VOGONS

Reply 200 of 270, by Yoghoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Unfortunately I don't get this card to work stable. Thought it only happens in Windows but I found out it's also not stable in DOS. Played with dozens of different DOS and Windows mouse drivers and tried changing the options on the card (mousewheel/speed). Already tried different mouses as well. It just hangs the mouse after an unspecified amount of time. Think I have to switch back to my original serial mouse as I am out of ideas. 🙁

Reply 202 of 270, by Yoghoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
feipoa wrote on 2021-09-28, 21:17:

If you set the mouse to COM1, did you remember to disable COM1 in the motherboard's BIOS, for example?

Yes. I disabled it (with jumpers) on the controller card. I also tested it on COM2 (with COM2 disabled on the controller card). Same problem unfortunately.

Reply 203 of 270, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I assume you have no other device using port 3F8h, that is, assuming you have the I/O card set to 3F8h? Perhaps you can try another address and remove all other expansion cards.

The one issue I ran into was on my NexGen board. Even though I had disabled COM1 in the BIOS, Windows95 keep re-enabling the MB's COM1. I had to manually tell Windows to disable COM1 always for the conflict to resolve. This issue was with this board only.

However, if you experience the issue also in DOS, perhaps you can test the unit on another motherboard to narrow the issue down further.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 204 of 270, by Yoghoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
feipoa wrote on 2021-09-28, 22:38:

I assume you have no other device using port 3F8h, that is, assuming you have the I/O card set to 3F8h? Perhaps you can try another address and remove all other expansion cards.

The one issue I ran into was on my NexGen board. Even though I had disabled COM1 in the BIOS, Windows95 keep re-enabling the MB's COM1. I had to manually tell Windows to disable COM1 always for the conflict to resolve. This issue was with this board only.

However, if you experience the issue also in DOS, perhaps you can test the unit on another motherboard to narrow the issue down further.

There are indeed no other devices using the ports for COM1 and COM2. I did remove other expansion slots before already but to no avail.

Unfortunately I don't have other motherboards to test. I am open for donations though. 😉

Reply 205 of 270, by HBI

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Belly1986 wrote on 2021-05-23, 07:08:
Rio444 wrote on 2019-12-19, 14:31:
Yes, the card is fully assembled. The price when paying using Paypal is $ 25 (if you pay as a family/friend, i.e. without a tran […]
Show full quote

Yes, the card is fully assembled.
The price when paying using Paypal is $ 25 (if you pay as a family/friend, i.e. without a transfer fee). Additionally, for shipping, $ 7 for one card and $ 9 for 2 or more.
Delivery time varies greatly by country. It seems the longest delivery time to Canada - about 1.5 months. To Germany and UK it is approximately 2 weeks. Shipping to the USA usualy takes a little more than 2 weeks.
If you name the country and I sent there, I will tell you how long the delivery took.

Here is the adapter Guide download/file.php?id=70920
I believe it will help you answer some of the questions.
Also see here Another PS/2 Mouse ISA (ISA8) card adapter
You can contact me by email Email.1569054222.png

Greetings, I am new here 😀

I would be interested in purchasing a couple of these adapters but being new as a registered member I'll email you using my username as a reference. Kind Regards, -- Tom 😀

Same same, Rio444. Will send an e-mail. This is a really cool adapter.

Reply 207 of 270, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Rio444 wrote on 2021-01-17, 18:19:
Yes, please write to me in PM. […]
Show full quote
kuenzign wrote on 2021-01-14, 00:09:
Rio444 wrote on 2020-06-27, 09:23:

Yes, there are adapters available. You were the one who emailed me, weren't you?

Do you still have cards for sale?

Yes, please write to me in PM.

Now adapters has a new revision - 1.2 .
Changes in revision 1.2 compared to revision 1.1:
- added support for Windows 2000 and Windows XP,
- changed layout of jumpers and marked position of jumpers to select COM3 and COM4,
- removed data rate divider 1/3 (only 1/2 and 1/4 remain),
- added the ability to select any IRQ from the range 5, 6, 7, 2/9.

Face.jpgBracket.jpgBack.jpg
Jumpers1.pngJumpers2.png

A card like this would be preferable on older systems over usb yes? Because of usb input slowing down cpu?

How hard would it be to add a kb port?

Lots of old mobos out there with broken kb ports.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 208 of 270, by Rio444

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello everyone again!

Yoghoo wrote on 2021-09-26, 18:34:

Thought the problem was gone by switching to COM1 but unfortunately above problem also exists on COM1. @Rio444 do you know why this is happening?

If the LED is on continuously and does not blink, it means that the driver has removed the signal from the RTS of COM port (in this case, virtual COM-port), i.e. disabled the mouse.
It's hard for me to guess why this might happen.
Try to use other drivers, both built into Windows and third-party. For example Genius drivers.

jimmystikx wrote on 2021-12-07, 20:00:

Are these still available?

Adapters are usually available. Only I do not always have time to make them, so sometimes they run out.
Due to the growth in the cost of parts and postal services, the price of adapters has slightly increased. One adapter now costs $ 27. Postage for one adapter costs $ 7.5, shipping 2-3 adapters costs $ 10.

If I didn’t reply to the email, it may not have arrived. In this case, write to the address riv.rostov(a)gmail.com
I check this mailbox less often than the main one, but the chances that the letter will reach is higher.

A card like this would be preferable on older systems over usb yes? Because of usb input slowing down cpu?

If it is possible to install a USB port, then it is usually preferable, although it slows down the system a little.
The keyboard port cannot be added, because its address don't go on the ISA bus.
At the same time, the keyboard port is usually easy to repair. The problem could be with the strapping or the controller.
You can see how it works in the datasheet for keyboard controllers. It usually looks something like this:
KB.png

My e-mail Email.1569054222.png

Reply 209 of 270, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You always know you're working on a really awesome project with high demand when you see multiple newbies (or longtime lurkers?) inquiring about it in the first post they make on the forum. 😁

Welcome all! 🙂

Reply 211 of 270, by Yoghoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Eldatur wrote on 2022-02-18, 16:02:

Long time lurker here, I'm interested in 1 or 2 of these cards. I sent you an e-mail 😀

Don't know where you from but these cards come from Russian. Not want to start a political discussion but with all those sanctions it can be difficult to receive them at the moment.

Reply 212 of 270, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Rio444 wrote on 2021-12-12, 20:14:
Hello everyone again! […]
Show full quote

Hello everyone again!

Yoghoo wrote on 2021-09-26, 18:34:

Thought the problem was gone by switching to COM1 but unfortunately above problem also exists on COM1. @Rio444 do you know why this is happening?

If the LED is on continuously and does not blink, it means that the driver has removed the signal from the RTS of COM port (in this case, virtual COM-port), i.e. disabled the mouse.
It's hard for me to guess why this might happen.
Try to use other drivers, both built into Windows and third-party. For example Genius drivers.

jimmystikx wrote on 2021-12-07, 20:00:

Are these still available?

Adapters are usually available. Only I do not always have time to make them, so sometimes they run out.
Due to the growth in the cost of parts and postal services, the price of adapters has slightly increased. One adapter now costs $ 27. Postage for one adapter costs $ 7.5, shipping 2-3 adapters costs $ 10.

If I didn’t reply to the email, it may not have arrived. In this case, write to the address riv.rostov(a)gmail.com
I check this mailbox less often than the main one, but the chances that the letter will reach is higher.

If it is possible to install a USB port, then it is usually preferable, although it slows down the system a little.
The keyboard port cannot be added, because its address don't go on the ISA bus.
At the same time, the keyboard port is usually easy to repair. The problem could be with the strapping or the controller.
You can see how it works in the datasheet for keyboard controllers. It usually looks something like this:
KB.png

Rio444, the time has come and I find myself in need of a isa ps2 card

I also share concern about being able to get these cards out of Russia.

I skimmed the thread, but did not see any pcb project files? Did I miss them?

If not. Are you willing to upload them?

But,
I actually have something even grander to propose though,

Calamitylime has made a rather nice external adapter that supports several protocols/ports. And I have some free time to draft pcb files.

I was wondering of between the three of us we might be able to make a project that had more features but was internal like yours. Maybe improve availability world wide also?

A collaboration.

What do you think?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 213 of 270, by Rio444

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-12-22, 05:23:
Rio444, the time has come and I find myself in need of a isa ps2 card […]
Show full quote

Rio444, the time has come and I find myself in need of a isa ps2 card

I also share concern about being able to get these cards out of Russia.

I skimmed the thread, but did not see any pcb project files? Did I miss them?

If not. Are you willing to upload them?

It looks like the crap that some of my compatriots have done in Ukraine will not end in the foreseeable future. So yes, I'm close to sharing all the sources, but I'm not ready for that yet.
This project is no longer interesting to me. But it brought a small but stable income, which allowed me to do other projects. Over the past time, I was able to implement several small projects that I was too lazy to post on this site. And perhaps the most serious project of mine to date is coming to an end - a video converter from EGA/ CGA/MONO to VGA. It is similar to the well-known MCE2VGA project, only little better))) Here is a video of the very first prototype https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mMGqXjjjTI

As for the mouse PS/2 adlapter in ISA, I plan to do the following. In the near future I will post here gerbers for PCB and BOM. So that everyone can evaluate the cost and the ability to make it on their own. If someone decides to do this, he can write to me in the PM and I will give the firmwares. Please note that I consent only to the non-commercial use of these materials. You can make devices for yourself, your friends, maybe sell some surplus on the local market, but nothing more.

Added:
Gerbers https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UlZlQQGpr_lv … iew?usp=sharing copy https://disk.yandex.ru/d/h6lZCQXyhQQ--w
BOM https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Y1JxC … of=true&sd=true copy https://disk.yandex.ru/i/KORzw5qpPurPqw

My e-mail Email.1569054222.png

Reply 214 of 270, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sweet! Thanks Rio444!

I hope that the situation over there improves soon.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 215 of 270, by arg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I bought this adapter few years ago, but only now finally managed to test it, building a new rig.

My setup: Microsoft IntelliMouse USB -> Aten CS84U KVM -> Adapter card -> Socket 3 motherboard. The adapter is configured as COM1, board's ports are shifted in a way:
COM1 -> COM2
COM2 -> COM3

Been using it for few days, no issues noticed so far.

Reply 216 of 270, by ramon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If anyone made a card and/or if it is available for sale again, I would be interested.

Tandon 286/n 286-12 | 4MB | PVGA1A-JK | ES1869F
Highscreen Pentium 233 MMX | 64MB | S3 ViRGE/DX | Voodoo I | AWE64
AOpen K6-2+ 450 | 512MB | GF MX2 400 64MB | SB Live!

Reply 217 of 270, by Gasmart81

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I´m also interested in a couple if someone makes them.
I want to use the PS/2 IBM TouchSelect touchscreen for my 8513 display in my good old Juko XT clone.

Many thanks and greetings from Argentina!
Gastón.

Reply 219 of 270, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
POTA wrote on 2023-06-23, 11:30:

I just found this project, would have loved to try one. Are they as responsive (lag wise) as native PS/2 mouse m/b support?

I've used 5 different external ps/2 to serial protocol converters, all of which showed some lag when used with my KVM at the tested resolution, normally 1280x768. With Rio444's ISA serial emulator card, I did not observe any lag. Rio444's emulator card is my go-to for all systems for which I cannot modify to accept a native PS/2 mouse. It is my opinion that everyone should keep at least one of these cards for such circumstances.

I have only two of Rio444's cards - one is in my NexGen PF110 system, the other I use for benchtop tests.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.