Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 361 of 408, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

New motherboard, not available on TheRetroWeb. Included is a POST screen image (No BIOS String for vendor, generic BIOS). I have not dumped the BIOS yet (I will).

Any hep with ID would be appreciated.

Attachments

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 362 of 408, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2023-06-11, 19:20:

New motherboard, not available on TheRetroWeb. Included is a POST screen image (No BIOS String for vendor, generic BIOS). I have not dumped the BIOS yet (I will).

Any help with ID would be appreciated.

Page was made:
https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/zeta-i … ltd-peter-386sx

We know what company made it. There is no information on the NEC chip. That is about it. I know there are tools to make an educated guess on what chipset was used from the bios but I can't find them right now. I'll post your dump on the discord server with a note that we don't know what chip it is and usually someone will try and identify it.

Reply 364 of 408, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PcBytes wrote on 2023-05-04, 17:26:
evasive wrote on 2023-05-04, 15:49:

I wish there was a way to put a checkmark on a posting that it's done. Bios has been added.

No biggie. Here's another one I found so far. Version 2.25, came from a Medion link (this one to be exact)

POST string: 04/19/2004-Springdale-G-6A79AM4DC-00.

Added and all 3 marked as Medion OEM

Reply 365 of 408, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ZIDA 5DHX
https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/zida-5dhx-ver.-1.20

Photo on site is kind of dark, and I think it's the 256K cache version. Here's a photo of the 512K version. The PCB is the same revision but this one has some areas populated that the current photo does not.

P.S. I will post the BIOS dump from the PETER-386SX board tonight.

Attachments

Reply 366 of 408, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
evasive wrote on 2023-06-28, 09:56:
Page was made: https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/zeta-i … ltd-peter-386sx […]
Show full quote
appiah4 wrote on 2023-06-11, 19:20:

Any help with ID would be appreciated.

Page was made:
https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/zeta-i … ltd-peter-386sx

We know what company made it. There is no information on the NEC chip. That is about it. I know there are tools to make an educated guess on what chipset was used from the bios but I can't find them right now. I'll post your dump on the discord server with a note that we don't know what chip it is and usually someone will try and identify it.

Here's the BIOS dump.

Attachments

Reply 367 of 408, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another one:

EPoX EP-4PLAI-A
https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/epox-p … onix-ep-4plai-a

Board photos:

file.php?mode=view&id=169228
file.php?mode=view&id=169229

BIOS:

download/file.php?mode=view&id=169230

POST strings:
12/02/2004 For Intel Breeds Hill Chipset
12/02/2004-Breeds-6A79APAUC-00

Attachments

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 368 of 408, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Re: This motherboard—can someone identify it?
https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/jetway-j-403tg-v1.0 D2E, D2F
https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/edom-w … ech-mv035-rev.c D2C
https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/edom-w … ech-mv035-rev.f MV035F, mistakenly D2F again
https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/edom-wintech-mv035 MV035
https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/bek-tronic-bek-v429s V429s VER2.0

according to http://leoandfanny.bplaced.net/vintagecompute … V035/index.html there are even more versions, for example
"MV035 Rev.F":

s-l1600.jpg
Filename
s-l1600.jpg
File size
260.78 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

"MV035 Rev.C":

b83f3aa543ffb502dbdd89840dc8.jpg
Filename
b83f3aa543ffb502dbdd89840dc8.jpg
File size
148.56 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

"MV035 Rev.F" except no VLB, no cache, no 3.3V:

s-l1600 (3).jpg
Filename
s-l1600 (3).jpg
File size
556.47 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
s-l1600 (2).jpg
Filename
s-l1600 (2).jpg
File size
511.99 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
s-l1600 (1).jpg
Filename
s-l1600 (1).jpg
File size
576.63 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Same motherboard source with slight modifications and different options fitted (3.3V,cache,keyboard controller, jumpers) sold by different labels? Jumper descriptions are almost same (later rev gains few jumpers), and Its more than very likely bioses are interchangeable.

Is there some clever way of linking all those entries together? or showing related database entries?

Last edited by rasz_pl on 2023-08-06, 08:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 369 of 408, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

one more
"MV035 Rev.D":

1_6d863b4fbf9eec079ee32baf18b27287.jpg
Filename
1_6d863b4fbf9eec079ee32baf18b27287.jpg
File size
240.64 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 370 of 408, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Currently we do not have a versioning system in place. I'm trying to make heads or tails from this lot. It's clear all were made by Lucky Star and many were marketed under Edom/Wintech.

I may be able to list the revisions under Notes with links to the other pages but guarantee will be as far as I can throw the links.

Reply 371 of 408, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I do think you guys are doing a good job and..Well it was too bad I had to post a complaint to get the OP's attention, if I would have just posted a "hey this page xxx needs updating" it would have been ignored like everything else in both OP's topics since July.
For the record I did offer to help edit pages back 2020 and 2021 but was told that things were not ready for that, so I did what I could submitting stuff here and thru PM's to two of you as much as possible.
I am a big boy so if the OP wants to attack me with names, just for a complaint, that is a-okay. He hadn't posted anything here since January and it is not elitist to expect the OP to come back and check their topics, that is common sense.
The method I chose to do it may seem ugly but sometimes you have to make some noise to get someones attention. At least now there is an email linked in the other topic so members can submit stuff.
Sorry to hear about your job issues evasive, hope it all works out ok..

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 372 of 408, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I absolutely love The Retro Web. I use it almost daily. I've also submitted ROM dumps. That said, I agree with the criticisms that the project operates as a black box. Doing submissions through Discord is bonkers. It's possible to love and respect something, yet have criticisms about it. I wouldn't even bother criticizing if I didn't care.

Reply 373 of 408, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I can not for the life of me figure out how to submit shit to TRW through Discord..

Reply 374 of 408, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Since other thread got closed Ill repost here Re: [CLOSED] The Retro Web submissions thread: suggest edits and/or add new boards here:
---------------------------------------------------
About https://blog.theretroweb.com/2023/04/25/the-r … ing-volunteers/
readme.md appears slightly outdated. Debian 12 wouldnt work with php8.0. I had to (disclaimer, I dont know what Im doing, >10 years out of managing linux boxes):
-sudo apt install php8.0 php8.0-mbstring php8.0-dom php8.0-gd php8.0-intl php8.0-pgsql php8.0-xsl
+sudo apt install php8.2 php8.2-{mbstring,dom,gd,intl,pgsql,xsl}
+composer require symfony/stimulus-bundle
+yarn upgrade webpack@^5.0.0

\i database.pgsql
//generated some errors:

psql:database.pgsql:46218: ERROR:  insert or update on table "chip_image" violates foreign key constraint "fk_e3ead662df91ac92"
DETAIL: Key (creditor_id)=(6) is not present in table "creditor".

-yarn dev encore --watch
//doesnt work "Unknown command or entry 'encore'"
+yarn encore dev
//works, no idea if it does the business

-symfony serve -d --document-root=./
+symfony serve -d --document-root=./public
//only place with index.php

An exception occurred while executing a query: SQLSTATE[42703]: Undefined column: 7 ERROR: column m0_.slug does not exist
LINE 1: ...dited AS last_edited_4, m0_.max_cpu AS max_cpu_5, m0_.slug A...

debian:/var/www/ultimateretro$ grep -roaF .slug ./ |tail -n1
./migrations/Version20220506194008.php:.slug
cat ./migrations/Version20220506194008.php

// this up() migration is auto-generated, please modify it to your needs
$this->addSql('ALTER TABLE motherboard ADD slug VARCHAR(80)');

psql:

SELECT column_name 
FROM information_schema.columns
WHERE table_schema = 'public'
AND table_name = 'motherboard';
column_name | id
column_name | manufacturer_id
column_name | chipset_id
column_name | form_factor_id
column_name | video_chipset_id
column_name | max_video_ram_id
column_name | audio_chipset_id
column_name | name
column_name | dimensions
column_name | note
column_name | last_edited
column_name | max_cpu

"slug" column missing, /migrations arent being executed?
TLDR: cant bootstrap the repo as is by my own, I need some help.
---------------------------------------------------

Reply 375 of 408, by Oerg866

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kingcake wrote on 2023-10-29, 21:02:

I absolutely love The Retro Web. I use it almost daily. I've also submitted ROM dumps. That said, I agree with the criticisms that the project operates as a black box. Doing submissions through Discord is bonkers. It's possible to love and respect something, yet have criticisms about it. I wouldn't even bother criticizing if I didn't care.

What exactly do you detest?

The convenience?

The ability to add many files related to your submission along with previews of all relevant files in an unified UI?

The ability to edit your submission if you have further things to add or corrections to make?

The ability to automatically analyze BIOS files on the server?

Getting instant feedback by the staff?

I get not liking centralized communications solutions like Discord, but calling TheRetroWeb's Discord a "black box" is unfathomably far from the truth that I don't even know how to respond to it, because I'm physically incapable of thinking that thought... The server is public, it can be joined by anyone and every other user is able to see every submission, *and* the content then is added to the website, which is public and indexed by Google.

I agree that using it as an information database is a bad idea - that's why TRW isn't doing that 😜

appiah4 wrote on 2023-10-30, 17:17:

I can not for the life of me figure out how to submit shit to TRW through Discord..

Uhh....

It's... literally a big blue button and we give you an example to guide you through the rest?

image.png?ex=6552be72&is=65404972&hm=09cfca1fbe1bc3e8eb88528e6a007c34c2194fce95c797360445d679ba538189&

That being said, for the 517958th time, the other "official" way for submissions is through email.

Thanks for all the support!

Reply 376 of 408, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Oerg866 wrote on 2023-10-31, 00:26:

That being said, for the 517958th time, the other "official" way for submissions is through email.

Good for you to point that out and actually it has only been mentioned here at Vogons about 5 or 6 times and only in the last week after my complaint, but who's counting ;p
And thank you for calling me a privileged prick.
I do appreciate that 🤣
Fascinating that a complaint brings name calling by a few. Have and will always respect Deksor and Evasive for their opinions, the good work they did here and do there, and the men they are.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 377 of 408, by Oerg866

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Has it ever occurred to you that you *are* one?

I have to rethink my using your website as my first "go to" if you cannot update your info AND this board should have been on updated your website long ago... sigh
And to think you all asked us other members here for help as you built the website...just my opinion...

Your lack of self awareness is extremely worrying. If I were you I would think about how your post caused the entire TRW staff to unanimously decide to refuse further input from this place.

You're not paying for a service. You're not owed anything.

Your attitude and sense of entitlement is something just on another level than what usually goes on here.

Reply 378 of 408, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Oerg866 wrote on 2023-10-31, 00:26:

[...]

Just my 50c.

I use TRW a lot, I love the way the community is expanding the TH99 base and the site is already a lot more usable than TH99 ever was. I also am appalled at the tone of some discussions going on here and in the other thread.

But I really think the feedback on method and ease of contributing is worth trying to understand. Just looking at this from a personal point of view, I like contributing to community projects. I've been a moderator on tech web forums for over two decades now, I occasionally post stuff on Wikipedia and I regularly do on Wikivoyage. I also happen to have a lot of retro computing stuff and habitually look up documentation of said stuff when trying to figure out what to do with it. So contributing to TRW would be natural. Unfortunately I can't say I've ever done so - even though I was triggered to do so quite a few times (basically whenever I find a motherboard that isn't already in there). I take one look at 'send someone an email' or 'sign up with Discord' or (until recently) 'post in this rambling topic' and nope out. Now, that could be a personal moral failing, but I'm clearly not the only one who feels that way and so long as that is happening, TRW is missing out on content that could have been there.

I really get that TRW is primarily about the content and effort is focused on that above all else - but that's the whole point: if the current interface to contribute content doesn't work for some people (regardless of there being others for whom it works perfectly), the site is missing out on content that could be there. Which is a shame as it is such a great initiative that deserves all we can do for it.

Reply 379 of 408, by computerguy08

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2023-10-31, 02:41:

Have and will always respect Deksor and Evasive for their opinions, the good work they did here and do there, and the men they are.

I suppose by this you are hinting that you don't respect me or the other team members. Interesting to say the least, but I will not comment on that, each with their opinions about others.

Horun wrote on 2023-10-31, 02:41:

Good for you to point that out and actually it has only been mentioned here at Vogons about 5 or 6 times and only in the last week after my complaint, but who's counting ;p

The email box has been present on the footer of TRW, in every single page for at least a year. We also have an info page with a dedicated section for how to contribute and some basic guidelines, also in the footer of every page. Should I assume you haven't actually used the site?

All this makes me thing that you expect the vogons thread to be the main channel for board submissions, and that's why you are in demand of a response (which I'll add, the fact you chose to do this in a passive aggressive manner makes it even worse, we do not owe you anything or any kind of explanations). Unfortunately, this couldn't be further from the truth, it was never the main submission channel, thus never had priority, and that's for a single fact: we all have a personal life, with jobs and other things to do, we can't be always online everywhere. Even with our Discord and email submissions we have a hard time keeping up, so there's never been a lack of content to add to the site.

I did not want to have such an aggressive response, but you chose to throw stones at us instead of trying to reach out via other means, therefore you shouldn't have expected daisies in return.

dionb wrote on 2023-10-31, 14:43:
Just my 50c. […]
Show full quote

Just my 50c.

I use TRW a lot, I love the way the community is expanding the TH99 base and the site is already a lot more usable than TH99 ever was. I also am appalled at the tone of some discussions going on here and in the other thread.

But I really think the feedback on method and ease of contributing is worth trying to understand. Just looking at this from a personal point of view, I like contributing to community projects. I've been a moderator on tech web forums for over two decades now, I occasionally post stuff on Wikipedia and I regularly do on Wikivoyage. I also happen to have a lot of retro computing stuff and habitually look up documentation of said stuff when trying to figure out what to do with it. So contributing to TRW would be natural. Unfortunately I can't say I've ever done so - even though I was triggered to do so quite a few times (basically whenever I find a motherboard that isn't already in there). I take one look at 'send someone an email' or 'sign up with Discord' or (until recently) 'post in this rambling topic' and nope out. Now, that could be a personal moral failing, but I'm clearly not the only one who feels that way and so long as that is happening, TRW is missing out on content that could have been there.

I really get that TRW is primarily about the content and effort is focused on that above all else - but that's the whole point: if the current interface to contribute content doesn't work for some people (regardless of there being others for whom it works perfectly), the site is missing out on content that could be there. Which is a shame as it is such a great initiative that deserves all we can do for it.

The main problem with a wiki style feedback system is the complete lack of control over what's submitted. Because we're getting increasingly mentioned on other social platforms like YouTube, we're getting an exponential interest increase, which attracts a lot of spam. In fact, we even did a test run with the mediawiki instance we launched not long ago, and it turns out to be a nightmare to maintain. Basically, it ended up being flooded by spam posts after a short time and we had to pull it offline. So the only solution is to have some sort of restriction over how submissions are done. In fact, we just spent the last few months doing a complete rework of the backend, to get it prepared for an enhanced user submission system.

We understand "post info in X place (whether it's discord or a forum) and pray an admin responds and adds your info" is not the ideal method, but it's the best one we have so far and we're working to replace it with something better. It's just, you have to be respectful of us (not you in particular dionb, I mean people in general) and not demand answers, none of us has any obligations in this project, we don't get paid, it's all voluntary work. And unfortunately, vogons has been the only place where people have been rude and demanding.