Filename
    bcmin5598.jpg
    File size
    195.95 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    BMC IN5598??
    File license
    Public domain

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 48743 of 52344, by Capcholo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

More IBM CPUs for the collection, nothing special.

Attachments

• IBMPR233.jpg
    Filename
    IBMPR233.jpg
    File size
    587.68 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IBMPR300BC.jpg
    Filename
    IBMPR300BC.jpg
    File size
    516.98 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IBMPR200.jpg
    Filename
    IBMPR200.jpg
    File size
    592.95 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 48744 of 52344, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-04-01, 20:31:

Hot from the thrift store, the cheap bug bit me. $3.99.... the funny thing was, I was just thinking as I walked into the place "I dunno why I come to this one, no real computer parts in months, years..." then about as I had that thought I saw the motherboard box on shelf (For some S370 board actually, it's in the box of it's replacement/upgrade most likely) and this deally was in it.... Seems to be a BCM IN5598 .. I didn't know that right then, I just rawdog reality without a data crutch. All I seent was 5598 and I like my M571, even tho it's quirky and thought it maybe was similar... and the RAM came in it, 16MB EDO matched set of 4. I was hoping it might have some high FSB settings but 83 is all she wrote, the ICS chip ain't special, however it might have a 7 mhz crawler gear, which I will have to test. At minimum it probably knocks out floppy and USB though, since it halves ref clock, not sure if the VGA will go down with it, or whether like some VGA boards has it's own ref. Voltage selection is pretty good though, can have something really low voltage and cool in. PCI lock available also.

I see an onboard ESS AudioDrive. That makes it a great little board in my opinion for mATX.

Reply 48745 of 52344, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kahenraz wrote on 2023-04-01, 21:12:

I see an onboard ESS AudioDrive. That makes it a great little board in my opinion for mATX.

Yup, ES1869F. That was also a "hey those ain't bad" initial spot, it has a lot on the board for making a compact DOS system.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 48746 of 52344, by eesz34

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hot from the thrift store, the cheap bug bit me. $3.99.... the funny thing was, I was just thinking as I walked into the place "I dunno why I come to this one, no real computer parts in months, years..."

I'm a little superstitious I guess, but it seems I never find something cool for dirt cheap if I walk into a store expecting it. I know it's dumb, but my Teac combo drive was a total surprise, $4, and Teac 55GFR perfect condition, $5, and new in box Casio organizer, $3.

Reply 48747 of 52344, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
eesz34 wrote on 2023-04-01, 22:42:

Hot from the thrift store, the cheap bug bit me. $3.99.... the funny thing was, I was just thinking as I walked into the place "I dunno why I come to this one, no real computer parts in months, years..."

I'm a little superstitious I guess, but it seems I never find something cool for dirt cheap if I walk into a store expecting it. I know it's dumb, but my Teac combo drive was a total surprise, $4, and Teac 55GFR perfect condition, $5, and new in box Casio organizer, $3.

A couple of times several months apart I found myself in a neighboring town and near a thrift I had not been in, first visit a cheap P4 with an LS-120, second visit months later an external LS-120, see other late parts there, and a stripped out system with nothing particularly tempting. Anyway made a mental note to go there more often, like monthly-ish, and last 3 visits, nothing. So yah, something in your theory, stuff turns up when least expecting. Stores seem to run hot and cold in short streaks as well. Weird thing this week was each of 4 stores had MULTIPLE Karaoke machines, and a variety of types too, CD+G with CRT in, DVD based, standalone microphone doohickeys, 2 and 3 of a type even, it's like some home fashionista talking head like Marie Kondo pronounced "Thou shalt not suffer a karaoke machine to live in thy abode" and everyone got rid of them at once.

edit: oh yah, I need to read up again on organizers, there's some really nifty ones that have a z80 and can load more programs on. I was a little fascinated by a Sharp one today, seemed to need a cradle though and maybe USB hookup which was I think a little past early pocket computer/organiser melding period.

Reply 48748 of 52344, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Still not retro, but can´t resist - I bought the mysterious Phenom II (Deneb), hidden under the Athlon X2 5000 "cloak" - a once desirable piece of hw for unlocking on boards with ACC (NCC) feature.

Attachments

• a5k.jpg
    Filename
    a5k.jpg
    File size
    62.41 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 48749 of 52344, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-04-01, 21:18:
Kahenraz wrote on 2023-04-01, 21:12:

Yup, ES1869F. That was also a "hey those ain't bad" initial spot, it has a lot on the board for making a compact DOS system.

+1.
Those ESS cards are more SB compatible than the SBs themselves. (Y)

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 48750 of 52344, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ydee wrote on 2023-04-02, 08:29:

Still not retro, but can´t resist - I bought the mysterious Phenom II (Deneb), hidden under the Athlon X2 5000 "cloak" - a once desirable piece of hw for unlocking on boards with ACC (NCC) feature.

Am I anywhere near right in thinking this was the predecesor of the Phenom II X2 550 in terms of unlocking? 😁

(probably not, but at least I tried 😀 )

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 48751 of 52344, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PcBytes wrote on 2023-04-02, 09:52:

Am I anywhere near right in thinking this was the predecesor of the Phenom II X2 550 in terms of unlocking? 😁

(probably not, but at least I tried 😀 )

Yes, but X2 550 work with both DDR2 (AM2+) and DDR3 (AM3) , these X2 5000 with DDR2 only (AM2+). But both are in facts 4-core Phenoms CPU.

Reply 48752 of 52344, by carlitosbala

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Found this pc module today in the street market. The AMIBIOS label in a DIMM module immediately caught my attention, but I was still not willing to pay the 4 € the seller wanted for it, but when I started walking away he said 3... and then I looked it up online.

It seems it is a DIMM-PC module for industrial applications. Being as I am completely ignorant of industrial hardware I think it is absolutely amazing to see that a 386 PC in a DIMM slot was made in 2003 (judging by the dates in the chips). Unfortunately making it into a functional PC costs a huge amount of money compared with what I usually spend on hardware, somewhere between 200 and 300 for the compatible base board, so I'm thinking about what I could do to with it besides keeping it as a very cool piece of my hardware collection, or just putting it on eBay and sell it for a healthy profit.

Attachments

Reply 48753 of 52344, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
carlitosbala wrote on 2023-04-02, 12:25:

Found this pc module today in the street market. The AMIBIOS label in a DIMM module immediately caught my attention, but I was still not willing to pay the 4 € the seller wanted for it, but when I started walking away he said 3... and then I looked it up online.

It seems it is a DIMM-PC module for industrial applications. Being as I am completely ignorant of industrial hardware I think it is absolutely amazing to see that a 386 PC in a DIMM slot was made in 2003 (judging by the dates in the chips). Unfortunately making it into a functional PC costs a huge amount of money compared with what I usually spend on hardware, somewhere between 200 and 300 for the compatible base board, so I'm thinking about what I could do to with it besides keeping it as a very cool piece of my hardware collection, or just putting it on eBay and sell it for a healthy profit.

Interesting... I would be inclined to think of doing something like gluing a DIMM socket to the back of a cheap ISA riser, along with PS/2 ports, and power socket and "dead bug" wiring it all up. (Though that doesn't quite fit the definition as dead bug usually means putting components upside down rather than sideways but similar idea) ... That's one of the cheap/low effort ideas that occur, then a full tour of my fantasies if I suddenly got one, would include landmarks such as "DOS based smartphone" and "DOS PC game gear cartridge" etc

Edit: So I was curious about fleabay pricing, holy crap, so high I got a nosebleed.

editII: did you catch foone's twitter post yet? https://twitter.com/foone/status/1423078973064441858

Reply 48754 of 52344, by carlitosbala

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, I did get to that twitter thread when I was trying to learn about this thing. My unit I think is newer, not sure if it has the same functionality included. On one hand, the manufacturer has detailed manuals, so it could be very interesting to play with. On the other... way too much money to even get a "generic" ISA board to see if something can be worked out. I usually go once per month to the flea market with 15 € in cash, so 150-200 is basically me not doing that for a year 😁

But who knows, I might find something related next time, and for sure if I see a seller with this kind of weird stuff (for example, somebody was selling a Brocade firewall motherboard today, and some kind of network rackmount device with 8 SPF ports) I'll make sure to ask where are they getting them from. There might be some e-waste recycler nearby that is willing to sell some gear, the ones I have asked about it do not.

Reply 48756 of 52344, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

pinout is available, if you figure which connector is used you could design and order fully assembled board https://jlcpcb.com/parts/componentSearch for less than $20

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 48757 of 52344, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

2008 isnt it? thats now 15 years ago. it's kinda retro 😀

in 2015 we would have though of a year 2000 cpu as retro (though things were still moving fast back then)

anyway, this purchase could be the beginning of some adventures for you!

Reply 48758 of 52344, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gerry wrote on 2023-04-03, 09:20:
2008 isnt it? thats now 15 years ago. it's kinda retro :) […]
Show full quote

in 2015 we would have though of a year 2000 cpu as retro (though things were still moving fast back then)

I recently got the 5200 variant of this little CPU, cost a tenner with free shipping, I cant resist a good unlockable harvest CPU they make for fun little CPUs ! (Mine sadly isnt NIB)
Grabbed a X3 740 for the same reason, to play around with unlocking the fourth core, no idea if my 740 can do that yet but itll be fun to find out.

Athlon X2 5200.jpg
Filename
Athlon X2 5200.jpg
File size
109.91 KiB
Views
File comment
Seller Photo
File license

Reply 48759 of 52344, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerry wrote on 2023-04-03, 09:20:

I bought it for the first time in 2010 when I look at my result at the time https://valid.x86.fr/show_oc.php?id=1018306
After switching to Sandy Bridge, I sold it to a friend. Then he upgraded, hw was lying in a box in the attic, and now there was a chance for a few pennies to get it back.