VOGONS

Common searches

New forum suggestions/Feedback

Topic actions

Reply 441 of 516, by pixelatedscraps

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is there a way to reply to users who have not reached the minimum post count in order to receive private messages?

A few months back, I was looking for advice about relocating to Germany and bringing my collection with me and received some useful advice from a user whom I can not reply to via pm. It's unfortunate.

My ultimate dual 440LX / Voodoo2 SLI build

Reply 442 of 516, by Mister98XPee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Bring an actual functional search engine! I just discovered what a joke this engine is. Did you use an even more broken version of Google? Type in anything software or hardware and you'll get silly results.

Reply 443 of 516, by zirkoni

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Should the scrollbar be always visible? Because it's not visible on Firefox (for Linux Mint) unless I move the mouse cursor to the right edge of the page.
On Chrome it is always visible.

Last edited by zirkoni on 2023-01-27, 13:37. Edited 2 times in total.

https://youtube.com/@zirkoni42

Reply 444 of 516, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

While creating How can I get my GeForce FX 5700 [NV36] to work in my Tyan S2466 Tiger MPX? I looked at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBCode I expected table to work, but it doesn't, should it?

[table][tr][td]Item[/td][td]Tyan S2466 Tiger MPX[/td][td]Gigabyte 8IPE775P[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]GeForce FX 5200 [NV34][/td][td]AGP x4[/td][td]NA[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]GeForce FX 5700 [NV36][/td][td]Long + Short + Short[/td][td]AGP x8[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]GeForce 7600 GS [G70][/td][td]AGP x4[/td][td]AGP x8[/td][/tr][/table]

It worked as expected when I tried it on https://siv.boards.net/

Reply 445 of 516, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So I tried using the forums on an iPhone 12 today. In both Safari and Chrome, the desktop mode doesn't work.

Tried unselecting and reselecting the desktop mode multiple times but it didn't help.

It works as expected on Chrome on Android.

Just one more reason to not like Apple or is there something that needs to be fixed on the forum side?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 446 of 516, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2023-03-27, 18:58:
So I tried using the forums on an iPhone 12 today. In both Safari and Chrome, the desktop mode doesn't work. […]
Show full quote

So I tried using the forums on an iPhone 12 today. In both Safari and Chrome, the desktop mode doesn't work.

Tried unselecting and reselecting the desktop mode multiple times but it didn't help.

It works as expected on Chrome on Android.

Just one more reason to not like Apple or is there something that needs to be fixed on the forum side?

I’d assume its more to do with the theme. There are some themes whose CSS stuff will be mobile responsive regardless of that setting, because of how their CSS is constructed. (example: Bootstrap).

Android might just have a setting to enforce old school desktop mode that existed before the advent of responsive design. I cannot say it for sure because I am not an android user.

Other sites on Safari here (iPhone 13 Mini) do desktop mode just fine hence why my conclusions above.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 447 of 516, by twiz11

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I love how all posts are marked under CC-BY 4.0 International by default. I thought for sure it would be under CC-BY-SA 4.0 for some reason to keep the forums free and open. Having a default-free license does make what I say a story instead of a quote or opinion.

I am I

Reply 448 of 516, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is there any way we can get the allowed signature length increased?

I needed to fix my Google Drive links and ended up having to use TinyURL to get shortened URLs. Even after that, I had to shorten the descriptions of the links in my sig to get them all back.

I originally made the links before the forum was upgraded and I didn't have a problem back then but the max length was shortened so much that it is causing problems.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 449 of 516, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On high DPI screens the overridden mouse cursor in this forum becomes quite tiny.
I understand that it is the retro cursor, but in retro time, there were no high DPI screens on which the operating system could also scale all ui elements.

It would be nice if there would be an option to enable/disable custom cursor or set the size to 100%/150%/200% or something.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 450 of 516, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know I haven't been here in a while, and am known to kick up some dust (it's people that bring out the worst in me). But not allowing people to buy and sell is so anal. My intention is not to be insulting. But why do I need a website to protect me? Am I not an adult? I have bougjt and sold any number of things (often by check even!). And haven't been burned yet. Why again do I need a website to protect me?

Reply 451 of 516, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

1. It's not to protect our users, it is to protect the website (owner).
2. Turning Vogons into a marketplace will slowly turn Vogons toxic
3. A lot more moderating time would need to be spent which comes out of the free time of the moderators (all unpaid).

Use Amibay, ebay or whatever for buying and selling, just not Vogons.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 452 of 516, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Why do people always want to change x into something else, and not directly use that something else?
"But I like this x and I'd like to do more with it".
Understood but x might not look like what you currently like after it changes.

Reply 453 of 516, by 7F20

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dominus wrote on 2023-05-17, 08:06:
1. It's not to protect our users, it is to protect the website (owner). 2. Turning Vogons into a marketplace will slowly turn Vo […]
Show full quote

3. A lot more moderating time would need to be spent which comes out of the free time of the moderators (all unpaid).

Not to mention VCFED has a marketplace that overlaps in focus. What's wrong with that one?

Reply 454 of 516, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
7F20 wrote on 2023-05-17, 13:38:
Dominus wrote on 2023-05-17, 08:06:
1. It's not to protect our users, it is to protect the website (owner). 2. Turning Vogons into a marketplace will slowly turn Vo […]
Show full quote

Not to mention VCFED has a marketplace that overlaps in focus. What's wrong with that one?

Well, if you can wait years to get the mods over at VCFED to approve enough posts so you don't have to have every post approved before it shows up... more power to ya.

I gave up after a few months.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 455 of 516, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok there are a few things to straiten out. I was a member of vcfed for about 17 years. I was absolutely hated by the majority of mods. I had account after account banned, go look - chris2005, 2icebitn, tipc. I finally just quit because I think the upgraded software made my life too miserable. But I don't recall ever being put on moderated status. So I don't kno1w what that's all about. Sounds like made up hooey.

Servethehome, vcfed, basically most of the big forums allow commerce. Why this owner needs so much protection is beyond me.

Reply 456 of 516, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Why this owner needs so much protection is beyond me.

Just deal with it, lamenting or low key ridiculing won't change it.

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 457 of 516, by ldeveraux

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chris2021 wrote on 2023-05-17, 14:11:

Ok there are a few things to straiten out. I was a member of vcfed for about 17 years. I was absolutely hated by the majority of mods. I had account after account banned, go look - chris2005, 2icebitn, tipc. I finally just quit because I think the upgraded software made my life too miserable. But I don't recall ever being put on moderated status. So I don't kno1w what that's all about. Sounds like made up hooey.

Servethehome, vcfed, basically most of the big forums allow commerce. Why this owner needs so much protection is beyond me.

Sounds like the problem is you, not everyone else!

Reply 458 of 516, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just a curious question, in which platform is this forum based? phpBB?

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 459 of 516, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I think so