VOGONS

Reply 20 of 81, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerwin wrote on 2023-07-19, 14:23:
Stermy57 wrote on 2023-07-19, 10:30:

The only real disadvantage is the lack of ISA slots.

Again not theiceman085's concern. But another thing about i815 boards is their lack of slot-1 CPU interface. So no Slotket tweaks and Pentium II support.

Unless you count the Abit SH6 😉 but that is unfortunately so rare, that I've more or less given up on finding one ...

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 21 of 81, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shevalier wrote on 2023-07-19, 08:55:
sis 635t ? […]
Show full quote
H3nrik V! wrote on 2023-07-19, 08:22:

(but what isn't slower than BX? 🤣)

sis 635t ?

SiS 635T (ECS P6S5AT) – Hail to the King
Fastest Tualatin Chipset / Best Pentium III Motherboard

PS. VIA chipsets are highly dependent of the implementation of the BIOS, so you won't be able to take any board on the VIA694T.
It takes a long time and tedious to choose a specific model.

Ah, yeah, I didn't think of that, partly because I'm admittedly an Intel fanboy, and partly from my one experience with a SiS chipset. (645 on an Asus P4s333, it was unstable at anything but stock speed on a P4 1.6A, which ran at 2.4 for years and years after being moved to an Abit with some Intel 845 ddr)

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 22 of 81, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
H3nrik V! wrote on 2023-07-19, 15:47:

Again not theiceman085's concern. But another thing about i815 boards is their lack of slot-1 CPU interface. So no Slotket tweaks and Pentium II support.

Unless you count the Abit SH6 😉 but that is unfortunately so rare, that I've more or less given up on finding one ...

Cool find! Just looked up an image of that board, to save in my "interesting" motherboard archive. 😉 Anandtech: ABIT SH6 Slot-1 i815E ATX. Strange to read the maximum voltage is 1,9V. Pentium II requires 2,0 or 2,8V.
On second look. That Anandtech photo with the Slot-1 CPU with that Golden Orb Cooler. It looks very familiar. It may just be, that that CPU+Cooler ended up in my drawer. It was offered together with an Abit motherboard years ago, but I only bought the CPU+cooler. Have to check...

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 23 of 81, by theiceman085

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stermy57 wrote on 2023-07-19, 10:30:

The only real disadvantage is the lack of ISA slots.

Thanks for the info. Pentium 2 support would be interesting indeed but it is not needed for Voodoo 3 machine. My first rig with the Intel 44box chipset (an Asus p2b) is already equipped with a pentium 2. I am using p2 400 MHz with it and it runs really well.

Reply 24 of 81, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bloodem wrote on 2023-07-19, 06:36:

Personally, on these faster platforms, I prefer a GeForce 2 GTS (or GeForce 3) + Voodoo 2 combo, because it gives you the best of both worlds: 32 bit color and great performance at higher resolutions in most Direct3D/OpenGL titles + compatibility with almost all Glide exclusive games (including DOS Glide games).

I just turned up a 900Mhz Duron which "I ought to do something with" So started thinking along those lines for something in around the same performance/timescale ballpark. Voodoo2 plus GeForce 3, on a SDRAM socket A board. Though I might go weird and put the Xabre 200 on it.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 25 of 81, by theiceman085

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-07-19, 17:53:
bloodem wrote on 2023-07-19, 06:36:

Personally, on these faster platforms, I prefer a GeForce 2 GTS (or GeForce 3) + Voodoo 2 combo, because it gives you the best of both worlds: 32 bit color and great performance at higher resolutions in most Direct3D/OpenGL titles + compatibility with almost all Glide exclusive games (including DOS Glide games).

I just turned up a 900Mhz Duron which "I ought to do something with" So started thinking along those lines for something in around the same performance/timescale ballpark. Voodoo2 plus GeForce 3, on a SDRAM socket A board. Though I might go weird and put the Xabre 200 on it.

A combo system with 3dfx card and a direct 3d card like bloodem recommended is really a neat solution as well. Have to admit that was also my plan for my glide machine. But then I saw a V3 at a cheaper price than usual (still not cheap but cheaper) and I could not resist. That's why I need to focus on getting out the most of the V3.

It is not going to be as flexibel as voodoo 2 with geforce 2 or 3 but I believe it will serve me well as glide-only machine.

For the more advanced D3d games I can use my first intel 440bx system.

Reply 26 of 81, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerwin wrote on 2023-07-19, 16:02:
H3nrik V! wrote on 2023-07-19, 15:47:

Cool find! Just looked up an image of that board, to save in my "interesting" motherboard archive. 😉 Anandtech: ABIT SH6 Slot-1 i815E ATX. Strange to read the maximum voltage is 1,9V. Pentium II requires 2,0 or 2,8V.
On second look. That Anandtech photo with the Slot-1 CPU with that Golden Orb Cooler. It looks very familiar. It may just be, that that CPU+Cooler ended up in my drawer. It was offered together with an Abit motherboard years ago, but I only bought the CPU+cooler. Have to check...

Maybe they didn't bother making it backwards compatible all the way to P-II?

Reply 27 of 81, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

SH6 manual mentions Pentium II. And the screenshot from BIOS shows 2.00 volts, so maybe .. I would really want one either way: 🤣:

Reply 28 of 81, by theiceman085

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
H3nrik V! wrote on 2023-07-19, 21:56:

SH6 manual mentions Pentium II. And the screenshot from BIOS shows 2.00 volts, so maybe .. I would really want one either way: 🤣:

I can relate to that. The Abit SH6 looks interesting indeed. But like you said it is really are nowadays and even if you find a listing ebay it is not cheap at all. My Asus p2b for my first p2 400 MHz was not cheap as well but compared to the abit sh6 prices it was a bargain. I am not complaining though. I am using my p2 system almost daily and the aus board runs like a champ.

Due to my good experience with Asus in the retro sector so far I will look into the ASUS CUSL2 you recommended.

I will also check out if I can find some i815 boards made by Intel.

Reply 29 of 81, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Depending on budget and localization an Asus TUSL might also be an option, the only reason that I don't have one is shipping cost and risk of customs wanting a bite of the cake ...

Reply 30 of 81, by shevalier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
H3nrik V! wrote on 2023-07-20, 15:23:

Depending on budget and localization an Asus TUSL might also be an option, the only reason that I don't have one is shipping cost and risk of customs wanting a bite of the cake ...

Oh yeah!
The legendary motherboard is infamous for its network card.

which is not 😀

Intel motherboards are great because they just work.

But D815eea not support tualatin core.
Apparently, the only version of this board with official FC-PGA2 support is the D815EEA2U, the U being clearly marked on the board

Attachments

• d815eea intel.jpg
    Filename
    d815eea intel.jpg
    File size
    61.03 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Aopen MX3S, PIII-S Tualatin 1133, Radeon 9800Pro@XT BIOS, Diamond monster sound MX300
JetWay K8T8AS, Athlon DH-E6 3000+, Radeon HD2600Pro AGP, Audigy 2 Value

Reply 31 of 81, by theiceman085

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the recommendation. I will look into the Asus TUSL as well. But high shipping costs are potential extra demands by customs could also be a problem for me.

Reply 32 of 81, by theiceman085

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shevalier wrote on 2023-07-20, 16:59:
Intel motherboards are great because they just work. […]
Show full quote

Oh yeah!

which is not 😀

Apparently, the only version of this board with official FC-PGA2 support is the D815EEA2U, the U being clearly marked on the board

Thanks for your reply as well. I also think that the intel boards are a good pick if I want something that is just known to work. That's exactly what I am looking for.

Finding a good mb that supports Tualatin is not going to be easy in general. It also would not be a cheap endeavor in general.

The Intel 815EA looks quite good and is worth picking if I can find it at a good price.

@all what are your thoughts on motherboards with via chipsets? A viable alternative for the i815? There are not many mainboards with a via chipset that also have Tualetin support but it still enhance my list of potential motherboards.

Reply 33 of 81, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
theiceman085 wrote on 2023-07-20, 20:11:

Thanks for the recommendation. I will look into the Asus TUSL as well. But high shipping costs are potential extra demands by customs could also be a problem for me.

Hadn't considered looking at your profile, since a lot don't list their country 🤣 but yeah, you're in the EU as well as I, and most TUSL2-C are in US or Asia. There are a couple for sale in Hungary, though, however, they're on the edge of what I'm willing to pay ...

Reply 34 of 81, by mmx_91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Show full quote

Oh yeah!

which is not 😀

Another option is to get a modded Tualatin from the Korean guy on ebay for example, and run it on the D815EEA with P10 bios. At least in my country you can still find these kind of boards for cheap on second hand portals.

Mine runs perfectly fine with a modded P3-S 1266, those Intel boards are amazingly stable. No overclocking and advanced bios options however.

Reply 35 of 81, by theiceman085

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
H3nrik V! wrote on 2023-07-20, 20:34:
theiceman085 wrote on 2023-07-20, 20:11:

Depending on budget and localization an Asus TUSL might also be an option, the only reason that I don't have one is the shipping cost and risk of customs wanting a bite of the cake ...

Hadn't considered looking at your profile, since a lot don't list their country 🤣 but yeah, you're in the EU as well as I and most TUSL2-C are in US or Asia. There are a couple for sale in Hungary, though, however, they're on the edge of what I'm willing to pay ...

Yes, that's the same impression I had. It is really hard to find one of these mb from European sellers and even if there are some they are on the rather expensive side. I keep a close eye on the market situation from now on and maybe I will find a good offer at some point in the future.

Show full quote

Oh yeah!

which is not 😀

Another option is to get a modded Tualatin from the Korean guy on ebay for example, and run it on the D815EEA with P10 bios. At least in my country you can still find these kind of boards for cheap on second hand portals.

Mine runs perfectly fine with a modded P3-S 1266, those Intel boards are amazingly stable. No overclocking and advanced bios options however.
[/quote]

I did not that there chances to get a modded Tualatin. Thanks for mentioning that option. I will look into it asap.

Reply 36 of 81, by mmx_91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
theiceman085 wrote:

I did not that there chances to get a modded Tualatin. Thanks for mentioning that option. I will look into it asap.

This is the one I bought in case it's helpful: https://www.ebay.es/itm/281238323137

Good luck with your search!

Reply 37 of 81, by Grem Five

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hadn't considered looking at your profile, since a lot don't list their country 🤣 but yeah, you're in the EU as well as I, and most TUSL2-C are in US or Asia. There are a couple for sale in Hungary, though, however, they're on the edge of what I'm willing to pay ...

I dont know where to find TUSL2-C now but a couple of years ago the most reasonable place I found to get them from was from one seller in Ukraine. Thats where I got mine from for about $35 USD and saw him have more than quite a few he sold and more then I generally ever saw for sale in the USA. Unfortunately his listings have sharply dropped off in the last couple of years, I hope he is ok and doing well.

Reply 38 of 81, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Grem Five wrote on 2023-07-21, 00:01:

I dont know where to find TUSL2-C now but a couple of years ago the most reasonable place I found to get them from was from one seller in Ukraine. Thats where I got mine from for about $35 USD and saw him have more than quite a few he sold and more then I generally ever saw for sale in the USA. Unfortunately his listings have sharply dropped off in the last couple of years, I hope he is ok and doing well.

Wonder if that's the Ukrainian seller that I'm following as well. He actually has a TUSL board once in a while still. But customs from outside the EU has become quite pricey ...

Reply 39 of 81, by shevalier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mmx_91 wrote on 2023-07-20, 20:42:

Another option is to get a modded Tualatin from the Korean guy on ebay for example, and run it on the D815EEA with P10 bios. At least in my country you can still find these kind of boards for cheap on second hand portals. And some epoxy.

There is nothing to do there anyway - just unsolder a couple of pins in the socket, drill a couple of holes in the board and solder a little.

mmx_91 wrote on 2023-07-20, 20:42:

But still only 124MHz with 1GB of RAM. 🙁
I hate asus.

But the easiest way is to take as a board with Tualatin's support, for example, Aopen MX3S-T.

Attachments

Aopen MX3S, PIII-S Tualatin 1133, Radeon 9800Pro@XT BIOS, Diamond monster sound MX300
JetWay K8T8AS, Athlon DH-E6 3000+, Radeon HD2600Pro AGP, Audigy 2 Value