Bought this (Modern) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 1900 of 2072, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@pentiumspeed

Is that a response to me? I had an Iphone 7 plus for about 2 years and I found it to be too restrictive.
As for the 6S, it's huge and heavy for the purpose. About 4 times the size and weight as the Clip Sport Plus. And you need a case to clip on. I also don't like that they need iTunes to just sync music onto it. The same issues, except the one relating iTunes also apply to Android phones. A 4" low-end phone is still twice the size and 3× the weight.

I still have my Ipod Nano 6, which I occasionally use as a watch and for traveling as an mp3 player watch. If it didn't need iTunes, had standard charging/data port (micro/mini USB or Type C) and bluetooth, it'd be perfect. So basically this in black:
https://www.amazon.de/Lenco-Sportwatch-100-Sc … d/dp/B00P8VIS3W
But it's only available in pink.

Edit:
The Clip Sport Plus at least has no issues with JBL Vibe earbuds. I also got a case for them.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 1901 of 2072, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's time to build a new, dedicated Gaming PC - Gaming only, nothing else. No browsing, no productivity (which are being allocated to a laptop); nothing but games and the infrastructure to support them (such as VMware, DOSBox, PCem, etc.) Only games capable of a file-copy install with requirements exceeding the power capacity of a virtual environment will be allowed to run directly on the OS, which I anticipate being only a handful.

Most of the photo is self-explanatory, but the CPU is an AMD 7800X3D.

Attachments

Reply 1903 of 2072, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Had some extra $ and stopped by Best buy. RX6600 for the same price as Newegg and $80 cheaper than a 6600xt. R5 5600x on sale for $120. $350 and I have a complete system upgrade for my Step brother from his r5 2600. I was debating on the CPU after I'd already bought the GPU, but figured he can focus on a good GPU upgrade now, and will definitely see a difference. Really impressed with the R9 390 and kinda excited to pass along his old parts.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 1904 of 2072, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Meatball wrote on 2023-06-16, 20:54:

It's time to build a new, dedicated Gaming PC - Gaming only, nothing else. No browsing, no productivity (which are being allocated to a laptop); nothing but games and the infrastructure to support them (such as VMware, DOSBox, PCem, etc.) Only games capable of a file-copy install with requirements exceeding the power capacity of a virtual environment will be allowed to run directly on the OS, which I anticipate being only a handful.

Beautiful! Plz post finished build pics if you take them 😀

Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 1905 of 2072, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Newest member of the family - Asus GT301 atx case. Black like under my fingernails (and toe nails). They had a red one but good luck finding it for under 3 bills. There was also a yellow demon slayer version. Yep stuck with black. I may strip and repaint it though. 75$. I always liked it. Passed it up when it was 60$.

Reply 1906 of 2072, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ODwilly wrote on 2023-06-17, 08:20:
Meatball wrote on 2023-06-16, 20:54:

Beautiful! Plz post finished build pics if you take them 😀

Thanks! You can see a few here: Re: What modern activity did you get up to today?

Reply 1907 of 2072, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As an excuse to give my parents a better machine than their 2015 Macbook Air, and a reason to get myself on a far more useful for my uses/mac-collecting, I upgraded to an M2 Pro based Macbook, then proceeded to get Guild Wars 2 running on it via the game porting tool and Whisky.

IMG_1965.jpg
Filename
IMG_1965.jpg
File size
1.07 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I really can't complain too much about an unofficial emulation layer running a game with okayish results.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 1908 of 2072, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Too much trouble to run an old game on a closed garden laptop but some people love misery..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1910 of 2072, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Kinda impulse, kinda FOMO, kinda hastily researched, local discount house has Sansui 27" monitors $129 Canadian with 25% off, so under $100 wooo. Scan of reviews was saying "good for the money" at $139-189 US pricing, so grabbed two.

Amazon link for product illustration, not discounted there at present https://www.amazon.ca/SANSUI-Computer-Speaker … B0BRV7N7K1?th=1

Anyhoo, gotta have a massive tidy up and rearrange of my "daily driver" area before I can get set up with those. One complaint I've seen about them is that color fidelity isn't that great. Another is that 1080P is a bit low res for 27"... but I think I'll be 3 feet back from them, rather than nearly nose to the screen so I think more would be wasted, plus I'm not gonna be running a GPU that will do that good on higher res.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 1911 of 2072, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hardware - not precisely. I bought 2 packa of Phanteks p/s cable extenders. 15$ per after discount. Usually these things go for about 35$ I think. I have 2 very non standard serverboards that I want to mount in cases not designed for them to say the least. I may need some help with cabling. If I don't use them I'm sure I can sell them quick (HA!). I'd a prefer tbey weren't red though.

Reply 1912 of 2072, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Tested the new monitors today, just hooked to laptop though... I hate them... they make my backgrounds show color banding, jaggies and artifacts.

... just kidding, I mean they really show up the compression, dithering etc of lower quality images, as a higher res display obviously would.

No real real complaints, to me they are VERY nice, but I don't do pro graphics work, I am happy that I will be able to use them for hours at a stretch.

Things that are better than expected... the stand looks flimsy, but it's made of an alloy, it's actually quite sturdy, looks like designer knew what he was doing engineering wise. Controls: I was seeing complaints they were in an awkward "reach around" position, maybe an earlier model, on mine they are right at the bottom right of the frame, clearly marked on front, with pips on the power button for identification and you can find/feel them very easily. The hookups are to the left, not very far behind the bezel, and you can do those by feel also... BUT.. this may be inconvenient if you want to double stack these vertically... yah, don't go planning your sub $1000 video wall with these yet, unless you're fine with only 2 high and invert the top row.

Things that are things, not sure they're good or bad really. I thought from other product detail pages (Place I bought just calls it a Sansui monitor, not a high tech place TBH) that I was getting a VGA port and a HDMI port, but nope, it's a DisplayPort and HDMI on this one. I am ambivalent about this, as I thought it unlikely I would be using these on machines that only only have analog VGA, and I am not ID ten Tee enough to get freaked out by needing to use an adapter if I really really want to. Sound: I didn't purchase these to listen to, they have "bare necessities" laptop quality speakers in. The sound volume is not very high with normal volumes maxed playing a blueray through the HDMI , quiet environment is fine, not gonna hear much if the neighbour mows the lawn. It's there. Build: they seem tightly put together, screens seem very slightly flexible, maybe enough to survive a knock where older methods would shatter, but I am not gonna "see where they break" so somewhere in the region of resilient, but not so heavily built it's own weight works against it, and not so hard as to be over fragile. "Frameless": not quite, there's about 2mm of plastic bezel and 4mm of panel edge, so as frameless as you get without paying horrendously through the nose for it, pretty respectable.

Visually, no complaints, I'd agree with others that said you get what you'd expect from midrange LG or Samsung, can't see flicker out of corner of my eye, dwell/motion-blur/frame lag isn't quite perceptible within the confines of the test hardware.

Untested, other screen modes than native, "game centering" feature, DisplayPort input, input switching, retro screen modes, etc and so forth, I suck at monitor reviews, this was really a quick checkout to make sure I didn't need to exchange them for non-functionality before store ran out. Manual with it was basic setup flyer and safety warnings, gotta pore over the one they've got on product page https://www.sansui-corp.com/eng/monitor/896.html

BitWrangler quick look verdict: 8/10
AI Sidekick verdict: 5 thumbs up.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 1913 of 2072, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

980ti FE hits 60% load and artifacts in 4k/60fps video playback. 1080p and 1440p is fine.

Reply 1914 of 2072, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Magic 8 ball says "No HVEC support"

edit: oops, yes HEVC as noted below, fingers wanted to type HVAC I guess.

Last edited by BitWrangler on 2023-07-03, 14:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1915 of 2072, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-07-03, 04:13:

This is why RX480 with its HEVC x265 support is still an AMD FineWine GPU 7 years after release..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1916 of 2072, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, but Nvidia GPUs released in 2016 also support HEVC. The 980Ti launched a year earlier, and is based on an architecture that originally launched in 2014.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 1917 of 2072, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote on 2023-07-03, 06:49:
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-07-03, 04:13:

This is why RX480 with its HEVC x265 support is still an AMD FineWine GPU 7 years after release..

Ironically enough there was a 4gb rx480 in my dad's spare PC, that went with a TV that burned out. So that got swapped over and I get to keep the 980ti while his old 4gb R9 290 gets swapped over to the backup PC xD working on getting the bios updated to the A11 Alienware bios and have a X5670 handy to swap in. It looks like Dell really screwed XPS 730x owners. Luckily someone figured out how to get the Alienware bios to flash because A1.0.0 was absolute trash, and A5 fixed some things but isn't very good.

Reply 1918 of 2072, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm this got me thinking about a GM206 GTX 960 for the daily driver.

edit: and looking into encode and decode bits and pieces further, a HD8570 I saw cheap might actually be useful for H.264 stuff.

Reply 1919 of 2072, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well I wanted something that wouldn't struggle too much with my new monitors, in 3D at native 1080p res of course, but not super loud or powerhungry for the box they are going with, which is the i7 Thinkcenter I picked up a while back... so ended up grabbing a cheap GTX 1060 off eBay, might have to mod the cooling will see how it goes. Just paid today, so still in flight. I was gonna use the 650ti but that was when I was gonna be using a 1600x900 24"