VOGONS

First post, by Furztherapeut

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to get this game to run under Windows 10. When I launch the game I simply get an instant crash with "DirectDraw init failed." as an error message. If I put the latest DgVoodoo2 x86 DLLs into the folder (d3d8 and ddraw) I'm getting black screen, followed by the same crash. So I'm not really getting much further even with DgVoodoo2.

The 2004 Special Edition version got a vista patch and supposedly runs under Windows 10 but I really prefer the original 2001 version because it has some differences, along with a completely different (in my opinion, superior) soundtrack.

You can reproduce this yourself with the game demo: https://www.gamepressure.com/download.asp?ID=549
And here's the config utility for the game: https://www.gamepressure.com/download.asp?ID=72935

If anyone has an idea how I could make this work without having to resort to a retro PC or a virtual machine, I'd be very grateful.

Reply 1 of 2, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

do you also have the 2004 special edition? i suppose if i was feeling experimental i'd try and substitute some files from the SE to the original - this is rarely successful but sometimes gets lucky with an updated dll or similar

i'm assuming all the compatibility mode options in win10 haven't helped

Reply 2 of 2, by Furztherapeut

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gerry wrote on 2023-05-26, 12:13:

do you also have the 2004 special edition? i suppose if i was feeling experimental i'd try and substitute some files from the SE to the original - this is rarely successful but sometimes gets lucky with an updated dll or similar

i'm assuming all the compatibility mode options in win10 haven't helped

I do actually have the Special Edition version, and I think have have tried something to that degree without any success. Yeah I've tried all the compatibility options but to no avail.

Although I've succuessfully managed to make the game run in Pcem, running Windows 98. It just runs VERY poorly, it's basically unplayable. The emulated voodoo card is just too slow I guess. There must be a reason why the game doesn't work with any wrapper. I've also tried dxWnd, WineD3D, d8vk, cnc-ddraw and dxgl. The game clearly uses ddraw and d3d8 libraries, but there's something that happens BEFORE loading the DLLs that causes it to crash.