VOGONS

First post, by Maryoo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found a very good deal on an Intel D915GAG motherboard and Radeon X800 PCIe. I would like to know from you whether this set will work without problems with Windows 98. Here I found drivers for Win98 that supposedly work with the D915 chipset: http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=875&menustate=

Reply 1 of 2, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It should work with Windows 98, but I can't say for certain if it won't have problems.

I recently got Windows 98 running on a H97 motherboard, so the chipset itself isn't usually a problem (you can use the drivers that come with Windows or find a set of Intel chipset drivers). You might have some trouble getting the on-board devices (LAN, HD Audio, Intel Graphics) working with Win98 since drivers from that time period are hard to come by. You might need a Win9x compatible PCI NIC and/or sound card.

You can also run into trouble if you install more than 1GB of RAM. You can install more, but you'll need to limit the RAM in the SYSTEM.INI file or use Rloew's memory patch.

On-board USB should work out of the box. The NUSB drivers will add more USB functionality to Win98.

The good news is that the Radeon x800 PCIe is completely compatible with Win98 when using ATI/AMD's last driver set for Win98. I personally use a Radeon x800 XL for my Win98/Me retro rocket. Great card!

Reply 2 of 2, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Win98 shoud run fine on i925 and i915 chipsets.

fosterwj03 wrote on 2023-05-25, 20:48:

You can also run into trouble if you install more than 1GB of RAM. You can install more, but you'll need to limit the RAM in the SYSTEM.INI file...

That has never worked for me. No amount of editing system.ini or msconfig prevented me getting "out of memory" error on bootup with more the 1GB of ram or the "windows protection error - you need to restart your computer" error after installing forceware drivers.

fosterwj03 wrote on 2023-05-25, 20:48:

....or use Rloew's memory patch.

This one worked flawlesly without any tinkering, even with 2GB of ram. Installed the patch and it just works.

it can be found here: https://archive.org/details/PATCHMEM

for 1gb of ram, make sure you apply the patch before installing video card drivers